Sony KDL-W5500 SERIES *Part 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am i correct in saying you have to have motion switched off to be able to get 1080/24p on the w5500? Also is there a setting for 24p or is it automatically switched?

thanks

wolfy!!!!

Am i correct in saying you have to have motion switched off to be able to get 1080/24p on the w5500? Also is there a setting for 24p or is it automatically switched?

thanks

wolfy!!!!

The tv switches to 24p mode when it detects a 24p signal input. This is separate to the Motionflow settings which you should set to your preference.

hi there,i finaly ordered a 46w5500 from john lewis after months of reading and looking at sets,its comein wednesday:) this will be my first lcd and i carnt wait i all ready have a ps3 which i plan on useing 4 games/dvd/cd/blueray but i got a free sony sp350 bd player so my question is is it worth keeping the bd player or is the ps3 better/worse? many thanks

Out of interest do many people have the motionflow on standard or High or off.

I can't decide which I like really:D

Does anyone have the extra settings on like, Noise reduction or the MPEG Noise reduction on? I have flicked between settings and can't see any difference when these are on or off?

Precisely.

I think 'terrorist' is playing his part very well! LOL

Do you mean the button that toggles back & forth between two channels (current and last viewed) - the 32D3000 remote had it* but the 5500 Bravia remotes don't, which is a shame because it was really useful.

*On the 32D3000 remote it's the button below the '9'.

Precisely.

I think 'terrorist' is playing his part very well! LOL
crawl back into your hole and check page 13 of the user's guide. there are two buttons 'digital' and 'analog' described.

[20] DIGITAL - press to display last watched digital channel
[21] ANALOG - press to display last watched analog channel

(both descriptions translated from my language)

I think Alsina means the toggle button which allows you to go back and forth between two channels - it's the one below the 9 here http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/5199-remote.jpg

The 5500 remotes have a back button but it doesn't let you go both ways - you can only go back.

UK sets have replaced the channel toggle button below the number 9 with a favourites button on the W550.

(Unless of course the spec of the remote control has changed recently without word from Sony)

Last edited:
Just got my set and had a couple of questions (I've tried searching but can't find a way to do these) -

1. How do I move the Information bar down versus on top of the screen? I find it really annoying to have it at the top.

2. In SD how do I navigate back to the channel I changed from? Doesn't seem to be a back button on the remote.

Any ideas anyone?

Please help if you know...:)

crawl back into your hole and check page 13 of the user's guide. there are two buttons 'digital' and 'analog' described.

[20] DIGITAL - press to display last watched digital channel
[21] ANALOG - press to display last watched analog channel

(both descriptions translated from my language)

So, moving on from personal insults, what you are suggesting in response to the question from lonetrooper is that the 'DIGITAL' and 'ANALOG' buttons on the remote control act as 'BACK' buttons. In other words, if I am watching digital and am on channel 1 and then switch to channel 3, if I press the 'DIGITAL' button on the remote, it will take me straight back to channel 1. Must say I've never tried those buttons for that purpose, but will do so today and report back.

Doesn't work for my UK remote.

So, moving on from personal insults, what you are suggesting in response to the question from lonetrooper is that the 'DIGITAL' and 'ANALOG' buttons on the remote control act as 'BACK' buttons. In other words, if I am watching digital and am on channel 1 and then switch to channel 3, if I press the 'DIGITAL' button on the remote, it will take me straight back to channel 1. Must say I've never tried those buttons for that purpose, but will do so today and report back.

I received a 40W5500 a few days ago now and I must say its impressive. I'm still waiting for Sky to get HD installed but even SD looks pretty decent. It really comes alive when watching BD tho, it really is spectacular. Gaming on the PS3 is awesome too so I'm really happy with the set. It certainly gets my recommendation.:thumbsup:

Confirmed today that there are no 'BACK' buttons on the W5500 remote or any other buttons which offer this function.

I have the 32W5500

Just wondered peoples views on a few things:-

Do poeple who have Sky HD watch SD through the HDMI or do you have a scart connected for all SD material?

I have also noticed that when the sharpness is altered when it is through the scart their is a huge difference between min and max setting.

When the sharpness is altered when it is through the HDMI I can't see that much difference between Min and Max setting. It is more noticable when in the EPG guide as the image does go sharper. Is that normal with HDMI on this TV?

What is the general opinion and how do most poeple have theirs setup?

Last edited:
Confirmed today that there are no 'BACK' buttons on the W5500 remote or any other buttons which offer this function.

Pressing the DIGITAL button on my 40W5500 remote does not return to the previously viewed channel - in fact it does nothing at all if the tuner is already on a digital channel.

fanny just bought the 46w5500. the first thing he noticed though was that there is some awfull bleeding. my previous set was a 40v3000 and that didnt have any bleeding. i suppose that quality goes up?

so what to do? is this **** covered by warranty? should i contact sony directly or exchange it at the store where i bought it.

this is ********.

thats not related to the quality,it could have been the other way round.I think its better to ask the shop for replacement

could anyone using the w5500 with a Sony HTSS1300 amp please tell me if you use the bravia sync do you only need one remote then "the amp remote "can anyone explain the different functions you can do if this is the case??

:lease:

For those of you worried about the backlighting issues, if it's any consolation I traded in my SonyW5500 for a new Samsung 7020 LED and the bleeding from the corners is much, much worse! Still love my new TV though!

Hello to all in this forum - my first post as I have just bought a kdl37w5500.
I usually post in the dphoto forum and my question is partly to do with pictures.

I have had no bother showing a slideshow from a USB stick but does anyone know if it is possible to have music at the same time from another source (ie not the USB stick) ? If so how?

Many thanks

My 46W5500 is back at sony now, they're checking out the complaint I have about the backlight bleed. I half expect a response "sorry? backlight bleed? no such thing, its perfect", then have it returned with the problem still blatently apparent.

Hopefully not. I wouldn't mind if it were fixed. You can see the areas where it is badly effected seems to be perfectly symetrical, as in where screws are holding the panel in place.

One question I have for everyone, is about some other issues I noticed with my set..
A: Ghosting. Very bad ghosting effect when black writing had say a grey background. This could be partly resolved by changing modes, but the ghosting was pretty bad. Anyone else plugged their W5500 into a PC as a monitor notice any faint ghosting?

B: Brightness dimmed on the edges. About 1cm around the very outside of the screen, the brightness drops out slightly. Noticed this when I have a white picture. Anyone else able to test theirs out?

Really hoping to just get the $ put towards the Z40 at this stage

Have you had the results or tv back yet?

cheers

Dan

For those of you worried about the backlighting issues, if it's any consolation I traded in my SonyW5500 for a new Samsung 7020 LED and the bleeding from the corners is much, much worse! Still love my new TV though!

cheers graham,

this is really useful post - I was considering buying the 7 series instead of this TV but the gaming lag put me off. I still think the SD picture on the 7 is marginally beter and the 7 series in blue looks fantastic. I'm glad you're happy with it.

Dan:thumbsup:

(first time i've used an emoticon - I feel a bit dirty)

Hello to all in this forum - my first post as I have just bought a kdl37w5500.
I usually post in the dphoto forum and my question is partly to do with pictures.

I have had no bother showing a slideshow from a USB stick but does anyone know if it is possible to have music at the same time from another source (ie not the USB stick) ? If so how?

Many thanks

eddy,

couldn't get mine to play music off usb and show photos - however I stream from xbox to do this via media centre and find it works better.

Hello to all. New guy on the forum. Just wanted to say that i bought the 40W5500 and it comes with backlight bleeding in the corners but the tv itself is very great with good "natural" motion (100Hz), great contrast (the blacks are beautiful) and looks great with a pc connected from DVI to HDMI in 1920*1080... :thumbsup:

Can i ask you all a question: PS3 has a good Blu-ray quality or not? I am thinking of buying one or perhaps the Sony BDP-S550... Help...

Last edited:
The PS3 quality is perfect, so long as you're not using analogue audio components, and so long as you can tolerate its slight fan noise and having to buy the remote control separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom