Sony KDL 46Z4500 buzzing noise?

E

ejosepha

I have just recently purchased this tv. Love the picture and sound is ok. When I turn the set on I can hear a slight buzzing noise coming from the rear of the set. I have connected to the tv set two systems. One is through hdmi 1 a tv decoder coming from my internet provider. hdmi 2 is my WD Live Media Player, I watch files of films, series, etc. When watching the television channels through the internet decoder the buzzing noise is rather louder, such that when there is a quiet moment in a program, I can hear the slight buzzing from 8 feet away. It's not overwhelming, but having switched from an old sony 32 inch set, I am not used to this. When watching HD movies and series through the second hdmi 2, the humming turns more highpitched and much less noticeable.
The buzzing sound can be heard as well when I turn off both sources. Is this normal for this model set, or an existing problem and is there something that I can do to diminish it. I know this is a large set with plenty of activity going on through processing etc., but before I call Sony to try to ameliorate this, maybe someone either has some pointers. For example, when I turned off the light sensor the noise didn't disappear, but the pitch changed.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think perhaps the buzzing noise increases as tv warms up. Of course, when volume is sufficiently high, can't hear it, over when I use connected external receiver and speakers. but I did disconnect everything to test if I could trace what might contribute to this. I even changed hdmi connections to see if it could be a connection problem, but the noise or buzzing followed the internet decoder connection regardless of which hdmi connection I used.

After monitoring this, I do notice that the "buzz" varies greatly while watching tv through internet decoder. It sometimes disappears, then returns, then increases, then decreases. It probably is a function of the incoming source. The fact that from time to time it disappears, is strange. But I had a similar problem years ago with a panasonic lcd. They "repaired" it and still the buzzing sound came and went.
If it sometimes disappears completely I wonder if it would be possible for something to be done to make it disappear completely. If not, would like to know what it is and if anything can be done.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom