Sony KDL W3000 dynamic contrast...dealbreaker?

SuperSquash

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've fallen into a fortunate situation where I'm able to sell my (only 3 month old Panny 32LXD70) and purchase a bigger, full 1080p set. I'm still trying to formulate my shortlist, and I have to admit it is pretty mind numbing the amount of choices and varying views.

As the title suggests, one of the 'potentials' is the Sony W3000. I've read the HDTV test review, and picture and settings wise it seems like a great set. However, owning a Panasonic at the moment, I've already been through the whole 'dynamic contrast' debacle and was finally able to get a picture that I liked using the non molested cinema mode. What bothers me though about the Sony, is that it seems that this cannot be disabled?

Perhaps Sony's attempt at dynamic contrast was more of a success than Panasonic's on my LXD70, but it annoyed the hell out of me for that, so if the Sony does it too, I can't help but think I might need to strike if off my list?

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this? The set will be used for SD content (which I have accepted will look poor - particularly at 7-8 feet), Xbox 360 and HD-DVD - with the likely addition of Blu-ray later on.

Failing this, I'm having trouble finding another set that ticks all of the boxes other than the Toshiba 42Z3030DB (which I'm yet to find a quality review on).

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom