sony kdl-40w5500 question?

si7

Standard Member
hi i have a sony kdl-40w5500 and whanted to know when the tv is on digital tv and you press info it comes up with 576/25hz but when turned to cable it says feature is only available on digital is there any way to find out what the picture and hz runs at when on cable...thanks..
ps anyone know how to get the 25hz any higher it just stays the same all the time .. thanks

Colin Taylor

Standard Member
I have the 37W550 so it's pretty much the same.

The 576/25hz just refers to the fact that PAL transmissions are 576i which means each second there are 50 interlaced fields which is equivilent to 25 full frames.

Frame rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for cable. When I change the input source (to cable), the new mode is displayed in the top left of the screen for a couple of seconds, i.e. 1080i. Do you not see this?

Unlike you, I can also press the info button and get the same information even though according to the manual it shouldn't do anything. I think maybe they added some extra functionality in the later firmware releases.

si7

Standard Member
Hi i do see th 1080i in the top left hand courner but how can this be right when its not in hd you can turn over cable chanels and still see the same 1080i but surely you should only see this on hd channel...

Colin Taylor

Standard Member
Firstly I need to correct a mistake I made earlier.

As far as I can tell Freeview is broadcast in 576/25p not 576/50i as I said. Sorry about the confusion.

The 1080i message means that you have configured your cable box to output 1080i. So it will do this on all cable channels irrespective of the "true" resolution of the broadcast.

So if the program is in SD (as most are) it is the cable box that is "upscaling" the picture to 1080.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom