• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony KDL-40R473A: Best sub-£500 TV for meeting the following needs...?

jay7

Standard Member
(Link to Sony page for KDL-40R473A - KDL-40R473A | Televisions | Overview | KDL40R473ABU | KDL40R473A | Sony)

Hi. Looking for advice about how best to spend up to £500 on a TV. My criteria are:

- Size = approx 40 inches
- Use = mostly 'normal' TV, some football and films, no gaming though
- Location = average size living room with less than average daylight
- Viewing angles = roughly 45 degrees either side

Things I don't need:

- 3D
- Smart TV
- anything else that isn't needed if just want to watch TV/DVDs etc

The Sony KDL-40R473A seems to fit the bill, but can't seem to find any reviews for it online, and I was wondering if other (cheaper) TVs might be better value for money?

A guy from Sony reckons even Samsung people would admit that Sony have overtaken them in 2013. Is this true?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

jay7

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply. Just read the review now. I've only been searching for Full HD models and so overlooked that one.

Is there a Panasonic Full HD model close to £500 that's recommended? (The closer to £500 the better, but I'd be prepared to go up to £600 and at a push £700 if I felt it was worth it.)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

jay7

Standard Member
How far away are you sitting? a 768 screen will likely be fine if your far away enough.

Over 10 feet away at least.

Based on advice here and elsewhere, I decided to order an X60 from Amazon. As someone pointed out on the comments section of the AVForums review, it's available from Amazon for the heavily discounted price of £355.95, which all things considered seems like a much better deal than the £450 I would've paid for the Sony.

End of the day, I wasn't looking for too much more than a bigger TV to replace our basic Bush LED TV that's never done any Full HD work in its life, and as they say, you can't miss what you've never had - except a bigger TV maybe...

So, thanks for suggesting the X60 - saved me £100!

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Over 10 feet away at least.

Based on advice here and elsewhere, I decided to order an X60 from Amazon. As someone pointed out on the comments section of the AVForums review, it's available from Amazon for the heavily discounted price of £355.95, which all things considered seems like a much better deal than the £450 I would've paid for the Sony.

End of the day, I wasn't looking for too much more than a bigger TV to replace our basic Bush LED TV that's never done any Full HD work in its life, and as they say, you can't miss what you've never had - except a bigger TV maybe...

So, thanks for suggesting the X60 - saved me £100!

Cool it looks a great set, at 10ft it will be fine for HD.;)

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom