Sony KDL-46W2000

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by lovegadgets, Sep 12, 2007.

1. lovegadgets

lovegadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have thinking of getting a Sony W-series 46" LCD TV while the price has now dropped to a reasonable price (£1400). I just wonder if this TV is good and future proof.

I am also getting the Sky HD+ and BluRay. The reason I am interested in the SOny is its 1080p capability which should work well with the Sky (1080i) and BluRay (1080p).

Some said a 780p TV is sufficient because you can hardly notice the difference unless sitting very close to it (e.g. 6') which is not in my case (9'). Am I concentrated too much on the technology cos they are just marketing stuff. What I don't want to get a LCD TV now and found out they are outdated in a couple years time.

Again, advice please on LCD vs Plasma, make, size, and model if poosible.

Regards
    Charles

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    The W2000 is an old model(but one of the best).In a month new 1080p sets from sony arriving!!!

3. GunRunner

GunRunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes and of course you will still be using the same set of eyes you was born with! Unless you are going to get a new pair of these.

Seriously though. Whatever TV you purchase within 6 months or so there will be another one on the market from the same manufacturer that you will be advised to wait for. I wanted a 42" for my main bedroom, so thought I would but the Panasonic upstairs and put a slightly larger LCD downstairs in the lounge. I spent weeks looking at different TVs and viewed so many that my head hurt. I eventually kept going back to Sony and then started looking at the 46 X series over the 46 W series. In the final analysis, I found that the X series over enhanced the picture and in my opinion detracted from it. I checked at 3 different Sony shops and each time set the X and W series to my viewing criteria. In every case, the W series ALWAYS gave me the more natural picture that I required. Also in every case the top sales guy of the day in each store agreed that the W series was the best natural picture. I would be very surprised if there was going to be an improvement with the next generation of Sony's that would make you wish you had waited. The W2000 is being sold at a very good price now.

4. lovegadgets

lovegadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi GunRunner,

That's also my thoughts too - I have also posted a similar thread in the main W2000 thread.

I am undecided at this stage either to purchase now a W46 and should I wait until the newer models are out. Unaware of any major enhancements and newer features. Looks like that the newer models won't be cheap either £2-3k for a 46"?

Regards
    Charles

5. lovegadgets

lovegadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just wonder if there are other 46 HD LCDs which are as good (or better) than the Sony 46W for the similar price.

6. lovegadgets

lovegadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The current price for the Sony 46W2000 is about £1400 and the indicative price for the newer 46W3000 and 46X3000 is about £1900 and £2500 respectively.

My question is should I wait for the newer 46W3000 and pay £500 more. I am not sure if the extra £500 (or £1100 for the X) really worth it because I have no idea what are the major and significant changes made to the w3000.

Please can someone help.

Regards
    Charles

7. Wally West

Wally West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    I'm another AV Forum newbie in the same position. Currently own a 32" Hitachi plasma and a 28" Panasonic CRT - very happy with the pictures from both for my current SD sources. Finally decided about a month ago that I would like a larger TV and have plans to get Sky HD and a PS3 for gaming. Given that gaming will be on the cards, I felt that LCD would be better suit my purposes, so set about looking for a large(ish) LCD set and for advice on AV Forum. Thought I had narrowed it down to Sony (W2000)and Samsung(M86/87) and possibly Toshiba(X series) (excluded other brands despite good reviews around for sets from Sharp and Philips due to previous experience of their products and my own resultant bias). However, came to AV forums for advice and find that in general the voice of the experienced suggests that I should wait for the new sets from Sony, Samsung, Toshiba etc because these sets will have various picture enhancing features such as 24fps true cinema view, 100Hz scanning, 10-bit colour.

The problem for me is that people are advising me to wait for the release of these new sets that they themselves have yet to see in action. Most people have only information gleaned from websites quoting (sometimes inaccurately) the various specs for the new sets). I also question whether the supposed improvement in picture quality will be that significant. Admittedly, LCD pictures have come a long way in the 3 years or so since I bought my plasma but I have to say looking at the sets on display in my local Sony shop, I was still aware that if i looked carefully I could still make out some motion blur, and not in fast football scenes. This is not something that currently bothers me with my current tvs. (I do understand how 1080 46" sets are not expected to display SD very well and am looking at them for their HD performance)

Another thing nobody seems to know the answer to is whether the price of the current crop of tvs will decrease further once the new sets are out or will they simply disappear from the shelves as the shops push the newer, bigger, shinier sets.

I have to say that I'm very tempted to go and buy a W2000. Firstly, it's near the end of its shelf life and therefore can be had for a bit of a bargain (free DVD/HD recorder and 5 year warranty in Sony Centre) (but possibly even less next month?). Secondly, I can actually see its performance in store now. Thirdly, it will be an improvement (in size terms) over my current plasma. Finally, I'm no AV expert or connoisuer and don't spend all day in front of the telly (too long hours working) so I 'm not sure whether or not some of the finer points to LCD picture appreciation would be lost on me.

Right, that's my opinion as a newbie. I amfully prepared to be shot down by the more experienced form users.:rolleyes:

8. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Complett is taking pre orders for the 46W3000 for 1750£.Usually it over prices so it wont be a surprise if the price come down 100£ in a month!!Also what about the 46V3000?Better than the W2000 too
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=339590

9. lovegadgets

lovegadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link. I have found the specs of the new V,W X3000s from this site. From what it described, I can really tell if the V3000 is better spec than the W2000. Please can you provide some info on which areas the newer 3000 series are better than the current 2000 series.

The 46v3000 is about the same price as the 46W2000 but what are the differences please. A summary of the newer V,W and X 3000 vs the current 2000 will be much appreciated. Soory for all these questions but I am just a newbie into the HD world.

Regards
    Charles

10. lovegadgets

lovegadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Correction ...

I did mean 'I can't really tell ...' not 'I can tell ...'.

Regards
    Charles

11. Wally West

Wally West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Chris,
    Better in what way? The spec on Komplett's site give nothing away. Do you own one or have you actually seen it in the flesh next to a W2000? I just find it hard to believe you can make a judgment call if you've only seen a small picture of it on the net and looked at a basic spec list. Apologies of course if you do own both sets...............

12. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    No I dont own,simply I suppose that because the specs are CLEARLY BETTER tha the W2000's.
    The dynamic contrast is doubled(16.000:1 vs 8.000:1)
    It has the must which is the 24p compatibility which W2000 does not have
    The better sound(S-Force fron surround)
    The semi gloss design which adds a little difference(but and a little reflect)
    Also it has more HDMI inputs(3 vs 2)

Also the W3000 adds to the W3000
    10bit panel
    Bravia engine ex
    Brushed metal design

From the specs the new 3000 clearly beat the W2000.The only thing is to confirm it seeing them in the flesh....

13. shyewei

shyewei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The other advantage of waiting for the W3000 series is that the remaining stocks of the W2000 must drop even further :devil: