Sony kdl**w905A owners thread part 3

I have to agree with Greg. Throughout the snow (white) scenes in GOT last night I too played with the warmth. Now I have slightly altered my white balances (-/+ here and there) and neutral gave me the closest to white I could get. Warm 1 & 2 just made it look stale and creamy.

But like you said. It's all relative and in the eye of the beholder :)

Funilly enough, it was the same thing with me. I was watching a nature documentary with lots of snow and mountains, and the scenes just looked very yellow/cream. Look at a movie like "Alien" and the scenes at the beginning in the hypersleep suite look drastically different. Clinical, white walls looks quite yellow using Warm settings.

I quite like the neutral as not only are whites more white, but it brings things away from that traditional film looks and more towards a modern digital cleanliness.

Obviously it's all "eye of the beholder stuff", but people get used to a certain look and instead of giving different things a chance and experimenting, the first thing they do is set everything to look the same as their old screens because that is what they are expecting.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow so gonna have to get to grips on my return but NFC doesn't seem to work with my nokia phone. Is it experia only?

Also doesn't pick up my plex server. My other server it only picks up pictures not movies. Anyone had this in past?

I'm off on holiday tomorrow so gonna have to get to grips on my return but NFC doesn't seem to work with my nokia phone. Is it experia only?

Also doesn't pick up my plex server. My other server it only picks up pictures not movies. Anyone had this in past?

Works fine with my Nexus tablet, I basically get a mirror image of whatever is on the tablet screen.

For gods sake can somebody who knows about calibration and what whites are supposed to look like back me up re colour Temperature on this W9 ???. Or maybe I'm on my own again :rolleyes:.

For gods sake can somebody who knows about calibration and what whites are supposed to look like back me up re colour Temperature on this W9 ???. Or maybe I'm on my own again :rolleyes:.
Chill Winston ;)

For those wanting to setup without a meter leave white balance alone.
Unless you have some insanely good luck tinkering with white balance controls without a meter can actually make the tv look worse.
One of the best places to start is here.
http://www.avforums.com/pages/pictureperfect/
It has a step by step guide and explains what's what.

Colour temp on these sets by what I've calibrated myself and expert reviews have noted is warm 2 is closer to the D65 white point. That in short is like daylight.
By going to other presets you make the color temp more blue or cooler. This may result in whites appearing brighter but it will also have dumped blue in everything else from skin tones to grass etc etc.

I'm not going to tell people how to set it up there's tvs as some people don't like a calibrated image. But if you want to get closer to it follow the AVFORUMS perfect picture steps for guidance of the basics.

Chill Winston ;)

Unless you have some insanely good luck tinkering with white balance controls without a meter can actually make the tv look worse.

Colour temp on these sets by what I've calibrated myself and expert reviews have noted is warm 2 is closer to the D65 white point. That in short is like daylight.
By going to other presets you make the color temp more blue or cooler. This may result in whites appearing brighter but it will also have dumped blue in everything else from skin tones to grass etc etc.

I'm not going to tell people how to set it up there's tvs as some people don't like a calibrated image. But if you want to get closer to it follow the AVFORUMS perfect picture steps for guidance of the basics.

Sorry Captain.. But when people post things about how to setup a tv that will 99.9% spoil a sets pq for them even from ootb settings it annoys me.
FairPlay to you explaining in a calm manner though ;),

Neutral colour temp for me for general viewing, Warm 1 for movies.

If this TV could just track a fast moving football smoothly, i'd be very happy.

Took the plunge and bought a 55" 905 last night from Currys. Completely blows the AS650 out of the water that I had just returned.

Looking forward to playing around with the picture settings on it.

Chill Winston ;)

Hi. Insanity
Without trying to upset anyone, I have used your settings and find white's lovely. I know you are going to smack my hand because all tv's can be different but it works for me.

Hi. Insanity
Without trying to upset anyone, I have used your settings and find white's lovely. I know you are going to smack my hand because all tv's can be different but it works for me.

Warm 2 has proper whites so your doing the right thing ;)

Could never get it working with my Galaxy S3 here.

Took the plunge and bought a 55" 905 last night from Currys. Completely blows the AS650 out of the water that I had just returned.

Looking forward to playing around with the picture settings on it.

That's interesting, what aspects of PQ in particular ?.

Hi. Insanity
If they work for you mate enjoy them. ;)

I watch free online shows/films on glowgaze (now called g2g) I use my laptop and its great on that in H. I have tried on numerous occasions to watch it on 55" w905 tv and it works but it will not let me put it on full screen, so unless I sit 2 feet away from the screen then it's pointless. Is there any way to make it full screen? I have pushed the button on the remote to make it larger but it says 'feature is not available' to use while watching films. Hopefully there is a way around this. I bought a chromecast dongle which works from laptop onto tv but the picture quality isn't HD and looks like a dodgy pirate!

Thanks in advance.

That's interesting, what aspects of PQ in particular ?.

Nothing in particular. I just didn't have time last night to play around with the TV yet. From what I can see, the default settings are awesome already but I just wanted to see how much better I can make it.

I was just gonna use my DVE disc and see what settings I end up with. I'm a complete noob when it comes to things like this though so any pointers greatly appreciated.

I have a nexus 5 and I couldn't get NFC working. I just get a message on the tv telling me it couldn't sync (or something similar). I then read some posts on other sites detailing it was only Sony phones that worked, which obviously is a lie as a previous poster got it working with their nexus.

warm 2 just destroys the image on my tv. I might as well be watching something in serpia mode.

warm 2 just destroys the image on my tv. I might as well be watching something in serpia mode.
I wonder whether this is a personal preference thing, or variation between sets???.
Have you, and the others who don't like Warm 2, tried warm 2 with clear white. It will add "Daz" blue to whites, but leave other colours untouched mostly.
I find the blue tinge too much in Warm1 let alone the other choices, so I'm just curious if you're putting up with that to get whites whiter, or whether all colours have a sepia look in Warm 2.

I wonder whether this is a personal preference thing, or variation between sets???.
Have you, and the others who don't like Warm 2, tried warm 2 with clear white. It will add "Daz" blue to whites, but leave other colours untouched mostly.
I find the blue tinge too much in Warm1 let alone the other choices, so I'm just curious if you're putting up with that to get whites whiter, or whether all colours have a sepia look in Warm 2.

What or where is the clear white setting?

I can't really say if it's preference or a difference but both me and the missus agree that warm 2 just tints the whole image way too much, especially whites.

Now, with neutral set on the Standard mode (with no other changes) whites appear blueish, but cinema with neutral is bang on. Both however look off with warm 2.

There's no way I can prove this really as taking a photo of the set won't do diddly squat (unless the white balance in my camera is bang on - or else it'll just show a wrong representation of the actual set).

Clear white is in the advanced bit of picture settings just below the LED dynamic control options.

If it's the whole image it may be a difference between sets. Like you say it's impossible to check really without the sets side by side. My fault for asking a silly question:D

Doesn't matter really as long as you're happy.

Clear white is in the advanced bit of picture settings just below the LED dynamic control options.

If it's the whole image it may be a difference between sets. Like you say it's impossible to check really without the sets side by side. My fault for asking a silly question:D

Doesn't matter really as long as you're happy.

I'll give it a go. It's definitely the whole set that changes though, not just whites. I could probably make warm 2 work, but I'd need to alter 50 other settings to suit my eyes and does that really count as warm 2 if I change so many settings? probably not.

Nevertheless mate, I'm ecstatic. I'm truly happy with this set.

Hi,

I think it could well be a variation between the TV's, lets face it no matter how good Sony's QC is they can't all be exactly the same - the guys on here with the pink tinge to their pictures are a prime example.

I now use Warm-2 but went through various other settings first. It does take time to get used to it and you need to stick with it for a few days - a quick 1/2 hour viewing is not going to work.

But in the end it's down to personal taste and if you want to leave it on Vivid the great, as long as your happy.

Dave.

Nothing in particular. I just didn't have time last night to play around with the TV yet. From what I can see, the default settings are awesome already but I just wanted to see how much better I can make it.

I was just gonna use my DVE disc and see what settings I end up with. I'm a complete noob when it comes to things like this though so any pointers greatly appreciated.

Ahh I see,I was just wondering like. Yes these are quite accurate ootb in Cinema Warm 2, infact with the calibrators I've spoken with none have used anything other than warm 2 as the starting point for calibration.

Glad your pleased with it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom