Sony KDL-32V2000U and KDL-40V2000U thread (new V-Series)

Delighted with new Sony KDL-32V2000U but very puzzled by connection to my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder. With SKy+ connected to AV1 and DVD to AV2 via SCART all is as expected. As soon as I connect SCART from Sky box to AV2 input on recorder the picture on AV1 of TV changes to output from DVD. Cannot find any way of recording from SKy+.

Any thoughts or suggestions?:confused:

CSX1

Would you be very kind and let me know your settings for SKY HD via HDMI? Football is key for me and you are obviously very happy with it.
Thanks.

Certainly.. Although I am still tweaking but almost there ...

SKYHD
1080i (slightly sharper noticable in menus else i cant see no diff with 720P. trying to see if 1080i introduces blur but so far i think not)

custom
backlight = 2
contrast = 95
Brightness = 46
Colour = 40
Sharp = 8
Noise = 0ff

black correction = low
contrast E. = off
Gamma = low
clear white = off
Live Col = low
Col Space = Wide
Mpeg = off

My current investigation is Xbox into VGA. Its slightly more washed out than component.. Discussing in the xbox forums, its apparently a trait of the xbox output. Anyway it aint to bad its just noticable when you compare it to component. course you havent so many adjustemnts to twaek on the VGA input. Anyway my Xbox HDDVD comes friday and thats the crunch for weather I use it on VGA or component.

Basically many of my teaks were based around getting rid of the orange tint without introducing to much colour vibrancy while maintaining a good black.
I must admit my blacks are spot on.

I will not go into the well debated subject about plasma dying in about 5 years .... (check the forums elsewhere, not a reason to hold you back!).

However, if you are definitely looking for the better image it is plasma and plasma again and again especially above the 37" size. You should check this for yourself and make the decision trusting your eyes!

My Dad has had 2 plasma tv's now and i wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. My 40v2000 beats his new LG hands down at everything. There isnt too much that you can change on picture settings so a lot of channels have a horrible fuzzy efect on them. It should really be up to your own eyes but i would plump for LCD(Sony) any day.

Having now tweaked for 3 months I have settled on settings that I am quite happy with.
This is using Sky SD and bearing in mind that the room is usually very bright.

Backlight - 5
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 42
Colour - 48
Temp - Neutral
Sharpness - 8
N/R - off

Black corrector - off
Cont Enhance - off
Gamma - off
Clear white - high
Live Col - off
Colour space - normal
Mpeg - off

My dilemma has always been the orangy reds, with the Colour space set to wide this disappears but the distortions to other colours such as blue, green and yellow make the picture look very strange.Also there is a dinstinct purple tinge to skin tones.
As for colour temp, well turn the colour down to zero and switch between the temps, cool is to blue, warm 1 and warm 2 have a yellow tinge which bears no relation to black and white. Neutral gives the most acceptable white balance of all the settings.
I have tried also adjusting all of these settings via the service menu but have always felt that the Neutral setting is best.
Also it is interesting that the colour temp settings vary between the three sizes( ie. 32, 40 and 46) however each 32" has the same settings as does the 40"s and the 46"s. How do I know this, well I am sad enough to have visited various stores and went into numerous service menus to check!!
Anyway, the settings I have now give a very natural but vibrant picture, reds are still orangy at times but it depends on the broadcast.
Getting Sky HD in soon so may be back to tweaking once more.
If anyone has done more research into white balance etc let me know!

Having now tweaked for 3 months I have settled on settings that I am quite happy with.
This is using Sky SD and bearing in mind that the room is usually very bright.

Backlight - 5
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 42
Colour - 48
Temp - Neutral
Sharpness - 8
N/R - off

Black corrector - off
Cont Enhance - off
Gamma - off
Clear white - high
Live Col - off
Colour space - normal
Mpeg - off

My dilemma has always been the orangy reds, with the Colour space set to wide this disappears but the distortions to other colours such as blue, green and yellow make the picture look very strange.Also there is a dinstinct purple tinge to skin tones.
As for colour temp, well turn the colour down to zero and switch between the temps, cool is to blue, warm 1 and warm 2 have a yellow tinge which bears no relation to black and white. Neutral gives the most acceptable white balance of all the settings.
I have tried also adjusting all of these settings via the service menu but have always felt that the Neutral setting is best.
Also it is interesting that the colour temp settings vary between the three sizes( ie. 32, 40 and 46) however each 32" has the same settings as does the 40"s and the 46"s. How do I know this, well I am sad enough to have visited various stores and went into numerous service menus to check!!
Anyway, the settings I have now give a very natural but vibrant picture, reds are still orangy at times but it depends on the broadcast.
Getting Sky HD in soon so may be back to tweaking once more.
If anyone has done more research into white balance etc let me know!

What you are saying is what i am finding.. I do have SkyHD and at the moment have the settings I listed above. Although they are more than adequate I am still tweaking.. I will try your settings and see what I think.
My biggist Dilemma is Xbox 360 on VGA..Its washed out compared to composite. Apparently its a trait of the Xbox output. Ive just received the HDDVD xbox add on so over the weekend i will draw my final conclusions on how to connect it (Ideally I want to keep it on VGA for the DVD upscailing and to keep composite free). You can make the VGA more vibrant by having the light sensor OFF but I prefer this ON for all my other settings and its a global setting.

Basically what im finding in the week ive had the set is PQ is excellent and clean with good blacks. The 2 issues for me (which are minor) is the colour setup and the Xbox into VGA. I think another week of tweaking then that will be it. I can get on with setting me audio side up then and weather to mount it on the wall or not :confused:

What you are saying is what i am finding.. I do have SkyHD and at the moment have the settings I listed above. Although they are more than adequate I am still tweaking.. I will try your settings and see what I think.
My biggist Dilemma is Xbox 360 on VGA..Its washed out compared to composite. Apparently its a trait of the Xbox output. Ive just received the HDDVD xbox add on so over the weekend i will draw my final conclusions on how to connect it (Ideally I want to keep it on VGA for the DVD upscailing and to keep composite free). You can make the VGA more vibrant by having the light sensor OFF but I prefer this ON for all my other settings and its a global setting.

Basically what im finding in the week ive had the set is PQ is excellent and clean with good blacks. The 2 issues for me (which are minor) is the colour setup and the Xbox into VGA. I think another week of tweaking then that will be it. I can get on with setting me audio side up then and weather to mount it on the wall or not :confused:

I use VGA for my 360 with HD DVD but don't have the light sensor on. I've also recently turned off the clear white and this seems to improve the picture on shows like big brother that use crappy cameras. This sort of footage - and many outside news broadcasts where they may as well be using camera phones - are a bugger with high quality LCD displays I find.

Still deciding between Cool and Neutral temps though.

My other settings for virtually all inputs are:

Backlight 3
Contrast 65 (80 on VGA)
Brightness 45
Colour 48
Temp Neutral
Noise Off
Sharpness 15 for most things but 7 for Humax PVR freeview via RGB scart

Advanced
Gamma medium
Clear white off
Colour wide
Live colour medium
everything else off

Global

Light sensor off
Power saving off

Can someone tell me if 32v2000 has tilt option (i know for swivel)?

thanx

Thanx...

My v2000 seems to be tilted backwards just a few degrees...it's not a problem, but i can see it if i look for it...

Anybody else with Bravia tilted juuust a little backward? I don't want to be the only one :)

Ive had my 40V2000 about 10 days now (see earlier posts a page or 2 up).
After extensive tweaking during this time ive come to the following conclusion.

My set is OK on bleed and havent seen any duff pixels.
Still luv the design although would of prefered a black stand.

Picture is nice and sharp and clean. I am happy with all this. Happy with football, Sky and onboard Digital tuner. Also got Xbox, HDDVD, XP Media and SKYHD hooked up to maximise HD inputs. OH and quite pleased with the onboard sound as well

Colour. Well its the choice between the lesser of too evils. Either the orange tint of Normal or the purply effect of Wide. I just cant find that perfect colour setup. Id say its somewhere between the two. Weather tweaking in the service menu would help I dont know and not sure if I want to find out. Any recommendations gladly received although ive tried every combination there is.

XBOX In VGA input .. Its washed out compared to component. Its not bad but affects all xbox games and the add on HDDVD drive. Its particularly noticable in the xbox menus.. I think its a trait of the xbox. Ill try and hook me laptop up to it sometime to prove.. Any way ive gave up and got it hooked in the vibrant clean component input.. Ill live with the minor inability to play DVD's upscaled (no big difference).

Basically it. The colour issue is a pity as it would be perfect. Most people probably wouldnt notice the tint but their you go.

Oh The blacks are great and ive got a spreadsheet of my settings email if you want it.. [email protected]

has anyone managed to correct the colour issue via the service menu or by calibration, if so what are the results?
I am still bugged by the orangy reds but find overall that normal is better than red as i really don`t like the wide setting at all, unless someone can give me settings using wide that minimise the purple tint, especially with skin tones.

Some advice please! Down to the choice of 2, either the KDL40v or the Pioneer PD 427. My main requirements are DVD watching, thinking of upgrading to the Pioneer DV696 and gaming, TV watching not such a big deal and I have a separate sound sysytem so no worries there either. My main concerns are picture quality and reliability, any advice greatly received!

has anyone managed to correct the colour issue via the service menu or by calibration, if so what are the results?
I am still bugged by the orangy reds but find overall that normal is better than red as i really don`t like the wide setting at all, unless someone can give me settings using wide that minimise the purple tint, especially with skin tones.

I prefer the wide setting. I just use the cold temperature colour mode and adjust the other settings to your taste. For me it gives almost the perfect skin tone.

wonder if any one can help, I've got a kdl v 42000 running freeview. really happy with it apart from the black levels. they are just too black. people with black on or any black object show no details, just solid black. Tried just about every setting on this forum but no luck. Can anybody help? Driving me mad! Would sky hd help?

Sounds like you have "Black Corrector" or the Contrast Mangling function (forget the name) tuned on in the Advanced Menu?

Could someone please paste the V2000U settings thread - i can't seem to locate it through the search engine!!

Many thanks

Friend of mine has just bought a 40V and is complaining of a poor picture watching football via Telewest.

Is this likely to be a settings problem or something different.

i'm being a bit lazy as I haven't got time to read all this thread, its massive !

Any help appreciated

Russ

Hi Russ,

I have the 32V and a telewest HD box. It’s a great TV but the football quality can vary dramatically. I was watching the Championship the other day which is extremely bad and found the analogue picture much better. On a good broadcast the football is fine, HD football is fantastic but rarely shown on the telewest box :(

Friend of mine has just bought a 40V and is complaining of a poor picture watching football via Telewest.

Is this likely to be a settings problem or something different.

i'm being a bit lazy as I haven't got time to read all this thread, its massive !

Any help appreciated

Russ

I watch footy on Sky HD and Sky SD.. Its fine..
Its usually a setting thing

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom