Sony KDL-D3000 (LCD) or Panasonic TH-37PX70 (plasma) series.....??

bliprogers

Standard Member
Right,

I'm annoying myself as I'm changing my mind all the time, and i know i'm going to feel the wrath of the Plasma v LCD TV gang (as its been said a million times!!), but swaying between these 2 TV's..... (posted on Plasma and LCD boards...)

Situation is;

• Mainly SD (freeview through the integrated on the TV or through a DVD recorder)
  • A large living room so a good viewing distance from TV
  • for me, mainly sport, for mrs, mainly Eastenders!!!
  • Not concerned about the cost (although there are some good deals on for the sony at present)
  • Not going to be wall mounted so weight not a problem

Please,please help, as have the money, the permission from the wife and need a quality TV (plasma or LCD) for my new living room!!!

Many Thanks

Bliprogers

unclebobuk

Standard Member
Hi,
if its any help, I was looking at the very same LCD as well, then moved from that to the TH-42PZ70 (the 42" replacement for the TH-42PX70), but then realised a 42" was too big for me. In the end the 37" Panny plasma just looks so much better than the Sony on an SD source IMHO. I'm sure there'll be a PZ variant at some point although I'm quite happy with the picture on the PX version. I'm just waiting on a price match from JL against Empire Direct. (£749 inc pedestal stand). If you watch a lot of SD then I think the Panny is the way to go and if a 42" isnt too big for you it would be worth looking at the TH-42PZ70. Plenty of threads on here for that set...

Hope that helps.

Bob.

bliprogers

Standard Member
Cheers for that....

May have a look about but its mainly SD at the moment so looks a good option.

As for 42 over 37, mate has same house and think 42 may be too big(and my mrs isn't happy with "all that tv!!" so may look at the 37 inch

PS have you got a link to that offer on empire direct as may also PM with JL....

C

colsa

ive just sent a 42" back, too big, gonna go for this 37px70, heard lots of good things, btw whats sd mean ?

bliprogers

Standard Member
standard definition as opposedto HD (high definition)

I asked the same question last week, and after some abuse from the more experienced on here, someone helped.

My assumption is that this is the signal you get from Freeview etc. As i have no HD (from sky) at the mo,my priority is SD but will use dvd's with will need upscaling and also HD in the future!!

So after looking at the SonyD3000 LCD for ages, i may change to this panny plasma!!! Need to find some good dealsnow and a DVD recorder (with freeview) to go with it!!!

unclebobuk

Standard Member
The link for the 37PX70 at empire direct is :-

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/?modelcode=PAN-TH37PX70PED

This is the one which _includes_ the pedestal stand. In order for a pricematch with JL the set must be on display at the store with the price displayed. I can confirm the 37PX70 is on display with that price at the Loughbororgh Branch of ED, as I went to see it the other day. Best thing is to call the store direct and confirm B4 you call JL for the pricematch.

Hope that helps.

Bob.

bliprogers

Standard Member
Cheers for this..... keepmeposted how you do with the Price match!!!!

Do you know a good DVD recorder to go with this TV???

JeffD

Situation is;

• Mainly SD (freeview through the integrated on the TV or through a DVD recorder)
  • A large living room so a good viewing distance from TV
  • for me, mainly sport, for mrs, mainly Eastenders!!!
  • Not concerned about the cost (although there are some good deals on for the sony at present)
  • Not going to be wall mounted so weight not a problem
No contest if SD and sport makes up the majority viewing material, the Panasonic will be better than any LCD.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom