Sony KDL-42W705B Wall Mount - change or keep?

pablito69

Novice Member
My long serving Sony KDL-42W705B is being replaced. The wall mount is securely attached and has no problems. However the named Sony model only weighs 11.7kg and the replacement TV (which fits the wall mount) weights 23.5kg. Is there any way to find out what whether the Sony wall mount needs replacing or will be strong enough to hold the new TV? (other than hoping for the best... )

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
My long serving Sony KDL-42W705B is being replaced. The wall mount is securely attached and has no problems. However the named Sony model only weighs 11.7kg and the replacement TV (which fits the wall mount) weights 23.5kg. Is there any way to find out what whether the Sony wall mount needs replacing or will be strong enough to hold the new TV? (other than hoping for the best... )

Do you have an original wall mount from Sony? I'm not absolutely certain, but KDL-42W705B did not have a wall mount included in the set. Therefore - you probably own a wall mount that is a little bit more "general" and could be used for certain types of TVs. If the weight of your new TV was 1 or 2 kgs more, I would not hesitate to recommend you not to replace your wall mount, but in this case - the weight is more than doubled. I think the best solution for you would be to figure out what type of wall mount you own and check it. Maybe you still have an old TV box and wall mount box somewhere nearby?

pablito69

Novice Member
The Sony wall bracket was included with the TV. It appears that the same bracket was used for Sony TVs up to 50" in the same series, but even the larger ones still only weighed 14.8 kg. I think the sensible thing to do is for me to get a new wall bracket... thanks for the help.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
The Sony wall bracket was included with the TV. It appears that the same bracket was used for Sony TVs up to 50" in the same series, but even the larger ones still only weighed 14.8 kg. I think the sensible thing to do is for me to get a new wall bracket... thanks for the help.

Well, if that is the case, then I absolutely recommend you to buy a new wall bracket.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom