• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sony KDL-50W829B broke

LuvCVs

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, could not find a general help section.

I have the above TV, but it's gone bad

The external PSU makes a crackling sound but gets louder when connected to the TV.

When the TV comes on, seems like most of the backlight comes on as there is light on screen but I can see no display. Can't hear any audio either. Tested the psu with no load and its giving out 19.4v (rated at 19.5v).

Has this model got a known fault? Or in your best opinion what do you think it could be?

I removed all the internal electrical parts except the screen leads of course and the psu still made a loud crackling sound.

I'm thinking its the PSU under load possibly not putting out the correct, or o we volting? As if it was only the T-con board idI hear sound? I was slowly pushing the AV on the remote while my cd player was connected to it via a hdmi converter adapter and then connected to the rear scary via a adapter, but nothing.

Someone please help...

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I suspect you need to replace the psu just to rule it out.
It shouldn't be making any noise off-load so that should tell you something.

LuvCVs

I suspect you need to replace the psu just to rule it out.
It shouldn't be making any noise off-load so that should tell you something.

Hi, it's been a while now, but just got back to the TV again.

I bought a new AC adapter, no change, bought a power board, no change, so last thing is a different main board should do the trick? As, surely if the t-con board was faulty the TV should still turn on and stay on? As I think these sets do not have the auto off safety feature if the t-con board is faulty.

Can get these parts still but if it's just down to the t-con board then it's only a £20 fix, if not, £40 for another mainboard.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom