Sony KDL-D3000 or Panasonic TH-37PX70 series.....??

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by bliprogers, Sep 12, 2007.

1. bliprogers

bliprogers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

I'm annoying myself as I'm changing my mind all the time, and i know i'm going to feel the wrath of the Plasma v LCD TV gang (as its been said a million times!!), but swaying between these 2 TV's..... (posted on Plasma and LCD boards...)

Situation is;

• Mainly SD (freeview through the integrated on the TV or through a DVD recorder)
    • A large living room so a good viewing distance from TV
    • for me, mainly sport, for mrs, mainly Eastenders!!!
    • Not concerned about the cost (although there are some good deals on for the sony at present)
    • Not going to be wall mounted so weight not a problem

Please,please help, as have the money, the permission from the wife and need a quality TV (plasma or LCD) for my new living room!!!

Many Thanks

Bliprogers

2. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is exactly the same choice I had.

You really have to see them in the flesh, outputting a variety of sources, and look at the pros and cons. Go to John Lewis and pester them for various demonstrations.

In the end I went for the Sony, but it was for quite a practical reason - my living room is very bright, and I noticed that Plasma screens were really very reflective. In other circumstances I might just as easily have gone for the Panasonic, as it seems to be a superb TV, but this fact ruled them out for me. Initially I preferred the image on a plasma, especially on SD stuff, as it seems to be softer, and somehow more CRT like. However, I'm very happy with the Sony - once you tweak it to your satisfaction it gives very good SD results (see my pix in the owners thread if you haven't already).

Basically I don't think you would go wrong with either, but do take the practical things into consideration.

3. jglaister

jglaister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the Panny but I got my 40D3000 yesterday and I'm over the moon with it. Like yourself I mostly watch sport (and still in SD at the moment) and I was concerned about the quality of fast moving images. The picture quality is great, I'm watching the Twenty 20 right now and the image is much smoother than I was expecting.
    The 40D3000 is available at good prices right now too.

Jeff

4. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833

Agree with Tony, i dont think you'll gl wrong with either. I went for the Panny as 37" was the biggest set i could fit in my corner!!! and as sony only do a 32" and 40" it made my mind up for me.

Yes, the Panny is reflective, but i find it no more so than my old Sony CRT.

I spent months researching 37-40 lcd's and plasmas with the main intention of football (sd and hd) and non sport SD channels through SKY to replace my Sony 32" 100hz CRT and i plumped for the Panasonic TH37-PX70. Currently £750 from Empire Direct with the pedestal stand. (price match with John Lewis for the free 5 year warranty though!)

I sit about 8-9ft away and i couldn't be more happier with the set. Yes, i was sceptical about moving to lcd or plasma and the SD being no good. But the PX70 works like a dream.

If you do fancy going bigger, the 42" version is only £100 more.

If you get the chance, get SKY-HD, the football looks UNBELIEVABLE!

I'd suggest finding your nearest Panasonic shop or alterntive high quality store and give the PX70 a demo. You won't be disappointed. Ideally you'll find a store with both the Sony and the Panny and make your mind up for you.