Sony KDL-40W connection probs!

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Dogspods, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Dogspods

Dogspods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm truly stuck and in need of some advice.

Trying to connect a JVC XV-D701 DVD player to the Sony but when trying to watch DVD's all I get is either a blank screen or a black and white picture.

Whats even worse is that if I use a cheap and cheerful scart connection - Xbox 360 is using the RGB - I get both picture and sound. BUT use an IXOS scart to s-video, or IXOS scart to scart I get either a B+W image or no image at all??

Am I missing something really obvious? I know I should upgrade the DVD player to something newer with HDMI connection but I'd prefer to wait until the Blue-Ray/HD DVD contest is sorted.

2. Rajveer

Rajveer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not 100% sure but have you set the DVD player to use RGB?

3. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I think you are confusing the inputs.

The w series has two scart sockets (aV1 AND 2) both of which are RGB capable but not s video capable hence the balck and white picture. If you want to use s video you have to use the S video jack on AV 6.

I assume you have connected your xbox to the component jacks on input 3 (these are confusingly coloured red, blue and green but are not the same as RGB)). Your DVD player would be better outputting a RGB picture through the AV 1 or 2. Somewhere in the menu on the player there will be an option. Failing that you will need a s video cable and use input 6 (picture would be slightly worse).

Another alternative is to connect the xbox through the VGA input freeing the component for the DVD.

4. Dogspods

Dogspods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris,

Probably wasn't clear in my original explanation. Xbox is indeed connected to the component jacks (who are they not the same as RGB??).

The Ixos s-video to scart lead was tried with the s-video connected to the DVD with the scart connected to the Sony (tried both AV1 and AV2) but just got b+w picture.

Next tried the Ixos scart to scart on both AV inputs and got no picture at all, just a blank screen.

Then tried the cheap and cheerful scart to scart lead and got both picture and sound, although the quality was a little poor.

This is the part that is confusing me. Whats different in the Ixos lead to c+c??

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    In a nutshell, Component allows for video up to 1080i (on some TVs, even up to 1080p, but not this one).

RGB SCART only allows up to 576i.

As for your SCART dilemma... eugh, SCART, I hate this connector so much. Connecting a SCART to SCART cable from the DVD Player should get you a fairly good standard def picture, albeit with jaggy motion on PAL movies (but not NTSC ones). Perhaps you need to turn on RGB output mode in the DVD player's menus before connecting the SCART cable?

Just to check, your DVD player doesn't have Component or HDMI outputs, does it?

6. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    S video was not officially part of the scart specification but early TVs would sometimes support it. When RGB became available that ceased as it used the same pins. If your DVD player is outputting the Y and C parts of the signal through its scart output (many DVD players have an option for S video or RGB but not at the same time) that would be probably rejected by the TV. The cheap scart is partially wired in all probability so you see a combined video signal.

As I explained you will need to get a s video lead and connect that to input 6 to use a s video output. The easiest thing is to reset the DVD player to RGB output and your Ixos scart should work. Use the cheap scart to get into the menus and change the setting then change the scart lead and it should work.

In picture terms the poorest signal is combined video (CVBS), s video, RGB then component (which has the ability to handle progressives signals if your dVD player can produce one.

7. Dogspods

Dogspods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers all, will have another try tomorrow while I have the house to myself.

Thanks for the help.

8. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Some IXOS scarts are not fully wired to avoid interference from other wires.

The scart you have may only be wired for RGB only and may not be wired for composite and svhs.

Some scart cables do not include audio either.

9. Dogspods

Dogspods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All sorted now - have no idea why the connections wouldn't work previously.

Just spend a very productive 10mins disconnecting/reconnecting everything and all is fine.

Cheers for all the advice - contemplating interim upgrade on DVD to a player with a HDMI socket and upscaling.