Sony KDL V3000 Vs. Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80

TheDean

Novice Member
All,

I currently have a Sony V3000 but am very dissapointed with it's black levels. I have recalibrated the screen, even gone into the service menu, to change settings advised on avforums.com, but they are still shockingly bad.

I am now considering the PX80 as a direct replacement. I can return the item within 28 days to John Lewis as I have the box, recipt and all the polystyrene bits (the set is only 5 days old). Please note that the Pro's & con's below are comparing against the V3000.

Pros of PX80:

Better black levels
Better HD & SD performance
Bigger set...an extra 2"
Better sound
better motion handling
100Htz tech

Cons of PX80:

no 1080p
no 1.3 hdmi's
Image retention?
Damage to screen when using Xbox 360?
Poor gaming in general?

Questions:

I would be hooking the PX80 up to my media centre pc using hdmi. Firstly, will the set do 1:1 pixel mapping, and secondly, can you see any other issues which may be brough about while displaying 720p HD .mkv files through this set?

I will also be gaming quite a bit on my 360. Is this recommended? What are the perils? Image retention? Screen 'smearing'? Imput lag?

audiphile76

Questions:

I would be hooking the PX80 up to my media centre pc using hdmi. Firstly, will the set do 1:1 pixel mapping, and secondly, can you see any other issues which may be brough about while displaying 720p HD .mkv files through this set?

I will also be gaming quite a bit on my 360. Is this recommended? What are the perils? Image retention? Screen 'smearing'? Imput lag?
A1: PX80 does 1:1 pixel mapping. Switch <Picture Overscan> = Off
A2: 720p looks great. I havent come across any other issues
A3: Before going full blown with games, follow two things:
One: running period of 200 hours and
Two:Recommended settings.
Check this link for details http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6775673&postcount=1

audiphile76

Actually you can play games, just dont overdo it like play for hours at a stretch. Its fine if in the running-in period, you play for 1-2 hours at a time. When the panel is fresh and if the settings are too bright/contrast too high, probability of retention is higher. The same also goes for letterbox movies ets with panelsides black.

TheDean

Novice Member
Actually you can play games, just dont overdo it like play for hours at a stretch. Its fine if in the running-in period, you play for 1-2 hours at a time. When the panel is fresh and if the settings are too bright/contrast too high, probability of retention is higher. The same also goes for letterbox movies ets with panelsides black.
Yes - I have read that it is best to make the movie full screen or make the panelsides grey. I will probably try speeding up the process using the 'hardcore method' deatils in the link above.

Astraeus

Yes - I have read that it is best to make the movie full screen or make the panelsides grey. I will probably try speeding up the process using the 'hardcore method' deatils in the link above.
I have the same worry as you about this TV (plasmas in general, I suppose). Has anyone used the sped-up method and it is successful?

im in exactly the same position, I think the panny even though it isnt 1080p will give a better picture, but screen rentention/burn problems for a guy who likes to game like me could be a deal breaker. Though I dont sit on the game for more than 2hours normally, it could invariably happen.

Be safe or have a better tv? I guess I'm covered with by my 5 year warranty if I get screen burn in right?

audiphile76

im in exactly the same position, I think the panny even though it isnt 1080p will give a better picture, but screen rentention/burn problems for a guy who likes to game like me could be a deal breaker. Though I dont sit on the game for more than 2hours normally, it could invariably happen.
AFter the initial 200-300 hours of running in of the plasma panels, there is much lower risk of retention aswell. Like said above use the correct settings in the beginning to reduce possibility of image retention. Screen burn is less likely a possibility these days with plasmas. Many owners play around couple of hours of games without any problems. Ofcourse if you leave your plasma on pause mode overnight, it might cause retention. This could happen even on a CRT

Be safe or have a better tv? I guess I'm covered with by my 5 year warranty if I get screen burn in right?
By being safe you end up having a better TV - 42PX80!
Just a note: Image retention is not covered under any warranty and does not entitle for any replacements. So you have to be careful with this.

AFter the initial 200-300 hours of running in of the plasma panels, there is much lower risk of retention aswell. Like said above use the correct settings in the beginning to reduce possibility of image retention. Screen burn is less likely a possibility these days with plasmas. Many owners play around couple of hours of games without any problems. Ofcourse if you leave your plasma on pause mode overnight, it might cause retention. This could happen even on a CRT

By being safe you end up having a better TV - 42PX80!
Just a note: Image retention is not covered under any warranty and does not entitle for any replacements. So you have to be careful with this.
and screen burn in?

w3dal

Distinguished Member
i have an old 7 gen panasonic plasma and at the moment im playing GTA about 3 hours a day and even hit 6 hours over the weekend and had no problems at all with image rentention or screen burn.

never have had a problem even with sport and logs etc etc and had it three years now.

just my two pence guys :D

Dal

-Ad-

Just turn down the contrast and brightness for the first 200 hours (probably leave them there forever as they will probs look better anyway), and just don't leave BBC news 24 or paused games on for many hours over lets say 4 or 5 and you should be fine.

A bit of retention isn't a problem and playing safer to get an inferior tv really isn't particularly mature. I classify LCDs for kid gamers and plasmas for adults, simple as that and make of it what you will.

After a few 100 hours you should be fine doing most things. i haven't had an ounce of retention on my Kuro since I bought it, granted the panasonics seem to be more prone, but don't be childish with it, and it will love you long time :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom