Sony KDL-40S2030 for £280 - worth buying?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by stuart.cookson, Feb 2, 2009.

1. stuart.cookson

stuart.cookson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My old TV is going to give up the ghost pretty soon, and I was going to wait until it went completely before replacing it. But I've just been offered a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2030 for £280. I'm in 2 minds as to whether I should buy it or not. It's been in use for about a year and is in very good condition.

Considering I'm on a very tight budget anyway, I'm tempted! If I were to be buying new, I'd be going for a 37" or 40", not really budget, but lower-end models from the usual suspects.

Perhaps a 2nd hand better model (for half the price!) would be a better option. Can anyone offer an opinion?!

Cheers,

Stuart

Mod Comment: Thread tiltle corrected

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. stuart.cookson

stuart.cookson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Quick bump...

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I've read through a good amount of the S Series thread, and it sounds like a pretty decent tv tbh, but i'm aware that most of the comments on that thread are a couple of years old.

Is it still a decent enough tv today? £280 worth?

Thanks,

Stuart

3. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    If you're going from CRT to flatscreen, normally I'd recommend a plasma - but bearing in mind you're on a budget, a plasma will probably cost you double that...

I say go for it, it's a decent enough TV. Offer him £250 for cash ;)

4. stuart.cookson

stuart.cookson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Ben.

That's what I was thinking. I think I'll put in a cheeky offer of £220 and come up to £250. I hope he goes for it!

Stuart

5. stuart.cookson

stuart.cookson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just to round this thread off for anyone looking in the future, I decided to go for this TV. I figured it was about spot on for the money, and it fitted in our budget. Brought it home this evening and set it all up.

I'm very pleased! It's impossible to make a meaningful comparison between the Sony and my old Samsung CRT, but I have to say even my wife commented this evening how much she likes it! And, believe me, my wife is not one to throw away comments like that about AV stuff!!

I look forward to years of happy viewing!

Stuart

6. stuart.cookson

stuart.cookson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well now, after nearly 3 years, this tv has developed a fault. I have a couple of thin vertical lines going all the way from the top to the bottom of the screen. The first has been there a couple of months. It started just 1 pixel wide, and only a few inches from the bottom, but it grew in height and now it's growing wider too. Today a second line has appeared. Both lines seem to be missing red, since they're most prominent when there's a very red image on screen.

ForumRunner_20120106_203932.png

I presume it's the end of the road for the tv.

Unless anyone has any ideas for fixing it? I'm inclined to think it's not really worth it but if there's an easy fix...?

7. LJD

LJD
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    at todays prices is it worth fixing anything? !!

Like you, i tend to love buying S/H as i find i get more for the money. I then save a little each year as my "guarantee " fund. If it stops working i just move on. Cannot be fussed to wait months disputing a claim etc !