Sony KDL40V3000 questions

deadman1206

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just started using KDL40V3000 recently and I'm pleased so far.

If I play a DVD through my 360 (which upscales) connected via HDMI it looks normal but if I use my DVD player connected via SCART (the DVD player doesn't upscale) it looks kind of the same but any (fast) movements look weird. The movements look fast, unnatural and weird compared to when using the 360. How can I make it look normal with the DVD player? I've checked and I can't seem to find any kind of motion enhancer settings.

In general how many hours should I use it before calibrating? Will using THX optimizer give a good calibration?

What's the purpose of theatre mode or cinema mode? I mean does it actually make movies look the way the director intended or is a good calibration better?

Thanks.

It could be the deinterlacing of the picture. With the 360 upscaling, you're feeding a progressive picture and the xbox deinterlacing is probably doing a better job than the TV is.

What setting is your SCART set to? RGB, S video or composite? If it has component output, you might be better off trying that instead of using scart

It could be the deinterlacing of the picture. With the 360 upscaling, you're feeding a progressive picture and the xbox deinterlacing is probably doing a better job than the TV is.

What setting is your SCART set to? RGB, S video or composite? If it has component output, you might be better off trying that instead of using scart

The DVD player only has SCART and AV (old school DVD player), will they both give the same picture? The SCART is set to S-video, are composite or RGB better?

Anyway I managed to fix it by going into advanced settings and turning everything off. I also calibrated it using THX optimizer, it looks better than before.

One other problem I'm having. When I play the game Dead Rising on my 360. If I play the game with the 360 set to 1080p a horizontal line constantly appears on the screen. If I set the 360 to 1080i the line is still there but its effect is decreased significantly. If I set it to 720p it works without the line but I would prefer to play in 1080p. I mentioned Dead Rising specifically because it's the only game this is happening with, other games are fine in 1080p. 360 is connected via HDMI. Also does anyone else find that games look better with the default vivid setting?

And does anyone else find no/very little difference between upscaled DVDs and non-upscaled ones?

The DVD player only has SCART and AV (old school DVD player), will they both give the same picture? The SCART is set to S-video, are composite or RGB better?

Anyway I managed to fix it by going into advanced settings and turning everything off. I also calibrated it using THX optimizer, it looks better than before.

One other problem I'm having. When I play the game Dead Rising on my 360. If I play the game with the 360 set to 1080p a horizontal line constantly appears on the screen. If I set the 360 to 1080i the line is still there but its effect is decreased significantly. If I set it to 720p it works without the line but I would prefer to play in 1080p. I mentioned Dead Rising specifically because it's the only game this is happening with, other games are fine in 1080p. 360 is connected via HDMI. Also does anyone else find that games look better with the default vivid setting?

And does anyone else find no/very little difference between upscaled DVDs and non-upscaled ones?
If your player doesn't have component out, then the likelihood is that RGB will be best.
From highest to lowest quality:
Component / RGB
S-video
composite.

The only gotcha is that I think not all SCART sockets on the back of the V3000 are RGB compliant - you'll need to check.

Not sure about the line you mention.

If your player doesn't have component out, then the likelihood is that RGB will be best.
From highest to lowest quality:
Component / RGB
S-video
composite.

The only gotcha is that I think not all SCART sockets on the back of the V3000 are RGB compliant - you'll need to check.

Not sure about the line you mention.

Thanks. Looking at forums it seems that other people have the same problem with the game so I'll just have to live with it in 720p.

Also are SCART and AV the same for quality?

Thanks. Looking at forums it seems that other people have the same problem with the game so I'll just have to live with it in 720p.

Also are SCART and AV the same for quality?

Scart is just a connection, you can have composite Scart and RGB Scart with RGB providing a much better picture.

As for AV I assume you mean Composite which would be the worst possible connection you can use.

Scart is just a connection, you can have composite Scart and RGB Scart with RGB providing a much better picture.

As for AV I assume you mean Composite which would be the worst possible connection you can use.

Isn't composite just connecting by SCART and setting to composite? Or is SCART just the connection like you said?

By AV I mean the three wire like this

http://www.adventistsat.com/mmatv/Images/RCAMM.JPG

Can those only be set to composite?

Isn't composite just connecting by SCART and setting to composite?

By AV I mean the three wire like this

http://www.adventistsat.com/mmatv/Images/RCAMM.JPG

The yellow/red/white cables you linked to are Composite, you can also output composite through a Scart cable.

As said before Composite is the worst possible quality, the best you will probaley be able to get is RGB Scart but you might want to think about upgrading your DVD player to one with HDMI or Component.

The yellow/red/white cables you linked to are Composite, you can also output composite through a Scart cable.

As said before Composite is the worst possible quality, the best you will probaley be able to get is RGB Scart but you might want to think about upgrading your DVD player to one with HDMI or Component.

Thanks. About a new DVD player. If I don't recognize much difference using the 360 (connected via HDMI and set to 1080p) would a new DVD player really look much better?

Thanks. About a new DVD player. If I don't recognize much difference using the 360 (connected via HDMI and set to 1080p) would a new DVD player really look much better?

Not really, I ment it would be best to get a new dvd player instead of using your current one through Scart.

It depends on the quality of the upscaler built into the 360 and how it compares to the one on the new DVD player and the one built into the TV.
I bought a Denon DVD1940 and have tested the picture quality and the Denon certenly seems to do a better job at upscaling. I put in harry potter and the order of the phoenix and start playing from chapter 2 or 3 (where they are sitting at the table in the house) which seems very grainy with the TV upscaling but a lot better with the Denon doing it. It seems to be a particularly bad scene for grain though.

Is a bit of ghosting normal on SD content? I didn't recognize it before but when I was watching Simpsons I saw some ghosting with the text in the credits. What do I need to change to remove the ghosting?

I need help with the calibration. I set it with THX Optimizer and it looks better than the old vivid settings, I also turned off all of the enhancements. I'm not sure about the contrast though, at all the contrast settings except the very max you can see the 8 boxes quite clearly. Both brightness and contrast are around 60 now.

Also is it normal if some stuff appears very white in vivid and when set to my settings it appears gray? I'm just unsure because I thought setting it properly makes whites look white.

I need help with the calibration. I set it with THX Optimizer and it looks better than the old vivid settings, I also turned off all of the enhancements. I'm not sure about the contrast though, at all the contrast settings except the very max you can see the 8 boxes quite clearly. Both brightness and contrast are around 60 now.

Also is it normal if some stuff appears very white in vivid and when set to my settings it appears gray? I'm just unsure because I thought setting it properly makes whites look white.

Deadman1206,

I found this page useful to calibrate the "Cinema" setting on my V3000:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W3000/Settings.php

The settings are for a W3000 but seem to work well on a V3000 and to my eyes look a lot better than the default setting when you push the "Theatre" button. This mode is good for watching DVD/Blu-Ray movies and is closer to the colours that the Director intended us too see.

As for other calibration settings check out this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666200&highlight=kdl40v3000+calibration

I've tried the calibration settings from Spank-A-Thon on page 2 of this thread for the "Standard" mode and am still undecided. When playing Call Of Duty 4 the default "Standard" settings still seem to be clearer than Spank-A-Thon's.

The Order of the Phoenix DVD just seems to be a really bad DVD for pixellation. There's a conspiracy theory that the big media companies are purposely pumping out poor Standard Def DVDs to encourage us to buy HD/Blue Ray players - not sure I subscribe to that idea, but anyway... There are some screenshots in the following forum of how ridiculously bad Harry Potter looks (I'm new to the forums, avsforum vs. avforums,??):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=955794

I have a 4-day old KDL46V3000 with the Bravia DAVHDX900W
DVD/Home Theatre combo, and this Potter film was the second DVD I played on my system. I was ready to return the whole system after watching Order of the Phoenix - it was that bad.

I rented 'Rescue Dawn' the next night and was much happier - stunning picture quality.

I'm pretty happy with my settings now. Just 2 questions

What is the standard color temperature - Warm1 or Warm2?

Should sharpness be minimal or zero? I have mine about halfway but I just read on a website that it adds aritifical edges and should be 0.

Try my settings for the v3000:

Picture mode: cinema
Backlight: 4
Contrast : 87
Brightness: 48
Colour: 55
Colour temp: warm 1
Sharpness: 8 (min/0 is blurry)
Everything else off and colour space = standard

I use this on Sky and xbox 360

Is a bit of ghosting normal on SD content? I didn't recognize it before but when I was watching Simpsons I saw some ghosting with the text in the credits. What do I need to change to remove the ghosting?

By ghosting, do you mean something like this?

ghosting.jpg

If it's around text, you're probably seeing edge enhancement which is caused by having the Sharpness control set too high, or it may be a fault present in the source.

"Vivid" mode will be adding a blue tint to the whites, which is incorrect - according to the D65 standard, the whites should appear slightly "warm". A good test, I find, is to hold up a piece of white paper to the screen - you'll notice that the settings HDTVTest recommend will more closely match this "real world white" compared to the blue-tinted setting.

miked44 said:
The Order of the Phoenix DVD just seems to be a really bad DVD for pixellation. There's a conspiracy theory that the big media companies are purposely pumping out poor Standard Def DVDs to encourage us to buy HD/Blue Ray players - not sure I subscribe to that idea, but anyway...
Well, I'm a DVD author myself, and can tell you that the picture quality of big releases you see on SD DVD nowhere near approaches the quality possible on the format. I can't point fingers either, but take from what what you will :)

Thanks Lyris.

What does color space do?

Btw this is what I'm using:

Contrast - 72
Brightness - 62
Color - 55
Color temp - Warm1
Backlight - 6
Sharpness - 12 (not sure about this)
All enhancements off

On these TVs, you SHOULD be able to use Contrast at Max. Brightness 62 sounds odd, on most of the Sony range, I'd expect to see values of around 45-50 (62 sounds like it will be giving you dark grey instead of blacks?)

Sharpness should probably be set to 0 but can't confirm that myself.

As for Colour Space, keep it on Standard. "Wide" basically pushes the colour gamut even further "out-of-spec" to create a richer looking picture.

Are the V3000 sets really rebadged W2000s?. I'm terrified at getting another Sony screen with colour smearing issues after testing numerous W3000/X3000's. I know as a fact the W2000 sets don't have this colour smearing. I've considered buying a w2000 at today's close out prices but I would rather have the 24p playback, which the Sony sets seem to get right!

Man... so much hassle.

On these TVs, you SHOULD be able to use Contrast at Max. Brightness 62 sounds odd, on most of the Sony range, I'd expect to see values of around 45-50 (62 sounds like it will be giving you dark grey instead of blacks?)

Sharpness should probably be set to 0 but can't confirm that myself.

As for Colour Space, keep it on Standard. "Wide" basically pushes the colour gamut even further "out-of-spec" to create a richer looking picture.

Contrast on Max? Wouldn't that make it look like the vivid settings and you can't tell between different shades of white?

I set the brightness like that according to THX optimizer. I basically made the brightness too high and reduced it until I could only see 7 boxes (like the thing says to). If I put it much lower the picture looks too dark to me, but maybe it's just that my eyes aren't trained to watching properly calibrated TV.

So is Warm1 or Warm2 closer to the 6500K standard?

Pallaris - the V3000 does seem very similar to the W2000, yes.

Contrast on Max? Wouldn't that make it look like the vivid settings and you can't tell between different shades of white?
It doesn't from what I've seen, no - but try it and tell me how you get on :)

It sounds like your brightness is set correctly then, but just bring up a pitch black screen and reduce the setting until it's as black as it can get, and no more - it's possible your DVD player outputs a dimmer signal, so a higher setting on the TV would be correct in this case. I find that around 45-50 is right on most setups though, but your mileage may vary...

I set sharpness to 5, less than that and the text on Sky became a bit difficult to read. It looks better; when you look out for sharpness it's easy to recognize when it's too high.

I've used the THX Optimizer on my 360 and the DVD player. The 360's connected through HDMI so it wouldn't have a dimmer signal would it?

I tried messing with brightness when watching TV, and it seemed that less than 55 looked too dark. I'll try pausing a DVD on a black screen and comparing with the black bars.

Adjusting contrast while watching TV doesn't seem to make much difference to me. Moving it up to max just seems to make blurriness more apparent. Contrast was hard to set, I just set it with the THX Optimizer so that I could make out all 8 boxes and the brightest box was actually bright. It seems ok as it is though.

But if I was meant to use Warm2 instead of Warm1 I may have to go through all these settings again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom