Sony KDL - 40X2000 image burn?

L

LouiseK

Hello. Sorry if this is the wrong section, so many forums and i didn't know what most of them were :p

Anyway, I have a KDL-40X2000 TV and i have Sky HD too, and i'm in the habit of pausing my programmes... sometimes for hours if i forget about them.

My fella has recently started getting in a strop about it, saying that it will burn an image onto the screen a little at a time until it is always visible.

Its causing friction because to put it bluntly i think hes just after having a whinge, so if someone can educate me either way i'd appreciate it :)

Thanks

Hello. Sorry if this is the wrong section, so many forums and i didn't know what most of them were :p

Anyway, I have a KDL-40X2000 TV and i have Sky HD too, and i'm in the habit of pausing my programmes... sometimes for hours if i forget about them.

My fella has recently started getting in a strop about it, saying that it will burn an image onto the screen a little at a time until it is always visible.

Its causing friction because to put it bluntly i think hes just after having a whinge, so if someone can educate me either way i'd appreciate it :)

Thanks

From what I can understand, you will only get image burn from computer type images, such as the sky menu or something similar - and this is generally only appropriate to Plasmas and not LCDs...

Thanks for the reply.

What he refers to specifically is the pause icon... like when i press pause there is a big white pause icon that appears in the bottom corner of the screen.

Would that fall into the same kinda thing as the computer images?

So, from your understanding not even computer type images should be burned onto a LCD?

sami is right,you wont get screen burn on a lcd.ive sold plasma and lcd,s for years and never had an lcd get screen burn but seen it on plasma tv,s many times.

Unlike the case with a CRT or a plasma, where the light is made by electrons hitting and illuminating phosphor dots, an LCD screen is basically just a fluorescent light shining through a liquid crystal, a polarising filter and a coloured filter (red, green or blue). Plasma and CRT phosphor burn occurs because the phosphor output reduces with age due to physical changes caused by heating by the electron beam. So theoretically, an LCD should not suffer from image retention at all.

However... I could show you several LCD computer screens at my work that clearly show outlines of previous screen images. I'm not sure what the mechanism is, but it has been suggested that the liquid crystal which has been forced into one polarisation for a long time is not falling back into a fully relaxed state when the power is removed, or that the dyes in the filters are ageing at different rates depending on how much light is passing through them.

I have never seen an LCD television suffering from this, but I can't rule out the possibility that it might happen. If you're going to pause the video for hours on end, you would be much better off turning the screen off at the same time. It'll save electricity and lengthen the life of your TV (the fluorescent tubes only have a limited life) if nothing else.

Steve

er...you dont get screen burn on a LCD? you are quite welcome to drop in and have a look at the many LCD screens we have here with screen burn.

sami is right,you wont get screen burn on a lcd.ive sold plasma and lcd,s for years and never had an lcd get screen burn but seen it on plasma tv,s many times.

Plasmas get it much more easily - but I've seen a number of LCDs on laptops and PC desktops with quite noticable burn-in where they've been displaying the same window layout continuously for a long period of time.

ISTR others have posted that some LCD burn-in can be reversed by "exercising" the screen by feeding it with moving picture information (i.e. giving the liquid crystals lots of continual rotation) but have not tried this myself on a laptop I have (c.1998 vintage and no longer in use) with a burned in Internet Explorer logo top right (along with a close, minimise and maximise icon)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom