1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDL L32RMX1 - one week on

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by paulockenden, Dec 2, 2004.

1. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've had this TV for a week now. So time for a few comments, observations, and questions.

Overall I really like it. The picture is good (but no-where near CRT quality), the sound is amazing considering the speaker size, and the features are really good.

It took me a while to set it up witha picture that I like. The Live and Movie modes are both a bit crap, but in the Personal mode I was able to get things to a bit more how I like them. I still can't get the contrast right though. Dark colours all seem to merge into one dark muddy mess. Perhaps I'll never get this sorted - I understand that contrast is a problem for LCD TVs, and this one in particular.

Does anyone know about this DRC thing? The manual breezes over it in a manner which makes me think that the person writing it hadn't got a clue! I've tried moving the little dot around the graph but frankly I can't really see any difference! What should I be looking for?

I thought that being able to record onto Memory Stick would be great, and so went out and bought a 1Gb stick. That was a waste of money! The recordings are crap. They might be suitable for viewing on a PDA, but certainly not on the TV itself.

A few things are currently bugging me:

- There's a button to switch the screen off, so should be great for the freeview radio services. Once it doesn't switch the screen off! It just blanks it (apart from a small icon), but leaves the backlight etc. switched on. This is CRAZY!

- Selecting AV sources is a pain. You can to cycle through seven inputs. I wish there was a way to set a "skip" on the sources not currently connected.

But this is all starting to sound a bit negative. Sure, a few things are bugging me, but overall I'm really pleased with my purchase. Especially as I managed to get it for £2300.

P.

2. NeilTh

NeilTh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi - thanks for the brief review, 1 week on

Its the same TV I'm thinking of buying.

Can I ask where you got it for £2300? So far only Sony centre Nottingham have them in stock, £2800 price matched.

Neil

3. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currys were doing it for £2750 (online only). So I used the well known
    discount code to get 5% off that, and then because I paid on Egg I got another 10% off.

It's not often that Currys are the cheapest place to buy something!

P.

4. NeilTh

NeilTh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well known discount code ? pray tell.....

damn - just checked currys - not currently in stock :(

Neil

5. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DCBYAW

P.

6. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know whether any 3rd party remotes have direct control for AV sources? I used to have a Sony telly which had AV1 AV2 and AV3 buttons on the remote, so I'm sure those codes much actually exist...

P.

7. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there not an option in the menu?
    My klvl23m1 has menu -> set up -> AV Preset, then from there you can assign a name to each of the inputs, or choose to skip that input when cycling through them. I'd have thought they'd include such a useful feature on the more expensive models...

8. Unkle.Cornelius

Unkle.Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also interested in either this set or the Philips 32PF9986. I'm not overly worried about future proofing too much (especially as BBC said they are aiming for 2010 - as if!).
    One thing I wanted to ask, the Egg discount, is that for all Egg users? I hadn't seen the 10% saving for Currys customers before - I've seen 5% cashback with Currys.
    Cheers

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sony or the Philips?

The Sony is beautiful but is expensive and the picture isn't as good as the Philips. Save £500 and get the Philips.

That sounds over simple, but to my eyes the Philips is better. Less than 12ms Response and 800:1 Contrast Ratio, PixelPlus2 and the curious, yet effective, Ambilight just swing it more in favour of the Philips. See a 9986 hooked up to a Progressive Scan picture with the PP2 on full song and you'll be sold....

Jimmy

10. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    paul,

the way i've found to improve contrast a little is to turn the backlight all the way down and the brightness up to a level that feels comfortable. i've also got contrast enhancer on and contrast near the top of it's range. i've also reduced sharpness down to about 10.

i'm now very happy with the picture, it's only really dark scenes that prove a problem with contrast.

drc is quite useful. according to the blurb on sony's website (and i might get these the wrong way round please forgive me if i do this) reality (the vertical axis) increases the number of vertical lines in the picture - it doubles the amount of lines and interpolates what the line should look like from the adjacent lines.
    clarity (the horizontal axis) blurs the picture slightly to make it look less harsh - really useful for rubbish sky feeds.

i normally have the drc mode in the top right for sky and the top left for playstation (which doesn't like the blurring very much).

i'd also say that the for DVDs it's just as good as a crt. With a progressive scan picture i'd say it looked better than my old CRT (a 28inch JVC). Although it may not look better than a £2000 CRT from loewe or b&o though i guess.....

i agree with your point about av sources, although it has av switching on scarts 1&2, so (in my case) when i turn on sky or my ps2 the tv changes channel automatically. The av button then remains on AV4 for DVD through component (the AV button remembers the last source when you switch off or to terrestrial) and so no cycling through the AV sources for me.

11. Unkle.Cornelius

Unkle.Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Sony KLV L32M1. I have heard good things about this and it's a grand less than the KDL and about £500 less than the Philips. Does it have the same contrast issues as the KDL?

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Same Wega engine apparently, so same probs. Not the prettiest thing ever...

Jimmy

13. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Damm right. If there was an award for worst looking LCD.....

14. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Component and SCART only.

That was enough to stop me buying one.

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Really? No DVI or HDMI? Not only is it ugly but it'll be obsolete in 24 months. Well done Sony.

Jimmy

16. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The menu is there, but there's no skip function. So you have to cycle through
    all 6 AV inputs (plus TV). It's a bit of a pain!

P.