Sony kdl**w905A owners thread part 3

Might be a good idea to give Jl a quick email, that way you have a return email from them about it John, ;).
As far as I recall fella I think you just need to give your Bro the order details / number and that's it. I don't even think you need to phone JL to update the details to his.

Though don't quote me on that!!
Cheers gents.
Got home and fired a tweet to the and got a reply asking me to call them.
Do that tomorrow. Far too tired today.

Edit: Will fire them an email when I wake from my nap. Much easier and it's done then.

So the general consensus is this is a better TV than the 55w829? For all features and picture quality?

Everybody got a bit of banding/DSE visible on the England game?

I have on this Sony....

dafbd1830f23cb8542b151821ed34c2c_zps37224e77.jpg

Lol

Everybody got a bit of banding/DSE visible on the England game?
DSE? Damned Suarez effect......yes!:(

Seriously though, it's there, but I didn't notice it once for the whole 90 minutes.

Is the banding and DSE worse than on the 829?
Nobody can answer that question.
All LEDs suffer from from it. All models, all makes. It's just luck whether you get a good one. It shouldn't be like that, but it is...sadly.

I went back and had a look at the settings, and now I'm trying Warm 1 as a middle ground between Neutral and Warm 2. I found clear white to be a very small and subtle change under Cinema 2, almost like a fine tuning setting between Neutral/Warm 1/Warm 2. It's certainly not enough to make a Warm 2 do whites that are not yellow.

I went back and had a look at the settings, and now I'm trying Warm 1 as a middle ground between Neutral and Warm 2. I found clear white to be a very small and subtle change under Cinema 2, almost like a fine tuning setting between Neutral/Warm 1/Warm 2. It's certainly not enough to make a Warm 2 do whites that are not yellow.

Hi,

That's pretty much the same route I took and lived with Warm-1 for quite a few weeks then changed over to Warm-2 and found that it wasn't as bad as I remembered it.

I think if you give a good amount of time for your eyes/brain to get used to the Warm-1 you'll then find switching to Warm-2 is easier but in the end it's what you're happy with that counts.

Dave.

Funny - I'm another one who's just did this. After a week of neutral I thought I'd give warm 1 a go. 2 days I've been using it and it appears better. Not quite ready to jump to warm 2 though.

In regards to banding - I've noticed nothing. In fact so much so I never even knew what banding was until I searched for it. I will however go home and try to force out some banding with some grey/white images to see how badly my screen is affected. The fact that I've not noticed probably indicates it's very minimal.

Cheers gents.
Got home and fired a tweet to the and got a reply asking me to call them.
Do that tomorrow. Far too tired today.

Edit: Will fire them an email when I wake from my nap. Much easier and it's done then.

Warranty definitely transferable mate.

I had a JL price match for the 46W905 that I let a mate use. However, the price match could only be used by myself, so I bought the TV & then later transferred the 5 year warranty over to my mate. I spoke to them to check this out beforehand to be safe - all you need is the order number & they will amend the details so the remaining warranty goes to the new owner.

Similar situation if you bought a TV as a gift - just provide the order number & new owner details & everything gets transferred. Hope that helps. :)

No, don't do that! If you don't know what it is and you haven't noticed it then just enjoy your tv. If you start messing about with grey stills etc in an attempt to find problems then you run the risk of finding it and it ruining your enjoyment of your tv. Once seen it cannot be unseen.

Funny - I'm another one who's just did this. After a week of neutral I thought I'd give warm 1 a go. 2 days I've been using it and it appears better. Not quite ready to jump to warm 2 though.

In regards to banding - I've noticed nothing. In fact so much so I never even knew what banding was until I searched for it. I will however go home and try to force out some banding with some grey/white images to see how badly my screen is affected. The fact that I've not noticed probably indicates it's very minimal.
No. Don't do that.
It makes no sense at all to go looking for problems when you are happy.
Why risk spoiling things? Once you spot it you won't be able to ignore it.
Just enjoy what you have. :)

Jacksdad beat me to it!! Lol

Glad to be back ome wiv me W9 :D,

Ok got a potential way to minimise DSE on football for anybody interested. Go to Sports scene. Max out the backlight and drop the brightness a couple of clicks. Bring gamma up to 0 and switch Live colour to Medium. Obviously it makes everything a bit garish and less natural but definitely minimises DSE. Let me know what you think.

I'm really tempted by the 55" version on offer at Currys but the lack of 5 year warranty is slightly worrying when spending that much on a TV. To those who own the TV in question, is it still worth the purchase over spending an equivalent amount on a 55" TV (Sony 829/myriad of Samsung variations) with a 5 year warranty from John Lewis or Richersounds ?

I'm finding dark scenes a little too dark, can anyone suggest some setting adjustments?

I've basically took the settings from here and applied to my screen, I have then adjusted them a little here and there but nothing major. I just find dark scenes a little too dark.

I'm finding dark scenes a little too dark, can anyone suggest some setting adjustments?

I've basically took the settings from here and applied to my screen, I have then adjusted them a little here and there but nothing major. I just find dark scenes a little too dark.
Setting gamma to 0 is the obvious one that comes to mind.
It should improve shadow detail assuming I've understood what you mean.

Agreed with Andrew, Gamma 0, brightness 50, Dynamic led Control Low.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom