1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDL-L32MRX1 price drop

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tonester, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now down to around £2600 - almost tempting :) Does anyone have this set? The only doubt I have is with watching fast moving action e.g. football on it. Can anyone comment on this?

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Only seen it running the sky football advert but that looked ok although I'm not an expert. Superb price though. Don't forget, JL stock them so may be worth trying a pricematch for the warranty.

3. Thrutch

Thrutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It gets a 5 star picture rating in one magazine review same as the Philips 32PF9986 but also gets 5 stars for sound. I've seen it playing Monsters INC DVD and I had to have a look behind it to check is was not a new Sony CRT, but then I am Sonyite. Read an article that Sony are releasing new LCD's in Japan as the moment, wonder when they will be out here ?

4. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was waiting for 3 months for the price of this set to drop and now I still don't know what to buy. Sony KLV-L32MRX1 or the new Sharp LC-32GD1 (or even LC-37GD1) or wait a couple months more for the new generation Sony LCD (with LED backlight).
    I'm having a headake. :suicide: But one thing I'm sure. I'm not going to buy a plasma.

5. Thrutch

Thrutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony does not have HMDI or DVI and is 15:9. The Sharp is 16:9 and has DVI, wait another month and read a review of the Sharp and then be even more confused !

6. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you think the Sharp looks ugly? The picture of the Sony is better than any other I've seen, so will it matter too much about DVI/HDMI? Any thoughts?

7. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Sony doesn't have HDMI or DVI but neither does my DVD player (at the moment). Of course it's always better to have one (for the future player, hmm). The picture on Sony is excellent but also on Sharp, which look is not bad at all. I like it's new black TFT screen.

And the difference (if any), you can see it only when two sets stand side by side. Once you bring your set home, you don't see the difference any longer but the picture is still great.

So. Sharp has excellent picture and DVI (future proof) and costs almost the same as Sony with slightly better picture but no HDMI/DVI.

I'd say buying any of these two wouldn't be a mistake.

8. Thrutch

Thrutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would need to get a silver spray can if I bought the Sharp !

9. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i ordered the sony l32mrx1 on monday from totaldigital.biz (pricematched digitaldirect at 2620). when i get it i'll comment on the footie

as an aside, i'm very annoyed with their customer service. they said when i ordered it (by phone) that it would be delivered within 2 days. on thursday i chased and they said it would be another two days, with no explanation for the delay. i am now worried it's out of stock and i could be waiting weeks...

10. Thrutch

Thrutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are you still waiting for it ?

11. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's supposed to be arriving between 1 and 3 this afternoon. i've got my fingers crossed that they keep to their word :lease:

12. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, it's arrived! took me a good couple of hours to set up and i think it needs some more work on the digital tv and my sky link, but i've managed to perfect my ps2 and component-dvd inputs

so what do i think of it? well, firstly (and expectedly) it looks gorgeous in my lounge, (even when it's not turned on :thumbsup: )

(please excuse my lack of sophistication in this review...)

the picture from progressive-scan dvd (jamo dvr50) is the best quality i have available and it is very impressive. i played gladiator and from about 2 meters away the picture looks cinematic - better than i've ever seen down at john lewis or currys, on any type of screen. looking up close the picture still holds up very well and even in the battle scenes in gladiator fast movement is fine.

the picture from an analogue aerial is awful, but fortunately this set has digital inbuilt.
    when you switch to digital terrestrial, the picture is a little grainy (might need to do some fiddling of the picture controls to sort this out - i haven't got round to it yet), but even with the grainyness from my normal watching position (a couple of meters from the screen) the picture looks fine, very similar to my old crt

the picture from sky (via a profigold rgb cable) is pretty much the same as the digital terrestrial (i compared bbc1 to bbc1 on the same program). again i'm very satisfied with the picture quality

from my ps2 the pq via rgb scart is also excellent, although due to the size of the screen and it's resolution, the picture can look a little blocky up close.

13. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just realised i forgot to answer the original question on this topic:
    at the moment i'm watching azebijhan v wales. up close you can see digital interference around the moving players and the ball, but at a decent viewing position a couple of meters from the screen this is not at all noticable. this screen must have a very good response time - there appears to be no problem with the screen keeping up with the action.

14. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is your normal viewing distance? Can you see artifacts while watching sports (football) at this distance?

15. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about 2 meters from the screen. You can only see aritifacts if you're really looking for them - if you just relax and start to enjoy the game then the picture looks as good as a crt (in my opinion anyway). if the camera moves a lot the picture looks a little digital (this happens in games like last nights england match or arsenal games where the camera is at quite a low position and so the camera moves left and right a lot to keep up with the action)

16. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update. I have almost convinced my local Hughes shop to price match the lowest online price (waiting to hear from the 'manager')...well, I have been bugging them by popping into the shop numerous times last couple of months!

A couple of other questions.

1) Where is the VGA adaptor. I've seen the back of the media box in a magazine and can't see the port?

2) Assuming I watch Sky mostly and the occasional DVD should I be worrying too much about lack of HDMI or DVI on this set?

17. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    vga adaptor is on the front :-(
    i don't think i'm qualified to answer your second question. the only concern i have is when sky go hi def, whether or not it will be hdmi only. personally i think that will be suicide for them as so few people will have digital capable tellies.
    dvd through component looks superb, so i'm not too worried about a digital connection at the moment

18. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only worry would be if Sky suddenly introduce an apetising HDMI service. I may be talking nonsense but would you be able to get an HDMI->component convertor?

19. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It would be almost suicidal for $ky to exclusively use HDMI/DVI for their HD content. It would prevent $ky from rolling out HD to the masses quickly, which is not in their nature. Im sure if you had component input you would be OK. I wouldn't even be surprised if the $ky HD boxes will even have scart and RF, just to make sure they could market to all.

BTW. I do not see it being technically possible to convert HDMI to component. HDCP encryption would prevent a digital signal being (legally within the parameters of the HDCP/HDMI licensing) directly converted to analogue unless some sort of scaler was used and this would make it uneconomical.

-Ian

20. LordRCF

LordRCF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I appreciate these posts are a bit old, but I still have a very functional KDL L32MRX1 TV. Well functional until I cut the display display interface cable by mistake. Any idea where I could find a new one? Sony seem to have stop production and I cannot find second hand anywhere...
    Thanks !!