Sony KDL40EX403 DNLA server

Care

Standard Member
Bought a new TV a month or so ago... a Sony Bravia 40EX403, with the "new fangled" interface - DNLA !
I regard myself as a bit of a "techie" so, setting this up to stream movies from my PC should be simple, right ????? WRONG, the servers that are available are either not compatible with the TV, will not play the file formats I already have... or require a degree in programming to get to work !
Indeed, a few server software require OTHER software in order to transcode... again needing an assumed knowledge on the topic.

Then I happened across Mezzmo... installed WHERE I WANTED (not where the programmed thought it should go !) and setup was SO easy, I thought "this cant possibly be this easy ?"
So far all I have done it tell it where my movies are stored on my PC... the whole folder, it sorts out thumbnails etc automatically.
Spent 30 mins or so testing several files that I know other servers were "picky" with, and they play without issue whatsoever !!! (apart from a couple of 1080p files I have... but I suspect my PC isn't powerful enough to transcode these "on the fly" !)
Also, the infinite amount of settings to fiddle with on other server software simply don't exist with Mezzmo.... and I strongly suspect are not needed - programmers seem to think we "need" hundreds of tick-boxes, but this only leads to confusion and ultimately, disappointment.

Only issue I have with the server is that of controls (from the TV) - but it is still early days, so maybe I'm missing something !
All in all an excellent, easy to work software - well done Conceiver !

Regards
Paul

PS tried several other "popular" ones including, "Wild media server" - "twonkymedia" and attempted a couple of "DOS" types, but this is by far the easiest to get running !
I bagged a trial version from www.mezzmo.com

Last edited:

bigpapanoodle

Standard Member
Only just discovered Mezzmo for my Bravia KDL40EX503 recently and it is beginning to look like the best of the media sharing bunch. I haven't managed to access any files from the TV as yet but the Mezzmo support guy has been great in dealing with my plight. He replies to my emails within a day and although it might be only a trial period at the moment I just might sign up.

Care

Standard Member
Only just discovered Mezzmo for my Bravia KDL40EX503 recently and it is beginning to look like the best of the media sharing bunch. I haven't managed to access any files from the TV as yet but the Mezzmo support guy has been great in dealing with my plight. He replies to my emails within a day and although it might be only a trial period at the moment I just might sign up.

It was more or less "plug and play" for me... have you opened the relevant port on your router and/or firewall ?

bigpapanoodle

Standard Member
This is turning into some kind of nightmare for me. I bought this TV for its DLNA properties. I have tried EVERYTHING to get this to work. I have opened all the necessary ports...the computer is able to "ping" the TV's IP address...the TV appears as a connected device in the router's interface...only thing left is to tear my hair out in handfuls...and if I see that bl***dy message "servers cannot be recognised" just one more time..GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not responsible for the following actions)

Last edited:

Care

Standard Member
bigpapanoodle - could you post an equipment list ?

Assume you are using Windows ? If so, have you tried forcing a file to the TV from "Windows Media player"
When I first got the TV home, this is what I tried... with a native windows file - one of the HD demo ones from windows IIRC.
First thing to do is establish that a connection is there through your kit.

NONE of my gear uses DCHP, even the TV has its own fixed IP address - maybe that's something to think about ? I find network issues FAR easier to fix with static IP addresses !

I suspect it IS a network issue, as Mezzmo requires little by way of setup.
The media player test should prove that the link exists (if it does !)

Dont give up - its worth the struggle...

bigpapanoodle

Standard Member
PC -Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit (+ 2 other PCs running XP)
TV -Sony Bravia KDL-40EX503
Netgear DG834G wireless router
PC is connected wirelessly. TV is wired.
As I have 3 computers I too have fixed IP addresses to avoid conflicts on the network. The TV has its own IP address also.
I tried forcing a file to the TV in WMP but "no device found"

Last edited:

Care

Standard Member
My TV is a '403, but I doubt there's much difference...

It HAS to be a connectivity issue... I have sent stuff to the TV with my wireless netbook, using both Media Player AND Mezzmo.

Are you SURE you have the correct port open on router ? (try placing your PC in the DMZ)
Also, check firewalls... I never use the Windows one, or any other for that matter :blush:

bigpapanoodle

Standard Member
I agree. It's a connectivity issue but appears to be just one way. I have been getting loads of support from a guy at Mezzmo regarding this problem and he has advised me on which ports should be open. I downloaded a port checker application and that confirms that the necessary ports are open. I even disabled the Windows firewall and allowed ALL traffic through the router (disconnecting from the internet of course!). The problem still remains..the PC can see the TV but not vice-versa

Care

Standard Member
Is it possible to hardwire the PC to the router ?

Another thought.... your TV and ROUTER and PC are all on the SAME IP range ?

Ie mine are:

TV 192.168.2.251
PC 192.168.2.253
Router 192.168.2.1

bigpapanoodle

Standard Member
Hardwiring the PC to the router was going to be my next port of call. Although the only network cable that I have long enough is already employed in connecting the TV to the router. Anyhow, it should improve speeds if everything is wired.
As mentioned previously I have fixed IP addresses as follows...

TV 192.168.0.5
PC 192.168.0.3
Router 192.168.0.1

There are two other PCs on the network and they ALL can see each other and also share one printer without any problems.

Am I still missing something???!!!

Care

Standard Member
Not that I can see, but obviously SOMETHING is stopping it ! IPs are fine, so it has to be a port thing ?
Mine is set to :
63355 TCP+UDP forwarded to the PC's IP address.

As said before, I dont use a firewall on my PC, but its worth double checking windows firewall - as it has a habit of "re-enabling" itself... I think Microshaft assume we are all stupid ! :p

Within Mezzmo's "Media server settings" I put "63355" and "START SERVER" and THATS IT !

Run through your TV's network settings.... make SURE it HAS the correct address and gateway address (your router) not sure the DNS will make much difference, but once this is setup correctly you will be able to see YOUTUBE etc from the TV.... that would prove that end is "right"

Good luck mate, I hate this niggly problems !

bigpapanoodle

Standard Member
Beginning to think that because I have a wired as well as wireless connection going on here, perhaps that is why the TV cannot "browse" the PC´s content. It has been suggested that I move the PC closer to the router.
On holiday in Spain at the mo so will try your settings whem I get home. Cheers

paracha3

Standard Member
I thought this would be the most intuitive task after buying a Sony Bravia 32EX700 internet video enabled TV. When i go click "Home" button, i see under "Video" there is a section for "Podcast" where few podcasts are already linked. But there are some podcasts missing that i would like to watch and i have .xml or .rss type link available and they are mp4 type so TV should be able to play with no problem.

The problem is "Send Link to TV" site is not working for me. It says this service is not available for your country as i am currently stationed in saudi arabia. Great!

Is there ANY way to add/remove podcast links in the TV? I am hoping something through the USB memory stick, like placing an xml or text file on USB memory stick with links inside that TV would load etc etc??

Anyone? Thanks!

pxr5

Used to stream to my PS3 with PS3 Media Server. If you get the latest beta of PS3MS it'll stream just fine to Bravia TVs. Free too.

bigpapanoodle

Standard Member
All is well! I have hardwired the PC to the router and lo and behold it all works now. I guess for some reason it didn't like the wireless setup I had originally, although the only reason I can think of is that perhaps the PC was just a bit out of range but as I mentioned before, everything was configured properly in the router and firewall settings and the PC and TV could "see" each other with no problems. Off now to look at our recent holiday snaps but not before a big nod to Paul for his help and advice.

devbias

FINALLY !!!

Something that views my avi files :thumbsup:

Now to find a way to stream BBCi ITV player. :suicide:

Anyone know if its possible, as im sick of waiting for Sony to add BBci player to Bravia Internet TV.

azz

I tried mezzmo as well and out of wmp wm11 twonky and the free ps3 beta it as was the simplist to install and played the vast majority of files no problem and was was simpler to adjust

this i have tried with samsung A756 and sony nx503 windows xp

try the trial at www.mezzmo.com

azz:thumbsup:

Last edited:

alaphegly

Standard Member
All is well! I have hardwired the PC to the router and lo and behold it all works now. I guess for some reason it didn't like the wireless setup I had originally, although the only reason I can think of is that perhaps the PC was just a bit out of range but as I mentioned before, everything was configured properly in the router and firewall settings and the PC and TV could "see" each other with no problems.

Same here. I have the Bravia EX403 TV wired to the router and the laptop wireless. Works fine wired, but not wireless. I've opened the port 63355 in the Outbound in the router, both TCP and UDP, but still no joy. My PC if 2m distance from the router, so the distance is not an issue. I have Norton Firewall and Mezzmo is fullly allowed through. Are the Norton firewall settings different for a wired vs. wireless connection? My wifes' Windows 7 laptop can see the Mezzmo server without any problems, so I assume it's not a firewall issue. Both my Vista laptop and my wifes' are set to be in the same workgroup, called other than the Windows default WORKGROUP. Does the BRAVIA need to be in the same workgroup? I don't think this seeting is possible on the TV ... PLEASE HELP !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom