sony kdl 32w5500 v Samsung LE-32B650

trad

Standard Member
Hi

This is my first time posting on this forum and I'm considering buying one of the above lcd's. The Samsung 32b650 seems to get a slightly better review than the Sony 32w5500 from the experts but I would like to hear from other members what would be my best bet.

Hoping for some good advice

Trad

Oztig

In view of my disastrous experience with the earlier Sony 32D3000, I'd go for the Samsung.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
well the 32D3000 is simply,way much worse than W5500,there is no comparison between them.As for the 32B650 vs 32W5500,both perform exactly the same with very minor differencies one to another.Personally I d go for the sony,for its better build quality and non glossy screen,but also because I always prefer the less over-saturated colours vs the samsung

xiuxiuejar

I can only tell you about my experience. I have a KDL32W5500 and it is quite simply a fantastic TV. Before buying this TV I looked at a lot of high end of mid-range TVs, including the Philips series, Samsungs, a Pioneer and Panasonic. For me, it had to be the Sony. Great blacks, great picture quality. Very happy.

razvan2007

Standard Member
I can only tell you about my experience. I have a KDL32W5500 and it is quite simply a fantastic TV. Before buying this TV I looked at a lot of high end of mid-range TVs, including the Philips series, Samsungs, a Pioneer and Panasonic. For me, it had to be the Sony. Great blacks, great picture quality. Very happy.
Hi,
I'm about to chose between 32V5500 and 32W5500. Before that I must know if Motionflow 100Hz could be engaged with a pc connection or in game mode set.
And by the way...

Pro W:

"One thing that became obvious at first glance, and even moreso during the calibration process, was that the KDL-32V5500 doesn't feature quite as high quality an LCD panel as the KDL-32W5500. The panel in this unit had a slightly less impressive black level, lessened uniformity (with hints of uneven lightness visible on solid colours, especially at the left and right edges of the panel), and interestingly, an unusual scanline-like pattern from extreme angles on whites (this is not noticeable during normal use, but I found it interesting enough to mention).

Pro V:

"Perversely, despite these slight down-sides, the KDL-32V5500 does not feature the objectionable "dragging blacks" issue that irritated me on the W5500 version. Like on any LCD TV, blacks do leave some trails, but they're nowhere near as severe. For those unfamiliar with "dragging blacks", LCD TVs have difficulties when the pixels have to change colour from one extreme to the other (from full black to full white). In situations where this is possible – like cartoons which feature thick black outlines – the blacks can produce visible trails, which can be quite distracting. To reiterate, the issue does exist here to a mild extent, but this is to be expected."

And about the input lag on V series...
"LCD TVs without a 100hz system typically react quicker to input commands, because they don't have to generate motion vector information and new inbetween frames before sending video to the LCD panel. (Even in 100hz TVs which let you turn this process off, a delay is still often involved, but this depends on the TV design). This was the case here: even before engaging GAME Mode, my usual test game of Halo 3 felt very quick and responsive. Turning the GAME mode on made no discernible difference to responsiveness."

So V slightly better or what?

Please help me to chose right!

Thanks!

Last edited:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
I d still go for the 32W5500.The dragging blacks problem seems to be just a faulty unit of the sample(not that it is unusual for an lcd tv,its just this specific set that seems to have an unusual degree of the problem)

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
with game mode enabled the 100Hz are disabled

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
including this yes

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom