• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SONY KDL32W5500 ... white mist?

xiuxiuejar

Established Member
I am the owner of the new Bravia KDL32W5500 and in nearly every department, it is a very good TV. My wife and I tried six different LCDs and each was sent back before the seven day trial period because they didn't meet our expectations. This set has impressed us.

However, there is one problem???? I have read about backlight bleed and do not consider my panel suffers from this - the blacks are ... well very nearly black and I have no cloudiness. Yet sometimes, in standard definition, there is an issue . The foreground image is perfectly in focus but all -and I mean ALL- around is misty. Like a white almost transparent film. Is this to o with my contrast settings? It is strange, cos I change the channel and it is not there anymore. It also happens on a few SD DVDs.

I do not think it is bleeding because it is the whole picture, uniform.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you

xiuxiuejar

Established Member
unfortunately NR does not do the trick- thanks for the reply though. Pretty sure it's my contrast/brightness settings.

kingkenny

Established Member
I am the owner of the new Bravia KDL32W5500 and in nearly every department, it is a very good TV. My wife and I tried six different LCDs and each was sent back before the seven day trial period because they didn't meet our expectations. This set has impressed us.

However, there is one problem???? I have read about backlight bleed and do not consider my panel suffers from this - the blacks are ... well very nearly black and I have no cloudiness. Yet sometimes, in standard definition, there is an issue . The foreground image is perfectly in focus but all -and I mean ALL- around is misty. Like a white almost transparent film. Is this to o with my contrast settings? It is strange, cos I change the channel and it is not there anymore. It also happens on a few SD DVDs.

I do not think it is bleeding because it is the whole picture, uniform.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you

Had the same problem with my bravia got so fed up with it i sent it back.
I now have the panasonictx32l2d85.no probs with it great sound and great picture.

southr

Standard Member
I am the owner of the new Bravia KDL32W5500 and in nearly every department, it is a very good TV. My wife and I tried six different LCDs and each was sent back before the seven day trial period because they didn't meet our expectations.....

Hi There, How did you manage to get multiple trials of TV's. Which company allowed this?

xiuxiuejar

Established Member
I live in Spain and some retailers allow a 7 day satisfaction guarantee. Media Markt, a German version of PC World - but good - allows 30 days believe it or not. I bought an espresso machine from there, used it for a week, decided I didn't like it, changed it for a different model, didn't like that one either and got a refund. No questins asked.

I tried 3 TVs in Pixmania (7 days) and 4 from Media Markt.

oh, the white mist was defeated by changing contrast/brightness. Very happy :D:D:D:D:D now!!! Wish I could send the wife back though - but they wouldn't exchange her!!!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom