Sony kdl**w905A owners thread part 3

How come every1 always say that samsungs are the best tvs then? I think the 8000 received an update that reduces lag to around 20ms I believe.
Who says? Reviewers here rated the W9 above the F8000 (think it was Steve who said this) same over on HDTVtest.
Lag is low with no motion gubbins on, turn it on and it adds lag due to the way motion tech stuff works. Same with the Plasma screens.
Options on means more the tv has to process and do before displaying the image. ;)

Don't know many people who say that tbh. It's all a question of taste. In my experience Samsung LCDs tend to have a more processed look which some people like. There us no doubt the F8000 series are good tvs but both Panasonic and Samsung seem to have problems producing panels with good uniformity. Clouding, banding and DSE are big problems on these sets. The W9 seems to be much better in this regard.

Who says? Reviewers here rated the W9 above the F8000 (think it was Steve who said this) same over on HDTVtest.
Lag is low with no motion gubbins on, turn it on and it adds lag due to the way motion tech stuff works. Same with the Plasma screens.
Options on means more the tv has to process and do before displaying the image. ;)

I agree just in general the public consensus is that Samsung is the king of televisions, pretty much every1 & their mother recommends Samsung. That's y I've always been keen to see what a Samsung is like for myself. The reason I mention this is because without LC on the sony w9 looks no different than my w6 tbh but apparently this tv has tri-luminous, 800hz etc? :cool:.

I agree just in general the public consensus is that Samsung is the king of televisions, pretty much every1 & their mother recommends Samsung. That's y I've always been keen to see what a Samsung is like for myself. The reason I mention this is because without LC on the sony w9 looks no different than my w6 tbh but apparently this tv has tri-luminous, 800hz etc? :cool:.
Ahh the good old general public who take out the box, plug in and leave at default. The same old ones who dont care about backlight bleed and mount there tvs nearly to the ceiling lol. :rotfl::facepalm: Oh course Im jesting but you get the picture.
Honestly I just don't think you like the more natural picture quality and want a more zesty image. You can get that with any LED tv, plasma or CRT.
I dont mean that disrespectfully everyone is different, and have different tastes. I bet my only decent hat that if you went to Samsung in game mode you will repeat the same woes here but on that thread. If you went plasma you will see the same thing but with 30fps judder and maybe phosphor trailing.
Motion settings are there in modes that use more lag thus cinema. The W6 had one option and that was it the W9 has a few. Trilumious is there, it does the job and gives a great colour as a result.
With the W9 out the box with a few minor tweaks its pretty accurate. There was a former mod on here who use to work in the video games industry and worked on titles with Disney and there monitors they worked on where calibrated with a Spyder calibration tool so the images matched across screens and it was closer to Rec709 standards. There is also a calibrator on here who Im sure he said was working with EA calibrating screens so they too worked to the same video standards.
The downside is not everyone likes this. My Dad likes Vivid setting on his screen which has orange skin tones. My mates Dad likes brightness right low but then you cant see anything in the dark.

But seriously mate if your not happy venture forth and try something else, in the end if your not happy keep trying and maybe you will find a shoe that fits...or rather a tv that suits. :thumbsup:

Ahh the good old general public who take out the box, plug in and leave at default. The same old ones who dont care about backlight bleed and mount there tvs nearly to the ceiling lol. :rotfl::facepalm: Oh course Im jesting but you get the picture.
Honestly I just don't think you like the more natural picture quality and want a more zesty image. You can get that with any LED tv, plasma or CRT.
I dont mean that disrespectfully everyone is different, and have different tastes. I bet my only decent hat that if you went to Samsung in game mode you will repeat the same woes here but on that thread. If you went plasma you will see the same thing but with 30fps judder and maybe phosphor trailing.
Motion settings are there in modes that use more lag thus cinema. The W6 had one option and that was it the W9 has a few. Trilumious is there, it does the job and gives a great colour as a result.
With the W9 out the box with a few minor tweaks its pretty accurate. There was a former mod on here who use to work in the video games industry and worked on titles with Disney and there monitors they worked on where calibrated with a Spyder calibration tool so the images matched across screens and it was closer to Rec709 standards. There is also a calibrator on here who Im sure he said was working with EA calibrating screens so they too worked to the same video standards.
The downside is not everyone likes this. My Dad likes Vivid setting on his screen which has orange skin tones. My mates Dad likes brightness right low but then you cant see anything in the dark.

But seriously mate if your not happy venture forth and try something else, in the end if your not happy keep trying and maybe you will find a shoe that fits...or rather a tv that suits. :thumbsup:
Hey! Nothing wrong with orange faces, some people on TV have done very well with that kind of coloured skin!!

I am happy with the W9, I think the colours look so much more attractive than the w6 but that's only when LC is on really & users say that over-saturates. My only problem is motion blur caus' I hate blur with a passion! The reason I ditched my 6 year old Toshiba is 'caus of motion blur & recently again with the w6. After now owning a high end tv (& arguably the best) I've no excuse, motion blur it seems will be in my life forever!

I want everythin to be perfect but nothing is perfect in life so I'm forever chasing frustration. Years & years of distorted obsessive anxious thoughts :thumbsdow..

Strange screen formatting issues when using the TV's media player.
I have a panasonic BWT720 which can act as a media server.
Most programmes recorded on the 720 can be streamed.
My PS3 can play the files.
My Sony Amp can play the files.
However the W9 even though it can play the files, it zooms the screen!!
When I go into the screen settings on the W9, Wide Zoom and Full have the same result. The picture remains zoomed while playing a network video from the 720. But the PS3 and Sony amp display all of the picture. The W9 loses a fair bit of all the edges of the film.
I copied the film onto my NAS and this time, the PS3, Amp and W9 all play a full picture but when the W9 communicates with the 720, I get a zoomed picture. Looks like Sony have the software for the media players on the PS3 and Amp correctly displaying the stream from the 720 but the W9 has not!
Maybe a firmware change might be needed.....

I wish I knew how to stream and stuff. NAS, MKV...its all crazy talk to me.
I think Im getting old in my young age.

Takin this back for either a bigger 46' (extra 100) or a 46' Samsung f8000 (up to 300 extra). Some1 mentioned above the samsung has a more processed image but if that means smoother motion thn i'm all for it. The lag was recently significantly reduced in game mode apparently. I can always go back to the w9 thx to JL' excellent return policy. I wanna see for myself how excellent the f8000 PQ is but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle though :blush:.

If I take the plunge soon I hope I don't get one of you guys 'returns' :(.

Motion blur is part of LCD, it doesn't bother me on the better models, plasma motion isn't perfect either for me.

If I take the plunge soon I hope I don't get one of you guys 'returns' :(.

Motion blur is part of LCD, it doesn't bother me on the better models, plasma motion isn't perfect either for me.

Well the 55" has been out of stock for a few days now, debatable whether they'll get anymore seeing as the replacement W955 is due any time now

I'm interested to see a calibration that gets the tv PQ as gd as Live colour but without being over-saturated. Games look so much better though with LC on opposed to default picture. Regardless of saturation u have to be blind to not recognise the difference but im sure its possible to get the picture evn better.

Sporran, I have to disagree regarding viewing angles. 40 degrees off centre just looks washed out. You don't get the true colours in all their glory until you are pretty much dead centre.

They do go off but to be wouldnt call it washed out tbh. In fact had friends and family over last night, you know the types some happy for you and others slightly green and are usually first to pick out flaws but nothing.

But having seen some of the pics in this thread i was really worried, but this set doesnt have anything like on here inc clouding, i can just make out the "fingers" when on a bright white screen but you have to look for them but nothing like some of the pics shown here and on normal viewing cannot be seen at all. So in light of this am not going to run that youtube vid :) Maybe Jan 14 builds are better?

For me the achilles heel really is the sound not the viewing angle, they should have gone for the 9+9+10 woofer setup like on my 5yr old Z series.

Hi metrofour,

I just checked Sonicdirects site and it says £1449 for this TV? Am I on the wrong website?

Also do you live close to the store so that they would accept the price match?

Yeah for some reason the prices go down and up.And no,just say you live nearby for the postcode.Its a joke really,how hit and miss it is.

Correct website, Sonicdirect have increased the price.
As for living close to the store, it all depends on who in JL looks into the price match. Some will match, others won't.
My refund went through on the £1249 price at the weekend, still keeping an eye out for a lower price, still have almost 3 weeks for the price to drop. If I find it cheaper will post the link on here.

Thanks Mike id appreciate that I don't have much time to look and I too have 3 wks left.

They do go off but to be wouldnt call it washed out tbh. In fact had friends and family over last night, you know the types some happy for you and others slightly green and are usually first to pick out flaws but nothing.

But having seen some of the pics in this thread i was really worried, but this set doesnt have anything like on here inc clouding, i can just make out the "fingers" when on a bright white screen but you have to look for them but nothing like some of the pics shown here and on normal viewing cannot be seen at all. So in light of this am not going to run that youtube vid :) Maybe Jan 14 builds are better?

For me the achilles heel really is the sound not the viewing angle, they should have gone for the 9+9+10 woofer setup like on my 5yr old Z series.
Have you adjusted the sound with the inbuilt equaliser? Don't think it sounds so bad.

Well the 55" has been out of stock for a few days now, debatable whether they'll get anymore seeing as the replacement W955 is due any time now

Out of stock where mate ?. I heard there could be problems with the new screens but it would appear they are cheaper ?.

Anyone with a PS3 hooked up to the W9, do you use full RGB or limited RGB setting on the PS3?

I'll post some photos of my W9 later, I posted a white screen photo a while back for my X4500, so it will be interesting to see how they compare!

Use full Rgb mate with your games. The tv can handle a full rgb input with no problems.

Have you adjusted the sound with the inbuilt equaliser? Don't think it sounds so bad.
Yer tried boosting them up but its the bass it suffers from, very weak. The Z4500 had a built in sound bar with woofer epic sound. Am really happy though that the Z is now my gaming TV so not a loss in that sense :D

Anyone with a PS3 hooked up to the W9, do you use full RGB or limited RGB setting on the PS3?

I'll post some photos of my W9 later, I posted a white screen photo a while back for my X4500, so it will be interesting to see how they compare!

Did you find one with a good uniform screen, I had bad pillars on mine as you know :) making do with a hx823 (which is pretty good) until this years models are in the wild.

Whats the deal with the JL guarantee?
I had my replacement since end of Dec. TV now broken, engineering coming to look and maybe take away to repair tomorrow. I really doubt a repair will be possible, but also not happy with a repair given that ive only had the replacement since the week before Christmas.
JL said to me that they need to try and repair first.
Whats the deal with replacements and refunds?
8 week old tv shouldnt need to be taken apart and repaired, imo.

Hi everyone

Just received my 55", Picture looks perfect out the box! Extremely happy with it so far. (Build: Feb 2014)
Does anyone know how to set up the freeview as I am having problems connecting it?

Takin this back for either a bigger 46' (extra 100) or a 46' Samsung f8000 (up to 300 extra). Some1 mentioned above the samsung has a more processed image but if that means smoother motion thn i'm all for it. The lag was recently significantly reduced in game mode apparently. I can always go back to the w9 thx to JL' excellent return policy. I wanna see for myself how excellent the f8000 PQ is but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle though :blush:.

F8000 doesn't have better motion IMHO, I did compare with W9 before I bought one. On the F8000 thread there are mentions of judder on display, regardless of content or settings. I also see one everyday at work & I think it looks washed out compared to W9. Measured contrast is also worse than W9.
I don't think it has better PQ either, Samsung's TV's all have very bright panels & I think that's what attracts the general public to always buy Samsung. Plus their range of TV's is huge, seems like their ratio against other manufacturers in most shops is 6 to 1 :eek:

As insanity said though you need to get the tv that's right for you, but from what you say your needs are, I doubt you will find the right model with this generation of TV's.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom