Sony KDL32V2000 - component query

gadger999

Standard Member
Hiya all,
Have just purchased the above tv for the father in law and while connecting it up convinced him to purchase a component lead to hook up to his DVD/VCR combo so he could get prog. scan and hopefully a better pq than through RGB scart.
Will he still be able to record freeview TV onto his VCR while using component ???
Thanks.......

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need to maintain the "other" connection (SCART). Component connections are one-way; in this case, from the player to the TV. You need to "feed" the player with a signal FROM the TV for it to record.

Also - it's highly unlikely that the combination player will produce a Component signal from tape; only from DVD. So you'll need to retain the SCART to carry compostite video from tape to the TV.

And finally - you do know, don't you, that Component Video connections are video only; the audio needs to be carried separately.

gadger999

Standard Member
Thanks for the info.
I didnt know that component was video only, i thought the 3 leads on a component cable were for video and audio.
if he connects his DVD/VCR combo with component and scart will he get the DVD video signal from component but no audio or will the audio come via the scart
cheers.........

Does the DVD recorder have its own digital tuner built in? I'm guessing not from the replies so far.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
gadger999 said:
if he connects his DVD/VCR combo with component and scart will he get the DVD video signal from component but no audio or will the audio come via the scart......
Whilst it's almost certain that the Player will continue to supply audio via the SCART cable, I doubt the TV will be clever enough to "look" in two places for audio and video. I'm by no means certain about this specific TV and you may want to study the manual in case there is something "clever" in there you can set. But, if I'm right, if you set the TV to the component input, I guess it's going to want to see the audio on an associated audio input. So I think you're going to need a left/right stereo pair as well as the component cables.