Sony KDL40V3000 LCD or Panasonic TH42PZ70 Plasma

Christ

Hi,

Not posted for a while but Im after some advice on which TV to buy:

1) Sony KDL40V3000 Lcd
2) Panasonic TH42PZ70 Plasma

TV will be used mainly for freeview, but with a PS3 attached. Ive actually got the Sony reserved at the moment from JL @ £899 with free PS3 which I realise is a bargain – however I reserved this purely based on the price a I had my heart set on the Panasonic.

So they are both around the same price, but one has a free PS3.

Has anyone any recommendations i.e. seen both sets?? I did have a look in Comet last weekend but it was difficult to compare as they were at opposite ends of the store. The Panasonic was definitely better with the SD source close up, but from the correct viewing distance the Sony looked a little better.

The Panasonic seems to get great reviews by pretty much everyone who has one (except the 24fps motion judder) wheras the Sony seems to get a lot of comments on blurring which is a bit worrying.

All advice greatly received!

Chris

flygti

The PZ will have better SD pic and similar HD although the LCD may seem brighter and sharper.

Look at my sig. to see which one I chose! However............... a free PS3 work £299 does change things somewhat. Tough choice. Good Luck!

Christ

The PZ will have better SD pic and similar HD although the LCD may seem brighter and sharper.

Look at my sig. to see which one I chose! However............... a free PS3 work £299 does change things somewhat. Tough choice. Good Luck!

Thanks... did you look at the Sony??

chrispeters

Free PS3...woohoo...wot a nice sellin concept !!

Plasma over LCD anyday IMO !!! esp over 37"....under 37" a decent lcd looks decent...but after 37 the piccy rapidly deteriates...i have a sony bravia 40" LCD...but since the panny 42" PX70 plasma arrived...the LCD went in the bedroom and has not been switched on since :smashin: !
good luck with your choice...enjoy your new tv woohoooo

flygti

Thanks... did you look at the Sony??

Spent ages looking at the W3000. It was sooo close but the SD quality of the plasma as well as the better blacks and shadow detail in SD & HD won me over in the end.
Also of all the sets I spent ages looking (Sony W2000 then Samsung M87 then F86 then W3000 and the PZ) - the PZ owners thread seemed to be the happiest by far.

Scotty Boy

Hi,

The PZ70 is far better in my opinion, if someone comes into our department looking at the V3000, after a simple comparison with the PZ on both Blu-ray and SD feeds. Our customer will always walk away with the PZ and i've configured them both to the best of my ability.

Go for the PZ, you won't be dissapointed. The colours just look so un-natural on the V3000, even through the PS3 we've got it hooked up to. Connect that to the PZ and the difference is quite obvious in my opinion.

:)

Christ

Cheers for all the info guys... I hadnt seen the review of the Sony...

Still havent fully made up my mind, the PZ70 is obviously the better of the 2 - but effectively £300 more..

Chris

flygti

Still havent fully made up my mind, the PZ70 is obviously the better of the 2 - but effectively £300 more..

Chris

Exactly! No doubt in my mind that the PZ is the better set.... But £300 more may not be worth it for you. Basically - if you have looked at the Sony and tried some SD and HD material and are happy - then enjoy the free PS3... :thumbsup:

sniffer316

Chris

The pz70 will knock spots of the sony and dont forget about all the clouding issues and i can see why you would be tempted because of the playstation,nice way to try and shift some sony lcd's.

pjskel

Simple solution - buy the Sony, flog it on ebay or here, and keep the PS3.
Buy a PZ70 - job done and best of both deals.

Christ

Simple solution - buy the Sony, flog it on ebay or here, and keep the PS3.
Buy a PZ70 - job done and best of both deals.

Thats actually not a bad idea :rotfl:

Pretty much decided to go the Panasonic route anyway...

Cheers

redkite2

Standard Member
Faced with the same choice. I went for the W3000 because of the free PS3 and the extreme energy use of the Panasonic = 450w

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom