Sony KDL-V40A12U: Advice needed!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by manojluhar, Mar 12, 2006.

1. manojluhar

manojluhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a Sony KDL-V40A12U, but had a few queries that I hoped some of you might be able to help with.

Firstly, everytime I have seen the television in a shop it has either been displaying the Sony HDTV demonstration or Freeview. The HDTV has looked brilliant (as you would expect), but I've not been too impressed with the picture on Freeview. Reading some of the comments on here, I understand that Freeview reception might not be a strong point of this set. Thoughts?

I am planning to connect the set to either a Telewest Non-HD cable box, or Sky non-HD box. It would be really good to hear how people have found the picture from these inputs on this set.

Also, in the future, I am thinking about connecting either a Media PC or Mac Mini to the television. Does anyone know for sure whether a PC can be connected using the usual (DVI?) monitor cable that is used for PCs. I would imagine that I might need either a "DVI to HDMI" cable or "DVI to Scart" cable.

Finally, I have seen the television for £1,999.99 at Hifi Confidential and have asked John Lewis in Solihull to price match and to throw in their 5 year warranty. I asked them yesterday and they said it would take them a few days to verify. Has anyone achieved this price match?

I would be grateful for any advice anyone could give, given the size of investment required!!

I'm a big Sony fan, but I was tempted by similarrly sized sets from Panasonic and Pioneer, but I note that they are plasma as opposed to LCD - Do you agree that LCD Sony is therefore better?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    The LCD vs Plasma debate continues to rage! There are fans on both sides...

LCDs often have a resolution edge over plasmas, but plasmas often deliver better viewing angles, black levels, gamma and colourimetry.

If you can compare the same source on both displays next to each other - and with a variety of content (movies, live sport etc.) trust your eyes. You're the one who has to watch it!

In personal opinion terms, the latest LCDs show major improvements over previous models, but to me, the better plasmas are very competitive. I think LCDs are often sharper, but deliver poorer performance in the other areas that influence picture quality.

I'm not buying an HDTV just yet - if I were to buy today it would be a plasma not an LCD. (Though I'd still like to be able to buy a CRT...) I am more sensitive to the defects I perceive in LCD displays than those present in plasmas. Neither are perfect - both are increasingly good.