Sony KDL-32V5500 Vs Sony KDL-32W5500

vipaldo

Standard Member
Hi, Im really intested in buying one of these tv's and have found them for £570 (V5500) and £640 (W5500). My real question is, is the 100hz and 20k more contrast worth the extra £70.

Does 100hz really make the images noticibly better. I've been trying to decide on this for ages and can never find a W5500 on display to check.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
What do you plan on using the TV for ?

I would say the 100Hz. is not really important or a necessity. I did see both sets side by side in my local Sony store with the same display source and lighting and relatively speaking the W5500 did seem more vivid and realistic. I decided to go with the 32W5500. There are two main discussion thread in the main LCD TV forum on both the V and W series so you may want to take a lok at those.

Are you set on the Sony's as the Samsung B550 and B650 are also pretty good. If you go with 50Hz then there is also the Panasonic S10. You can't go wrong with any of these brands or models.

vipaldo

Standard Member
Im planning on using it mainly for Freeview and HD content (PS3, 360 etc). The sony models are the main ones I've been researching, would you say the samsung or the panasonic is better than the two sony models.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't say they are better but overall very similar to each other. You don't necessarily need 100Hz so the Sony v5500, Samsung 550 and Panasonic S10 would be more then adequate. They are all full HD 1080p.

vipaldo

Standard Member
Ah I see, I dont know if I can justify spending an extra £70 on a feature (100hz) that isnt needed all the time. Though the extra 20k contrast should make the picture better which could be worth it. lol choices choices.

vipaldo

Standard Member
Just been looking through this forum (bad idea, more choices :( ) and came accross the Samsung LE32B651, quick price check puts it around £620.

Anyone had a chance to see this in store and pref vs the sonys.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Just been looking through this forum (bad idea, more choices :( ) and came accross the Samsung LE32B651, quick price check puts it around £620.

Anyone had a chance to see this in store and pref vs the sonys.

You can get it for £600 here and yes it is the same TV just with a few minor cosmetic differences.

SAMSUNG LE32B650 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

It's pretty much the same quality wise as the Sony W5500. I just didn't like the look and styling plus I prefer the Sony's XMB interface. The Samsung does have a few more options regards network media streaming but that isn't important to me as I use the PS3 for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom