Sony KDL37EX503U for gaming?

tjings

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

I really love the look of this TV, but after having read some reviews that mention an input lag of 60ms I'm having second thoughts, as I'm pretty keen on gaming. The reviews say that this is when "Game mode" is turned on, but I'm curious as to whether this mode actually turns off everything (such as Motionflow, etc.), or does it still leave some features on that might increase lag? Does anyone know?

Thanks for any info!

Tom

It forcibly disables MotionFlow and various other Video Enhancing features (that you shouldn't be using anyway, though).

I've played a lot of games, albeit singleplayer only so far, and don't notice any lag or issue with playing.

However if you do decide on the TV, try and push for the 40inch model. The 37 inch uses an inferior panel and the input lag may be different on that set than the other sizes.

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask what sort of games you've played on it? I like playing FPS games every now and then, which obviously require quite quick reactions.

I did see it mentioned that the 37" panel isn't as good as the 40", but I'm not sure if the 40" would be a bit too big for my living room. I'll measure it up when I get home.

I had a 40w4500 which failed and Sony have offered me a 40ex503 as a replacement but dont know if its a good swop?

I play ps3 and 360 but heard the input lag was 60ms on the 503.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts of wether the 503 is a good swop for the 40w4500 i had.

Thanks

Go to your Sony Centre with some game disks and try out the TV in game mode, it is no problem and the best way to try. Different people have different perceptions of lag, the only way you will really be happy is to try before you buy!

Thanks!

Yeah, I did try that on Saturday but the 2 shops I went to where not interest in helping out etc.

I guess I can sort of live with the lag as long as its not too bad, im just more interested in the quality of the 503. I have had so much bad experience with Sony TV`s I really dont want to go down the same route again.

Just trying to get an idea of the 503 from other people really.

I paid 1099 for my tv 14 months ago and just a bit gutted the best sony seem to be offering is a tv worth 649.

Hummmmmm dont know what to do.

Take the 503 and be happy that they offered me a new one or push for a refund seeing as the TV had a manafac defect.

Thanks

Go to your Sony Centre with some game disks and try out the TV in game mode, it is no problem and the best way to try. Different people have different perceptions of lag, the only way you will really be happy is to try before you buy!

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask what sort of games you've played on it? I like playing FPS games every now and then, which obviously require quite quick reactions.

I did see it mentioned that the 37" panel isn't as good as the 40", but I'm not sure if the 40" would be a bit too big for my living room. I'll measure it up when I get home.

Played FFXIII, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 3 and God of War III on it.

Have not played any FPS yet as I am waiting to have new Broadband installed this Thursday, then I can check out how it performs in multiplayer.

I think if you are serious about playing FPS online then you won't be happy with 60ms input lag. I only play offline on consoles so I'm a happy camper :)

From what I have read the EX503 is the logical successor to the W5500, was the W5500 the successor to the W4500? If so I guess their logic as to replacement is correct. The rrp for the 40EX503 is in excess of 649, nearer 899 isn't it though granted you can get it for cheaper than that.

A Sony Centre will let you try your PS3 games out no problem, have you tried one, I can understand you not having much luck in a major electrical store. I know Sony Centres are subject to mystery shoppers re demos so am sure they would be helpful.

Played FFXIII, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 3 and God of War III on it.

Have not played any FPS yet as I am waiting to have new Broadband installed this Thursday, then I can check out how it performs in multiplayer.

I think if you are serious about playing FPS online then you won't be happy with 60ms input lag. I only play offline on consoles so I'm a happy camper :)

OK, thanks. :) I'm only a casual gamer really, but it would be nice to not be at a disadvantage.

Thanks to cdb2 as well, for suggesting a visit to the local Sony centre. I'll give that a go at the weekend.

I get lost with all the model number to be honest, so wasnt sure where the ex503 sat with the w4500.

I did go into the Sony shop near me and made the mistake of being honest and explaing what was going on re the exchange and that I wasnt looking to buy, soon as I said that, just got the cold shoulder. Nothing new for Sony really.

The other shop I went to said I could if they had a PS3/360 set up on it, but as they didnt, basicaly, they couldnt be bothered.

So all I had to go on was stories on here.

Just had so many problems with sony tvs, just dont want to end up with another lemon. Concerns are the lag and the vertical banding a lot of people seem to have with this tv. I think backlight bleed is a given with Sony tv`s.

Just wasnt sure if to bite the bullet or push for a refund and get off the Sony train.

Head is soooooooooooo wrecked!

I should be gratefull really but just have a bitter sony taste in my mouth.

From what I have read the EX503 is the logical successor to the W5500, was the W5500 the successor to the W4500? If so I guess their logic as to replacement is correct. The rrp for the 40EX503 is in excess of 649, nearer 899 isn't it though granted you can get it for cheaper than that.

A Sony Centre will let you try your PS3 games out no problem, have you tried one, I can understand you not having much luck in a major electrical store. I know Sony Centres are subject to mystery shoppers re demos so am sure they would be helpful.

If you aren't particularly concerned about the input lag, I would take the EX503 as a replacement in a heartbeat. It has almost perfect backlight uniformity, amazing picture quality that is very close to premium models costing £1000 more, and I have yet to find a single flaw with it.

The W series is a step down from the new range, that's for sure. The EX range is basically the HX range with 100HZ instead of 200HZ (they have the same panel). And the HX range is the "successor" to the Z series, which makes the EX pretty much the best TV Sony has to offer if you aren't dead set on 200HZ or fancy monolithic design.

Obviously the 3D and Local-LED models are their own thing.

I'd definitely agree with the above from moogoat and be grateful I hadn't been offered a W5500 as lots of places are still selling them.:)

I had a 40w4500 which failed and Sony have offered me a 40ex503 as a replacement but dont know if its a good swop?

I play ps3 and 360 but heard the input lag was 60ms on the 503.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts of wether the 503 is a good swop for the 40w4500 i had.

Thanks

How much they offering for the refund, presumably minus usage?

If the lag bothered you, according to reviews the HX is meant to have less lag, says 50ms reducing to around 40ms in game mode on the review on here. I don't have any issue with that level of lag playing Modern Warefare 2 on my HX, can hit a moving target no issue! 40HX703 rrp is 1199, though I and others have paid around 999.

I'd be wary re lag on paper judgements, too many people judge by what it says on paper without trying in the real world. Try the Ex in the shop, is an excellent TV, and if the lag does turn out to be an issue for you perhaps try the HX, but as moogoat alludes, you may well find no issue at all with the EX re lag.

Hi :)

I really love the look of this TV, but after having read some reviews that mention an input lag of 60ms I'm having second thoughts, as I'm pretty keen on gaming. The reviews say that this is when "Game mode" is turned on, but I'm curious as to whether this mode actually turns off everything (such as Motionflow, etc.), or does it still leave some features on that might increase lag? Does anyone know?

Thanks for any info!

Tom
If you're not bothered about Motionflow and play a lot of games, where you don't need Motionflow anyway, then go for the EX403. Lag is "only" 40ms on that model. Still not great, but better than 60ms.

Of course, the 37" versions often have different panels, so the lag figure may well be different.

If you're not bothered about Motionflow and play a lot of games, where you don't need Motionflow anyway, then go for the EX403. Lag is "only" 40ms on that model. Still not great, but better than 60ms.

Of course, the 37" versions often have different panels, so the lag figure may well be different.

Hmm, yeah, I have had a look at this one as well, but was concerned about it being only 50Hz. Some people said this was better for games, others said it was worse. There seems to be so many conflicting opinions around these areas. :confused:

I like 100HZ for sports and games. It's a matter of taste. However when using Game mode it's automatically disabled (I assume, because the setting isn't available in the options). When playing games in singleplayer you don't need to use Game mode though, so you can have Motionflow if you want on Cinema mode or whatever you normally use.

I think I'll just have to head over to my local Sony centre and hope that they have these TVs and let me try out a PS3 game. I'll post any findings back here.

Thanks for all the advice. :)

I like 100HZ for sports and games. It's a matter of taste. However when using Game mode it's automatically disabled (I assume, because the setting isn't available in the options). When playing games in singleplayer you don't need to use Game mode though, so you can have Motionflow if you want on Cinema mode or whatever you normally use.
Isn't the lag even worse than 60ms if you don't use game mode?

Yes. But for offline play lag is not really important. I can't notice it either way.

Isn't the lag even worse than 60ms if you don't use game mode?

I didn't think there was meant to be much lag at all if game mode was on. I thought these massive readings were for "normal modes".

I didn't think there was meant to be much lag at all if game mode was on. I thought these massive readings were for "normal modes".

You would think so, but the lag on the EX503 in game mode is 60ms according to HDTVtest.

Well I've just got this TV (40") and am very happy with it so far. I haven't had much chance to play around with it much, but am very pleased with the picture quality. My only complaint so far is the sound quality - very little bass there, but this can be remedied with a good sound system. :)

As for gaming, I can't discern any noticeable lag when playing games on my PS3 (played COD4, MW2, and Red Dead Redemption so far). It feels very rsponsive to me. I even tried COD4 with 'Sports Mode', which has Motionflow on high, and it still seemed fine to me. Some people must have super human eyes or something. Maybe it becomes more noticeable if you're using it as a PC monitor and playing games with a mouse, I dunno.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom