• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony KDL-V4500 Series(720p,be 2,33.000:1 Contrast)

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
The new 720p series from sony
http://www.sony-europe.com/res/attachment/file/02/1209376179302.pdf

Screen size 26-inch 32-inch 37-inch
Picture Frame Mode Yes Yes Yes
BRAVIA™ ENGINE 2 Yes Yes Yes
Panel resolution 1366×768 1366×768 1366×768
BRAVIA™ Sync Yes Yes Yes Yes
XMB™ (Xross Media Bar™) Yes Yes Yes
24p True Cinema™ Yes Yes Yes
USB Photo Viewer Yes Yes Yes
Theatre Mode Yes Yes Yes
178 degree viewing angle Yes Yes Yes
Integrated MPEG-4 AVC HD tuner¹ Yes Yes Yes
Integrated Digital TV tuner Yes Yes Yes
HDMI™ input x3 Yes Yes Yes
SCART x2 Yes Yes Yes
HD15 PC graphics input Yes Yes Yes
Swivel Yes Yes Yes

The dynamic contrast will be 33.000:1(26",32") and 22.000:1(37")

USER SETTTINGS

Capcom suicide
Picture Mode - Cinema
Backlight - Min (night) 4 (day)
Contrast - 79
Brightness - 51
Colour - 52
Colour Temp - Warm2 (Warm1 for games)
Sharpness - Min
Noise Reduction - Off (On for Freeview)
MPEG NR - Off

Advanced Settings

Contrast Enhancer - Off
Live Colour – Normal

Shiney
Picture mode - cinema
Backlight - 1
contrast - 70
brightness - 48
colour - 53
temp - warm 2
sharpness – min
yavorvm
backlight- 2
contrast - 80
brightness- 55
color 55
sharpness- 10 is ok for a PC , although on desktop mode needs to be more like 5 so that the letters are not blur a bit

temp - warm1 seems better for more of the scenes, although neutral works too

Last edited:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Hi!I ve got the EU pricing estimates
The 26V4500 areound 700EUR
The 32V4500 around 800-850EUR
The 37V4500 around 1100EUR

Ahh and sth off topic.I see you are the creator of the Sony KDL-V3000 thread.Do you mind making a first post update?

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
My God! Sony are doing a 37" model. About time they beefed up their offerings at that size.

Yeah looks like a very good model although its not 1080p

I wonder why they provide an HD tuner with DVB-T (terrestrial) and DVB-C (cable). There are no terrestrial HD channels in the UK and cable subscribers have their own tuners, If they had included DVB-S for HD satellite transmissions that would have been great timing for Freesat, but DVB-S is not mentioned in the press release. So I am confused about what use this HD tuner has in the UK. Anyone?

Am I wrong or the HD freeview UK channels will use the DVB-C?Also all the EU countries in the future in their HD channels will have this type

J

j3000

Am I wrong or the HD freeview UK channels will use the DVB-C?Also all the EU countries in the future in their HD channels will have this type

In other European countries HD services are already available on digital terrestrial and in some countries these TVs can be used directly on the cable TV networks which also sometimes have HD signals. Unfortunately due to OFCOM's plan to use the incomplete DVB-T2 standard there will not be much (any?) benefit of these features in the UK. Expect UK specific information for these models not to mention it.

It does mean that it should work as a digital TV in Ireland when broadcasts start.

conners

Standard Member
anyone bought one of these yet? i'm considering the 26" for the bedroom (have a 40w3000 in the living room). Although cheapest i can find is £550.

Can get the 26T3000 for £399 but the better specs on the newer models are really tempting me...

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Stock has just started to appear on some EU countries and yet there are very very few owners.Seems like top 26" though and considering the top PQ that W4000 series offer that has almost same specs I would buy it

capcom_suicide

Stock has just started to appear on some EU countries and yet there are very very few owners.Seems like top 26" though and considering the top PQ that W4000 series offer that has almost same specs I would buy it

I got one here in Norway today. It was £750 delivered and the W4000 was £1000 delivered.

As it's for gaming, and 360/PS3 games are generally max 720p, and after careful consideration, I couldn't justify £250 for the extra resolution.

In my research the guy in the SonyCentre told me that as long as I sat a few Meters away from the TV then the chances of seeing a hug difference were not huge.

I hope I won't be dissapointed, but the price was very good. (Most places here had £850 as RRP.)

Will it be as good as the W4000? Nope.

Will it be good enough for games, and allow me to watch the occasional BluRay? Almost certainly!

I have a Pioneer 43" plasma in the main lounge for TV/Film, and I hope that the low input lag of the V4500 will make it a sensible mid range choice.

It arrives on Tuesday and I'll post pictures impression if anyone is interested?

Chris, you are a credit to these boards and thanks for the advice you have given. :thumbsup:

chocky909

I wonder how the 26V4500 will compare to the 26E40xx. I assume the E is the higher specced model but I can only see the lack of photo mode as any real difference.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Spec wise they are the same at the 26" models only though

capcom_suicide

I've just spent some time in a sony centre chatting with the salesman, (And saying sorry for buying online!)

The screen was setup with HDMI and placed alongside the 32W4000.

Both screens were getting a 1080P 24Fps signal, and I'll be 100% honest, in moving pictures I really couldn't tell any difference. On larger sets I can always tell the difference, but at 32" I could no way justify the extra cash.

I love the fact the screen uses the Media Cross Bar, and I was impressed that the inbuilt Decoder is responsive and doesn't block out half the screen like an older Sony I saw.

Testing the PS3 I was immediatly amazed at the lack of lag. I have a Pioneer XDE43 and this little TV blew it out of the water for gaming clarity and action on screen.

Blacks seems sublime and I like the new design. Sound was very average, but I'll be using my gaming 5.1 setup anyway.

All in all I am delighted and can't wait for mine to arrive.

For people in expensive countries a little over £700 for this TV seems like a great deal.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
I am still surprised why sony UK hasnt bring them yet,every EU country has started getting pc's

reslfj

Standard Member
In other European countries HD services are already available on digital terrestrial
Very, very little HD - The DVB-T network do not have the capacity and MPEG-4 real time encoding is not yet that efficient.

j3000 said:
Unfortunately due to OFCOM's plan to use the incomplete DVB-T2 standard there will not be much (any?) benefit of these features in the UK.
It does mean that it should work as a digital TV in Ireland when broadcasts start.

About the only thing 'unfortunate' is your lack of patience. The Ofcom plan will save large sums for the UK Freeview users during the DSO period.

In the parts of Ireland with access to the UK multiplexes - a DVB-T2 receiver will be needed to receive the UK-PSB-3 HD-MUX.
Until DTT starts in Ireland, there is a very real risk that something will change. Maybe a firmware update can fix such changes, maybe not - who knows.

Lars :)

PS! If you need it today - postpone any purchase until tomorrow. (the 'just in time principle' for electronics.)

PeterCH

Standard Member
Yes the V4500 as the W4000 can decode MPEG4 (H.264) broadcast.

But H.264 is not only related to HD, some european countries switch directly from analoge terrestrial broadcast to DVB-T using MPEG4 compression which is twice as efficiant as MPEG2, therefore more programs fit into a multiplex.

DVB-T2 is a more efficiant modulation method as current DVB-T, but DVB-T2 is still an early draft standard.

Last edited:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Any pics you can show us please?The MSRP for the 32" in UK is £699 which is very good.I expect the immediate price normally to be around £450-£500 which is fairly good

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
the dynamic contrast is the same as the W4000,just the 37" has 22.000:1 which is easily explained that the panel will be CMO or AUO(S-PVA doesnt come in 37")

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
32W4000 has 33.000:1 contrast!

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
yeah I imagined it anyway no prob

Lazy Bones

Standard Member
Can anyone confirm if the UK/Irsh models will have the MPEG 4 tuners, as it is not listed on the Irish Sony site for these models.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
propably yes but not freesat tuners though which means they will be useless

reslfj

Standard Member
DVB-T2 is a more efficiant modulation method as current DVB-T, but DVB-T2 is still an early draft standard.

Maybe formally a draft standard - but its anything but 'early draft' - it has been inside chip vendors design computers for many months now.
DVB-T2 Fact Sheet June 3. 2008

"The publication of the DVB-T2 draft specification is expected at the end of June 2008, bringing with it efficiencies of 30-50% in its use of spectrum compared to DVB-T." / dvb.org

Lars :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom