Sony KDL 46x2000 - am I wasting my money ?

A

Audiman1

Currently have a Tosh 32zp18 (crt), and thinking of getting the above set,
Viewing will consist of the following (in this order)

75% spent watching BBC1, ITV, CH4 (probably with a new aerial - so digital I guess).
20% DVD (on a new DVD player - yet to be decided but about £250ish, with HDMI out)
5% XBox 360 gaming.

Am I wasting my money considering the viewing I will be doing ? the most important aspect to me is picture quality. Forgive my ignorance but I find this whole AV thing very confusing.
Any constructive comments are really welcome.

Thanks

Ian

Bat-man

I can only speak from my experience.
This is the best TV I have ever owned. I watch probably 95% Freeview and the rest DVD.
Now I have got all the settings as I like the Freeview can be very good indeed (not so much the cheapo shopping and quiz channels though).
Watching 'Without a Trace' the other evening I nearly missed the programme's plot as I was so fascinated by the picture quality.

midknight

Distinguished Member
Awesome set - I watch SKY HD and HD DVD's on it and it the best pq quality I have ever seen.

Best TV I have ever owned:smashin:

chopkins

Standard Member
Bought one before Xmas along with Sky HD to watch Hogfather. Bargain price of £2575 from Sound & Vision on 'net.
Fabulous quality- only problem is my Pioneer Home Cinema system only outputs DVD via s-Video. Now whats next to buy ? Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

smjxm09

Novice Member
Just a shame that the SD picture is rubbish and that so many people who have bought the TV are in denial.

Naim.F.C

Novice Member
Just a shame that the SD picture is rubbish and that so many people who have bought the TV are in denial.
Well according to nearly every review it does excellent SD picture.
Though I've never seen one of these set's running SD myself.

silas184

I am a W series owner, but in the shops the X series beat the W for quality every time. In my opinion if you are prepared to change the settings from the default you are able to get a really good SD picture PROVIDING you are watching a channel that has reasonable bandwidth. Garbage in = Garbage out. Don't expect to have top quality pics if you are watching shopping channels etc, etc.

Bat-man

I'm certainly not 'in denial'. I stand by what I say. :)

rogerft

great tv BUT not good value. With the new fabs coming on stream the same price drops are going to happen to the 46" & 50" screens that we have seen with the 42" and below. LED backlights will also help lower prices.

My advice is:

if you are loaded, buy it & enjoy it, why wait, life is too short!

if money is tight don't waste it on this TV as it is overpriced.

S

stevie_velvet

....if you are sold on it, then wait till february when the X2500 series is introduced into the EU & prices will start to take a fall

X-dosn't need to upscale a image to 1080p like the W
------------

ms. stevie

rogerft

If you are waiting go for a 100Hz model Sony and most others are starting to put this into their new sets.

chrise

Novice Member
....if you are sold on it, then wait till february when the X2500 series is introduced into the EU & prices will start to take a fall

X-dosn't need to upscale a image to 1080p like the W
------------

ms. stevie
Please explain your second comment as it makes no sense?

The only difference between the x and w is the version of the picture engine and both have to display a 1920 X 1080 progressive picture. The x has a better upscaling engine (if users don't turn those bits off) but it still upscales - it has to to display the picture

If you are waiting go for a 100Hz model Sony and most others are starting to put this into their new sets.
Where have you seen this as it does not seem to be in threads about the potential x2500 series sets and the 3000 series specs are as yet unannounced.

Fabulous quality- only problem is my Pioneer Home Cinema system only outputs DVD via s-Video. Now whats next to buy ? Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
For consistently high quality, HD DVD.

Regarding W vs X Series. A lot of people reported seeing the infamous halo problem on the X Series. It's not on the Ws.

But, the Ws have a video processing quirk or two of their own. My honest advice if you want as best a picture you can possibly get? Buy a W-Series (and keep exchanging it until you get one without the cloudy backlight problem) and then save up for an external video processor. That's what I'm doing (gonna be a looooong wait :eek: )

W

willyboy187

which

i was looking at the sonykdl46 200 w

don t kno why but it looking nice

any one any tips on these??

which is the lastest range??

i want to buy the best sony that will fit in my corner help

which is the lastest range??
The new V2500 range is the newest one but I think the W Series is the best from a price/performance standpoint.

chrise

Novice Member
sonykdl46 2000 w

so thats a really good choice of tv??
I agree with Lyris that the w series offers the best performance against cost in the Sony range if you get a good one.

does it have that motion blur my m8 was going on about??
All LCDs still have a little blur, so it does, yeah.

I would say that it's the best LCD HDTV out there at the moment.

W

willyboy187

All LCDs still have a little blur, so it does, yeah.

I would say that it's the best LCD HDTV out there at the moment.
is it really noticeable

does it spoil viewing?

and how good is this tv as it look brillant

i know its a lot of money 2k but i want the best :)

W

willyboy187

well i went for some demos an the guy in the shop took me straight past both of the w an the x an gave me a half hour demo on the

jvc 46dz7

an said it will blow all sonys away 10 times better for tv online gaming moives etc//....

W

willyboy187

well i went for some demos an the guy in the shop took me straight past both of the w an the x an gave me a half hour demo on the

jvc 46dz7

an said it will blow all sonys away 10 times better for tv online gaming moives etc//....

any one else think that the jvc 46 inch tv could poss blow the sonys x an w series away??

reaper12

Audiman, from the sounds of what you are getting the TV for , yes it would be a waste of money. Get a decent plasma, it is much better for SD viewing, and since you are not going to be gaming much or hooking it up to a Hd player then a good plasma will really knock your socks off picture wise for much cheaper than the Sony X series.

batts09

Novice Member
I'm imminently going to go for one of these. Is anyone clear on whether these alleged price drops will really come to fruition??