• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony KDL-40W605 or KDL-42W705

fozziebear39

Hi
Stuck deciding between these 2 TV's. Big investment for me for main TV. I have read through the pages of the owners threads 200 pages lol. Both have the same inputs 4 HDMI's etc.

The 40W605 has got great reviews and I gather is backlit so doesn't suffer the edgelit clouding of the W705. The W705 has less input lag but the W605 is not bad, would be used for PS3/4 and PC gaming. Extra 2 inches? I would have to get the W605 from Currys :( John Lewis aren't stocking it. Would get the 5 years Warranty from John Lewis with the W705 but the TV costs £130 more.

Looks like some offers from Sony on the W705 are coming in, 1 in 5 chance to win a PS3 maybe free sound bar?

I have seen the W605 in Curry's and thought the picture looked great and would be happy with that. Is this backlit/edgelit an issue? The edgelit is more expensive? Is the W705 worth the extra. I am screen OCD (well with computer monitors and dead pixels!)

megadeth uk

Hi
Stuck deciding between these 2 TV's. Big investment for me for main TV. I have read through the pages of the owners threads 200 pages lol. Both have the same inputs 4 HDMI's etc.

The 40W605 has got great reviews and I gather is backlit so doesn't suffer the edgelit clouding of the W705. The W705 has less input lag but the W605 is not bad, would be used for PS3/4 and PC gaming. Extra 2 inches? I would have to get the W605 from Currys :( John Lewis aren't stocking it. Would get the 5 years Warranty from John Lewis with the W705 but the TV costs £130 more.

Looks like some offers from Sony on the W705 are coming in, 1 in 5 chance to win a PS3 maybe free sound bar?

I have seen the W605 in Curry's and thought the picture looked great and would be happy with that. Is this backlit/edgelit an issue? The edgelit is more expensive? Is the W705 worth the extra. I am screen OCD (well with computer monitors and dead pixels!)

Hi mate, the 605 is backlit, the 705 edge lit, as regards the input lag it is still pretty low on the 605 so whether you'd notice the difference is debatable. Both models could have a dead pixel or two but no worse than any competing models, maybe better looking at a retailer who offers a more comprehensive returns policy than currys, they usually don't accept returns based on that unless they have more than 3 or 4. The 605 is cheaper and I think will suit your needs perfectly after reading some reviews, there is one on the hdtv test site which is highly favourable, they also mention the perfect uniformity. Some w7 owners have reported banding issues the same as the w6 last year. I think the free soundbar is only available on the w8 and up so it wouldn't make much difference to you, best double check though, also if you go for the 605, with the money you save you could buy a soundbar. I've just looked now richer sounds, John Lewis don't seem to stock the 605 as of yet, you would probably have to buy from currys then, you could always ask to inspect the tv before buying, whether they will or not is another thing. Richer sounds are selling the w7 for 529.99 with a 5 yr warranty at the moment, also tesco direct have them up at 549.99 and they also have a promotion with a five year warranty until the 15 June. :)

Last edited:

jlost

I was under the impression that the 605 is a Currys / PCworld exclusive (for the time being anyway) - not available anywhere else in UK. I bought one a few days ago, no dead pixels, awesome PQ - haven't bothered to calibrate, 'Auto' does the job for me.

megadeth uk

I was under the impression that the 605 is a Currys / PCworld exclusive (for the time being anyway) - not available anywhere else in UK. I bought one a few days ago, no dead pixels, awesome PQ - haven't bothered to calibrate, 'Auto' does the job for me.
It could be an exclusive although I've not seen any mention in the reviews it's a DSG exclusive, pleased you like yours mate, picture quality wise it looks a bit of a bargain after reading the reviews. Trusted reviews have give it a 9/10 too so that's 2 favourable reviews.:)

fozziebear39

Thank you very much megadeth and jlost :) As you said, I think you are right jlost the 605 is only Currys/PC World at the moment, I emailed John Lewis and they are not stocking it.

fozziebear39

If I could get the 605 from anywhere but Currys :laugh: but I still think it is ahead. The input lag won't be a deal breaker as I am only a casual gamer and too old, my reflex's are too slow anyway! Backlit is great as I don't need the slimmer bezel anyway.

fozziebear39

More confusion lol, John Lewis have just agreed a price match at £529 for the W705, so £50 extra over the W605 for 5 year warranty, customer service and extra 2" ;)

megadeth uk

More confusion lol, John Lewis have just agreed a price match at £529 for the W705, so £50 extra over the W605 for 5 year warranty, customer service and extra 2" ;)
Sounds like a bargain mate, good returns policy too if your not happy, sounds the safer bet to me although either of them would of been ideal for you needs by the sound of it, make sure it's the black one at John Lewis as they have silver ones too, unless you like silver ;)

Aryn86

Anyone tested these two out? interested in both leaning towards the 605 but wouldn't mind the bigger screen of the 705

MadJens

Standard Member
What are your experiences if anyone purchased them? I'm thinking about buying one of them but can't decide.... :) Either the 48W605 or a 42W705. Very difficult to decide.

Input lag is actually quite important to me. I had a Panasonic LCD from 2008 that had 8ms input lag (is that even possible?). Anyway, i know that the 705 has better input (the best actually) but is the difference to the 605 really noticeable?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom