Sony KDL-32V2000U and KDL-40V2000U thread (new V-Series)

Rott

Standard Member
Besides having only one HDMI input, it seems that the V series only has one component input also :(

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...V2000U~dt~Televisions~st~LCD+TV~make~Sony.htm

The KDL-32V2000U is now available to pre-order at EmpireDirect. The price including delivery is £1,457.88.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/view_item_cat.php?catalogue_number=sony_bravia_kdl32v2000u

Creative Video has them at a more expensive price, but is expecting stock on April 24th!

And yes, the quantity of inputs is shoddy for a TV this expensive, but coupled with a switch box (annoying, I know), this is the right choice for me picture quality wise.

W

wilddog

Bearing in mind there only appears to be one HDMI socket, would it be better to use the HDMI lead direct into the tv from the sky HD box and get 5.1 via optical into amp. or HDMI into the amp and from there into the tv and do away with the optical connection. really sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, won't mind if i am sent elsewhere. thanks.:rolleyes:

Molhoy

Novice Member
Hi Lyris,

You have a lot to answer for!

After months on these forums trying to decide on the right LCD for my needs, I finally plumped for a Samsung LE32M51 last November and have been mostly happy with it. There are a few issues that have been bothering me, though - such as slightly unnatural colours on certain material and no backlight adjustment - so a few says ago I returned to AV forums in search of advice.

However, within minutes I stumbled across this thread (and your BRAVIA FAQ thread) and you've got me hooked! Your enthusiastic and well-informed posts about the updated Bravia range have got me seriously tempted to commit the extremely reckless act of selling my Samsung and pre-ordering a new V32 (or even V40!) Among the impressive list of specs their (on paper at least) class-leading colour reproduction and back light adjustment seem to be the answer to my Samsung woes.

I did, of course, consider the old V-series when looking at TVs last year, but the lack of a VGA input (my choice for the XBOX 360) was a big issue. As you have already stated, the absence of this from the V-series when it was present in the S-series was/is ridiculous. It’s good that the new range has corrected this and we’re finally getting the V-series Bravias we should have got from the start..

The other problem I had with the old V-series was one which I didn’t fully understand at the time and only by reading this thread have I found the explanation. At the time I could only describe it as ‘MPEG exaggeration’, coupled with an odd colour issue almost akin to a reduction in colour depth. I now understand these issues to be symptoms of the edge enhancement ‘feature’ described earlier in this thread.

I see you had a problem with this also, but also see that you have now placed an order for a new V32. Did you ever find out what the edge enhancement situation was with the new V-series? Is it still ‘always on’ as before?

Well done on the thread, although as I said at the start of this post you have a lot to answer for! If I really do plump for a new V32/40 it will, I’m sure, be great. However, my bank balance… and girlfriend… may never fully recover!;)

I've not seen the V2000 series in the flesh so I've ordered it in good faith with the Sony people.

The other problem I had with the old V-series was one which I didn't fully understand at the time and only by reading this thread have I found the explanation. At the time I could only describe it as ‘MPEG exaggeration', coupled with an odd colour issue almost akin to a reduction in colour depth. I now understand these issues to be symptoms of the edge enhancement ‘feature' described earlier in this thread.
Actually an odd colour issue would be separate from edge enhancement. All TV manufacturers seem to give their TVs weird-looking colours to make them stand out from others, but that surprises me seeing as Sony sell their TVs on their colour.

BTW, regarding the Samsung colours. I had an LE32R41B and got rid of it for a few reasons - one of them being the fact that everything seemed to have a green tint to it no matter how much I tweaked. Green was definitely being overemphasised. It gave a lot of people's faces a sort of green/yellowish sickly look.

Let me know how you get on :)

W

wilddog

Just ordered a 40V2000 at £2,299 from the local Sony shop, i have been won over by the hype and can't believe i am spending so much on something i have not even seen yet, fingers crossed i won't be dissapointed.

The problem for me is that i really want to see the world cup in HD but at the same time my main priority is longer term satisfaction. Unfortunately because Sky has left it so late to introduce the service i worried about possible short term supply issues for the latest premium quality sets during this period. i accept there are no guarantees that the V will be delivered on time but most dealers seem to think it will arrive earlyish in May, a risk i will have to take along with a few others on this forum, from what i have seen.

Whatever, having got the spending bug my next stop was Harrow Audio where I spent a further £1900 on a Denon 1906 amp, a Denon 1920 DVD, a Kef 3005 speakers system (they are fantastic) an Optimum AV stand plus all cables and leads etc. Service was excellent with a promise that if i need it they will assist with home setting up. I might have got a few more quid off elsewhere but with my total lack of technical ability the friendly service with after sales back-up clinched it for me.

Now all i have to do is wait for is 27/05 when sky have promised to install me a new HD box and hope the telly comes beforehand.

W

wilddog

Further to the above i would be interested in anyones opinions on the choice of amp relative to the Kef speakers and anything else of course. :smashin: :smashin:

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Lyris said:
Interesting, have they changed the remote? Maybe they'll give us Discreet Input Selection this time? The foreign models have that as part of the WEGA GATE menu, and having to cycle through inputs (even when nothing is plugged into them) is one of the few design faults I can find with the Sony LCDs.
If you have a programmable remote this has been available for years. If you don't have a programmable one, but one that can learn remote codes, if you can find either a shop that will let you program and copy the IR code or a mate who has a suitable remote, then you can do this very easily. I've had this for at least the last six years!! :)

capt_janeway

Novice Member
Saw these in the Sony Centre, Lakeside yesterday and they blew me away :thumbsup: but £1800 for the 32" seemed a bit steep........I'll check out the other places mentioned.

The 40" was stunning and you could really see the difference between these and the older panels. My Mum has a panny lcd and watching the football on it makes me dizzy as the grass is always blurred.....will the new Sony's fair any better?

Honestly, probably not, because I think that's more a deinterlacing problem than the LCD panel. We'll see though.

Magic-NeilJ

Standard Member
Lyris - do you know when you are expecting your Sony? I can see a lot of people will be here waiting for your review....

The first or second week of May. You can expect a brief review on the first night an in-depth stuff the next day :smashin:

W

wilddog

oh well some you lose, some you lose.:suicide:
wilddog said:
Further to the above i would be interested in anyones opinions on the choice of amp relative to the Kef speakers and anything else of course. :smashin: :smashin:

ddlooping

wilddog said:
Further to the above i would be interested in anyones opinions on the choice of amp relative to the Kef speakers and anything else of course.
Maybe you should start a thread in the amp section of the forums.
Telling what your budget (and requirements?) are would also help. ;)

Y

yanfil

I'm buying a Sony 40V2000U. Can anybody suggest a good wall bracket to use that is cheaper than the Sony? or should I save for the Sony?
Thanks

A P Murnaghan

Standard Member
For information it looks like Sony Centres will be offering a 3 year warranty (at least our local store in Camberley told me today they will be). Although their published price will be £1699 but stock due in two weeks :thumbsup:

Has anyone actually taken delivery of a 2006 model yet? I'm interested in the KDL32V2000, and am awaiting the first review to see if all the hype is justified and this will indeed be the one to put Sony back on top!

drljames

Novice Member
I asked my local Sony Centre (Wolverhampton) to match Amazons price (they were 200 quid cheaper) - for the 32" S model. They came back with their usual price 1299 but thru in 5 years free warranty.

When I went into the shop at the weekend, they wanted an extra 50 quid for 3 years and 70 for 5!

So if buying from Sony Centre... hold on for the 5 years :)

keithoffice

Standard Member
Am I likley to be dissapointed, or do Sony generally get it right?

I have just placed an order for the KDL-32V2000U and I am starting to wonder if I have been a little hasty. I was going to get the Philips 32PF9830 but preferred a newer model.

I am a bit worried that this may be a flop, I am worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance.

P.S This is my first LCD TV so probably going to be a huge difference over my current Sony CRT TV.

I was asking the same question as you in September 2004. The Sony LCD I got back then was the first Sony A/V product I'd ever bought.

I was terrified about black levels, ghosting, etc. It honestly was as close to perfect as the LCD technology back in 2004 allowed (but it lacked the necessary HDMI input). These new models correct that and introduce the latest LCD panel.

If anyone gets it right, it's the Sonys and Panasonics of the A/V world. It's the safest bet I can think of - but you knew I'd tell you that anyway I think :smashin:

so99

Novice Member
I have been into the sony shop about an hour ago. They are selling the 40V2000 for 2400 with one year warranty and warranty for 190 for 5 years(parts and labour).

All Sony shops will be first to get the new screens and then soon after other retailers. They also said end of May 06 for the screen. I have pre-ordered but they do not have it on thier system yet to officially place the order although i will be the first. They also said there was going to be a short supply due to demand from all sony shops and large retailers.

I also asked about the £100 discount for sky+ but they said it was not common knowledge. I said it was on sony style and on sky.com .

I said that i want a zero pixel screen and they were stating that euro guidelines were set and they do not have to replace the screen. I said i will not take delivery until it is checked. What are my rights while the screen is still in the shop.

RunDMC

keithoffice said:

I have just placed an order for the KDL-32V2000U and I am starting to wonder if I have been a little hasty. I was going to get the Philips 32PF9830 but preferred a newer model.

I am a bit worried that this may be a flop, I am worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance.

P.S This is my first LCD TV so probably going to be a huge difference over my current Sony CRT TV.
I think Sony got caught out with the shift to LCD, but if the new S series is anything to go by (and your V will be even better), you have nothing to worry about.

I too am looking at my first LCD (having had Sony CRTs before). My opinion is better the devil you know (my current TV is still producing a fantastic picture, but I'd like to move to a larger and more future-proofed screen).

bad robot

Novice Member
ohayo said:
IMO,The update between new V and old V just a little..Still used same pannel ,same figure and just add 1 more Component input and 1 PC input, that's all..maybe add some new name of processing technology... If the old V wont discontinued on the midyear, if the price cheaper than new V around 300 pounds...i prefer the old V...
Ok i bought the original V40 and was totally dissapointed when i heard it wasnt getting VGA and the S series had.
For me HTPC is one of the main uses for the display.

TBH as it turned out you dont need it and if anything the VGA connection has no future on a PC if as we understand HDCP to be all the rage with HD material and Vista now expected in 2007.

I still dont think the panel offered 1:1 with VGA (someone can confirm) so see no reason why this new model will either. Personally with DVI-HDMI ive stuck with a manual 1200x700 resolution which gets scaled to fullscreen however suffers from ZERO overscan and as i demonstrated the V40 spat out approx 3" of missing horizontal picture from standard DVD source.

Be interesting to see if Sony enable a manual overscan control that would come as a real welcomed feature.

Bad Robot, everything that was on the American KDL-V32XBR1 model - WEGA GATE menus, Overscan adjust, are on the new European S-Series.

So, they should all be on the new V-Series too. That's why it's more than likely that 1:1 over VGA will be there - nothing like the new menus, Brightness Sensor, or PC input has been taken out this time. So, it's looking good.

W

wilddog

so99 said:
wilddog- did you get any free warranty with your lcd and which sony store
Hi there, the full story is i went into the Ruisilp sony shop in west london last sat. am with the intention of view the new 40" s series. unfortunately none were set up but they had 3 or 4 boxed which had only just been delivered and they had not had a chance to put one on display. i got into conversation and asked about the upcomming v series. they told me it was on their system and suggested if i put a deposit down the order would be recorded and i would stand a better chance of getting one of the first available. I gave them £50 deposit and have a receipt saying i owe £2,249, i did not think to discuss warranty at this point as it was agreed that whatever happens if i want i can hve the money back no questions asked.
so basically my decision was totally spontaneous but also very encouraged by what i have seen on this excellent forum. I think i will be pressing for a 3 year warranty and £100 off after seeing the comments above.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett