Sony KDL32S2010U lcd tv & Panasonic DMREH50 hdd/dvdr connection problem

Stuart P

Well-known Member
ok i've just connected up my new KDL32S2010U to my panasonic dvd recorder (sony av2 <-----> panasonic av1)

the panasonic has 1 rgb input (av2) & so my ntl digital box is connected to that to enable best quality recording

whenever i switch on the panasonic, initially, the picture on the sony shows loads of wavy-interference-type lines. this is visable until the panasonic has fully switched on (about 3-4 secs) when the picture is then perfect. the same happens when i switch the panasonic off. in other words it is not a 'clean' switch over & there is something wrong in the way i have connected it all.

when i switch on the dvd player (connected to the sony av1) it is a perfectly clean switch over

whereas, if the dvd recorder is switched off & i switch it on by pressing the 'function' button (goes straight into the recorders settings), the problem does not happen. it seems that the problem happens when 2 signals interfer with each other

any clues?
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Try connecting it as follows.
Cable box output to DVDR AV2 (set to input RGB)
DVDR AV1 (set to output RGB) to TV AV1
DVD player to TV AV2.
 

Stuart P

Well-known Member
JayCee said:
Try connecting it as follows.
Cable box output to DVDR AV2 (set to input RGB)
DVDR AV1 (set to output RGB) to TV AV1
DVD player to TV AV2.
thanks i've tried that but to no effect. i also tried taking the rgb auto-scart switcher out of the loop but still no joy.

it seems to be something in the sony that is causing the problem. i had an old jvc tv & this did not happen with that. all that happened on that was the screen went solid blue until the power up / power down process had completely finished - much 'cleaner' than with the sony.

i've looked at the sony settings & all i can see that might be causing interference is a 'av2 output' setting that can be altered to 'tv' 'av1' 'av5' & finally 'auto'. i've tried it with all those & still no joy

anyone with a sony tv & panasonic setup :lease: help
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Is there a blue-mute function within a menu needing turned on perhaps?

Mind you it's not the end of the world if you're only getting this "noise" on the pic for 4 secs which does clear.:rolleyes:
 

Stuart P

Well-known Member
JayCee said:
Is there a blue-mute function within a menu needing turned on perhaps?

Mind you it's not the end of the world if you're only getting this "noise" on the pic for 4 secs which does clear.:rolleyes:
thanks jaycee but from looking at the sony settings i cannot see this function (unless someone knows where it is?)

sure it's not the end of the world - but something somewhere is not right & it is that fact that is annoying me. i'm certain there is a solution but at the moment i do not know what that solution is!
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If you pull out the aerial to the set and the screen goes blue...that means you have it and it's turned on...some sets have it on by default and some have it as an option within a menu.
 

Stuart P

Well-known Member
JayCee said:
If you pull out the aerial to the set and the screen goes blue...that means you have it and it's turned on...some sets have it on by default and some have it as an option within a menu.
ok if i am watching bbc1 via analogue (fed by the ntl digital box) & pull the aeriel out, the screen just goes black. the same happens if i switch to av1 whilst the dvd player is off, black screen with av1 in the corner
 

Gavtech

Administrator
I think you are mistaken to see this as being a 'problem'.

It is more than likely that everything is working as it should.

It will arise because of the way your current TV happens to respond to the varying voltage levels on Pin 8 of the incoming scart as the Scart route switching gets itself sorted out.
Depending on implementation there can be many voltage levels on this pin.

You could prove that, if you wished by temporarily recesssing pin 8 of the scart entering the TV.

The only important thing is that is settles eventually to the right state ... which it does.
 

Stuart P

Well-known Member
Gavtech said:
I think you are mistaken to see this as being a 'problem'.

It is more than likely that everything is working as it should.

It will arise because of the way your current TV happens to respond to the varying voltage levels on Pin 8 of the incoming scart as the Scart route switching gets itself sorted out.
Depending on implementation there can be many voltage levels on this pin.

You could prove that, if you wished by temporarily recesssing pin 8 of the scart entering the TV.

The only important thing is that is settles eventually to the right state ... which it does.
thanks gavtech, that would make sense. but why would it only happen when the dvd recorder is switched on? it is fine when the standalone dvd player is switched on & also fine when i switch the xbox 360 on.

i am using 3 ixos scarts, all the same make & model.
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Stuart P said:
why would it only happen when the dvd recorder is switched on? it is fine when the standalone dvd player is switched on & also fine when i switch the xbox 360 on.

My Toshiba RD-XS30B DVDR does something similar for a good few secs when first switched on as it initialises...and I know the Panasonic range of DVDRs go through a self-check routine when switched on so it may just be a common feature on all DVDRs due to their design.
I would just accept it does that and enjoy it.
 

Gavtech

Administrator
Stuart P said:
thanks gavtech, that would make sense. but why would it only happen when the dvd recorder is switched on?

I think it will be because of simple conflict. Every device in the scart line sequence puts a voltage on this pin at switch on or play, basically to instruct the TV to 'Listen to me! ' and to switch over to that input. These have to be over-rideable of course or you would never be able to change 'channel' as long as something was switched on.

Your TV will have it's own prioritisation procedures too, as it is conceivable that all its scart inputs could be calling to be switched to at the same time.

It is further complicated by your ntl box feeding through [ if I read correctly ] the DVDR and it will be outputting its own voltage on Pin 8 too.
This pin can have a tri-state with a range of voltages with wide threshholds between 0 to 12 Volts.
All these systems interacting have to try to get right what it is you want to do... That it gets it right in the end is probably worth a round of applause :D

The Panasonic by definition of its function has to be more sophisticated because it is not simply a source device. It will have inputs feeing into it too... so it has to try to make sensible 'decisions ' about signal routing too and that may explain why you only get this effect with this unit.

I suspect you might get different results if you swapped inputs around.. but really, I don't think you need to.

As Jaycee says - Relax and enjoy. Good luck.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom