Sony kdl**w905A owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverblack

Prominent Member
Reaction score
With the imminent arrival of this tv coming out soon i thought it would make sense to have an official owners thread.

I'm hopefully looking to get one eventually when John Lewis get them in, but in the mean time this would be the best place for owners, potential owners and general opinions and thoughts regarding this tv.

Last edited:
There won't be any owners for at least a month. Saw the TV in question in a Sony store, which was a Euro model as there was no UK set available yet. Will be interesting to see how it fares against Sammy E8000.

Now it seems that Samsung is flexing its muscle and their TVs are more expensive than Sonys where until recently it was perceived a poor man's Sony TV, in terms of value and quality. How times have changed. I foresee Samsung totally dominating the TV market, and the decline of Japanese sets. Sony is the remaining challenger in LCD market against Samsung.

There won't be any owners for at least a month. Saw the TV in question in a Sony store, which was a Euro model as there was no UK set available yet. Will be interesting to see how it fares against Sammy E8000.

Now it seems that Samsung is flexing its muscle and their TVs are more expensive than Sonys where until recently it was perceived a poor man's Sony TV, in terms of value and quality. How times have changed. I foresee Samsung totally dominating the TV market, and the decline of Japanese sets. Sony is the remaining challenger in LCD market against Samsung.

Your very right, after i had my samsung from the early years i didn't want to go near another one i hated it and thought that the processing was poor.

I only had panasonic philips and loewe after that. But over the years they seemed to have stepped up in the design department and also in picture quality.

But these new sonys look amazing and I'm after the w9.

There's an amazing review of the w9 55" on areadvd, really is worth a read.:smashin:

There's an amazing review of the w9 55" on areadvd, really is worth a read.:smashin:

You should pop a link up of that review Ninja, as well as the trusted one:smashin:

Glowing review from areadvd :thumbsup: - no mention of input lag though.

Cheers for the heads up on the review Ninja,

Here's the link btw

Google Translate

Cannot wait for this now!

The few cons it gave were minor IMO and tbh I'm not really bothered about twin tuners and voice/gesture control.

Interestingly the viewing angle the trusted review mentioned wasn't given as con, so maybe it isn't a big issue,

But I guess we should find out soon ツ

The few cons it gave were minor IMO and tbh I'm not really bothered about twin tuners and voice/gesture control.

no voice/gesture control is a pro IMO :D

I was in to the Sony Centre today to have a look at the W9, It is honestly a fantastic looking bit of kit, it was set up in a room with a W8 and hands down the picture quality looked better on the W9, the W8 is no slouch by any stretch of the imagination but the W9 just popped at you, unfortunately the room was still quite bright but not as bright as the shop, shop was very busy so I didn't get the controls but my she looked good, I had a good look at her from quite acute angles and I thought that with the source they were running it held up rather well, I must of easy looked at it over 60 degrees.

I put a 10% deposit down on one, the lad in the shop said they will have them end of may start of June and it will come with a 5 year guarantee from them.

Took a couple of pics, sorry they are with my phone bloody forgot to take my camera with me.

null_zpseaf7ee08.jpg

Blue shadows? That's either poor viewing angle or the set needs a calibration :smashin:

I had a demo of one of these a couple of weeks ago and posted my thoughts in the other thread. Unfortunately Sony is using the 'triluminous' gimmick this year to push their TVs - saying that it provides a wider gamut etc. The reality is that all modern TVs can already meet the full gamut of the REC.709 standard anyway, so it's all a bit of nonsense really. As is the TR review which said it offered vibrant reds etc - if that's the case then the set wasn't calibrated properly.

That aside, this looks like a strong competitor to the F8000. My biggest problem with the W9 however was the DSE, blatantly obvious on pans in the demo material. Also really disliked the design with the circular 'executive' looking stand and 'stuck on' bulky Sony logo on the bottom.

As a (brief) F8000 owner at the time (since replaced with a VT65) I really wasn't very impressed with it at all. And the poor viewing angles were painfully obvious on the USB-stick media selection screen, and the blacks were looking all different shades of blue as I moved around.

I'd be interested if the pseudo-local edge dimming offers the 'cinema black' feature that the F8000 TVs have promised but not delivered. And that's something we'll probably have to wait for AVForums/HDTVTest reviews to find out.

EDIT: The input lag sounds very promising on this set too, although I'd never trust TR's measurements. Sounds like it's still going to be crazy low compared to other sets though, making this likely the best LED for gamers.

Last edited:
Probably both mate, I was standing and it was set up on the wall at a height for the sofa that was in the room.

Edit: I'm certainly no purist, I liked what I saw but the proof will be in my livingroom, if it has anything that I can't live with it will be exchanged, input lag is top of my priority where deep blacks is certainly down the bottom somewhere, I also am into the DNLA and smart features also, I think for myself it will be the best all rounder, time will tell.

Last edited:
Probably both mate, I was standing and it was set up on the wall at a height for the sofa that was in the room.

Edit: I'm certainly no purist, I liked what I saw but the proof will be in my livingroom, if it has anything that I can't live with it will be exchanged, input lag is top of my priority where deep blacks is certainly down the bottom somewhere, I also am into the DNLA and smart features also, I think for myself it will be the best all rounder, time will tell.

Thanks for the pics. Very interesting.
From the review I was expecting something disastrous in viewing angle terms, but it doesn't look too much different from what I see now on my 2010 set.
Blue shadows are just a fact of life with an LCD at an angle.
There is nothing there to tempt me to upgrade though. I don't suppose you would either if you had a choice.

Interested in your list of priorities by the way. I think if you turned it upside down you may have the order of mine. :laugh: The world would be very boring if we all wanted the same things.

Hope the set proves to be worth waiting for.

Thanks for posting those pictures. They look pretty good to me. Fingers crossed I will benefit from my current W8. Blacks are just not black enough I'm afraid.

The angle of viewing does not look That bad... I wonder if it is worse than the f8000...

The angle of viewing does not look That bad... I wonder if it is worse than the f8000...

Hi Nathan03, I too am waiting for a review to be done hopefully soon by the AVForums team to see what they make of the viewing angles and if it's better or worse than the Samsung F8000. Also, it would be interesting to know which panel Sony have used in this TV. Is it a Samsung or a Sharp Panel. We all know that the Sony W8 uses an IPS Panel made by LG.
The review of this TV on the trusted reviews website sounded amazing, but with one major Achilles' heel which is the viewing angle.

Last edited:

The photos really don't do the set justice tbh, I meant to take my proper SLR with me and damn forgot so had to use my phone unfortunately, in the flesh for me she is very nice and the viewing angle certainly looked very good, I would expect the Trusted review would have had a dark screen in a dark room to see shift at 20 degrees so a majority of us under normal viewing circumstances are not going to notice in my opinion.

I spent months looking for my last two sets and it really became a chore, you travel around checking all the different sets out, you read all the comments of all the sets, you never see everyone happy with one particular set, then on top of that you get good and bad from the same manufacturer, your own judgment when you see the set in the flesh will be your real guide.

Hi Nathan03, I too am waiting for a review to be done hopefully soon by the AVForums team to see what they make of the viewing angles and if it's better or worse than the Samsung F8000. Also, it would be interesting to know which panel Sony have used in this TV. Is it a Samsung or a Sharp Panel. We all know that the Sony W8 uses an IPS Panel made by LG.
The review of this TV on the trusted reviews website sounded amazing, but with one major Achilles' heel which is the viewing angle.

Sony is supposed to be using AMVA panel.
Plus here is some info on the backlighting.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...um-dots-and-how-could-they-help-your-next-tv/

A tough read due to the google translation. Funny that they mention one of the pro's as "A Fair Price". Not sure what the 55" is retailing for in Germany but at around £2500 in the UK, i think is too much, same goes for the F8000.

I personally Cannot see the point of unboxing videos whatsoever... I also would not put any faith in a What Hi-Fi review.

Anyone from AVF going to give us an insight as to whether this set is in the pipeline for review and how we will have to suffer until it arrives??

Well defo seem to be the only tv I am interested in this year, come on prospective owners report back tales of no banding and DSE and I am in :)

Well defo seem to be the only tv I am interested in this year, come on prospective owners report back tales of no banding and DSE and I am in :)

This ^^^^^^^^ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom