Sony kdl40s550

gusjux

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Currently on my 2nd faulty LG 42LH3000 and I don't really want to try a third so I'm going to get a refund. Only problem is my budget is very limited (£600 max) and the only tv I can find that may offer the same value for money is the Sony KDL40S550.

Cannot find any info about it besides a vague spec on a few retailers websites. Can anyone shed some more light on this set and if you own one give an opinion?

Hi there

Currently on my 2nd faulty LG 42LH3000 and I don't really want to try a third so I'm going to get a refund. Only problem is my budget is very limited (£600 max) and the only tv I can find that may offer the same value for money is the Sony KDL40S550.

Cannot find any info about it besides a vague spec on a few retailers websites. Can anyone shed some more light on this set and if you own one give an opinion?

its not very good. im not recommend u to buy it. either save up and go for the V5500, or try to find a samsung B530. Also u should consider some of toshibaz models they are cheap.

its not very good. im not recommend u to buy it. either save up and go for the V5500, or try to find a samsung B530. Also u should consider some of toshibaz models they are cheap.

+1 for the Sam B530, this can be had for less than £500 also, pretty good value. have a butches here:

Mod Comment: price comparison site link removed

Cheers,
Jiff

Last edited by a moderator:
both B530 and S5500 are very good and similar,with the sony being better in quality but anyway if its not going for the 40V5500 which is better than both,get whichever you want

Hi,
I would say the Sony S5500 series is comparable to the Samsung and probably slightly better than the LG in terms of performance and features. It doesn't have Bravia 3 but the processing is reasonable - you have a number of settings for each feature and there is an eco mode.

Hope this is of some help,
Simon

I think with diff in price the Samsung is plain better value at this end of the market ...the Sony Bravia V5500 & W5500 are a diff story but you will not get these for your budget ....Sony TV's are damn expensive.
Cheers,
Jiff

Thanks for all of your advice!

I will check out the Samsung & Sony when I take the LG back this week however I am swaying towards another LG now. If I had the speakers & build quality from my first one and the panel from my second it would be the perfect tv for me! :D

Thanks for all of your advice!

I will check out the Samsung & Sony when I take the LG back this week however I am swaying towards another LG now. If I had the speakers & build quality from my first one and the panel from my second it would be the perfect tv for me! :D

which one?

noooooo don't do it! ;)
Cheers,
Jiff

haha! In a bit of a dilema as I only paid 500 beans for the LG if it is fully operational I feel it is a bargain.

I think that if I was to get a differnt tv the only sets I would be comfortable with would be the Sonys you mentioned but whether they warrant the additional £200+ spend I am unsure.

I think with diff in price the Samsung is plain better value at this end of the market ...the Sony Bravia V5500 & W5500 are a diff story but you will not get these for your budget ....Sony TV's are damn expensive.
Cheers,
Jiff

Dipping into my home theatre budget & picking up a 40W5500 for £720 today! :)

Last edited:
Would seem like a pretty good price IMO:

Mod Comment: price comparison site link removed

I think you will be really happy with the picture after coming from the LG :)
Cheers,
Jiff

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah pretty happy with the price!

Thankfully I can see how much of an improvement it is on the LG already, I was really concerned that the difference wouldn't be that noticable.

I don't use freeview but tuned it in anyway (just to try PIP) and the pq is exceptional and wipes the floor with the LG. Haven't had time to play with the pic settings but happy with the presets (will tweak tomorrow - too much footy on to worry now!) and its as if I've unearthed Sky Sports Super Duper Ultra Max HD now I'm wathing it on the Sony :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom