Sony KDL-46W905A JBL SB400 Sound Bar issue

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by alfie1, Feb 25, 2014.

1. alfie1

alfie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has any one connected jbl sb400 to a sony W905 tv as I am unable to select/save 'Use audio system for audio output' under bravia sync menu when selecting the hdmi the virgin box is connected to.

i have jbl sb400 sound bar connected to hdmi arc and viginmedia cable box connected to hdmi 3 on the sony tv.

i have also tried the virgin box to hdmi 4 and hdmi 2/mhl. with the vigin box not connected, tried 4 different hdmi cables of different brands.

when i select sync menu and select use audio system for audio output i get the message "audio system active" message on the tv then "tv speakers active due to audio communication failure"

under inputs when i select inputs TV and then the bravia sync menu from the remote control and then choose use audio system for audio output it works fine. i can then switch to the hdmi the viginbox or the sound bar is connected to and everything works as it should do and can controll volume via sony remote. but as soon as i turn the tv off and on again the tv (when watching viginmedia via hdmi) reverts back to tv speakers instead of the audio system.

if i select inputs TV and then the bravia sync menu from the remote control and then choose use audio system for audio output and then turn the tv off and on again then the tv does stay to audio system and not revert back to tv speakers.

2. alfie1

alfie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    issue resolved, was a faulty soundbar. jbl sb400 now available for £225 at richer sounds

3. franksmith123

franksmith123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having the exact same issue!! But the device works fine. The TV just refuses to assign the JBL as an audio system. So everytime I adjust the JBL via the Sony remote it controls the TV speakers as well. I just want to disable the Sony TV speakers bacially because it refuses to stick with the Audio System.

4. franksmith123

franksmith123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry was sound being passed through via the TV to the Sound bar, in your case ??

I have sound being passed through and all the controls etc work fine. I just want to disable to TV speakers or override them via the SB400

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  5. alfie1

alfie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had faulty sb400. replacement works fine with hdmi and optical. when I spoke to jbl they said the hdmi cable needs to be v1.4.

where did you buy sb400 from? richersounds? as I got them to connect the sb400 to the tv I have and issue was with faultly bar. they also tried the soundbar on 2 other TV's and various hdmi cables. they said it seems a hdmi handshake issue and gave a replacement.

replacement works fine. (when choosing use audio system for audio output under bravia sync it does now remember it and disables tv speakers)