Sony KDL-32V2000U and KDL-40V2000U thread (new V-Series)

ahin4114

Novice Member
For me the best enhancement for the new V series is the fact that it's supposed to accept native res. so anybody out there looking to do 1:1 pixel mapping through a scaler will now be able to do it. HTPC bods should also find a dedicated PC input a useful addition - even if it isn't DVI.

andrewfee

Novice Member
ahin4114 said:
For me the best enhancement for the new V series is the fact that it's supposed to accept native res. so anybody out there looking to do 1:1 pixel mapping through a scaler will now be able to do it. HTPC bods should also find a dedicated PC input a useful addition - even if it isn't DVI.
Unfortunately, it's not really any more use, unless you just play games, as you need digital 1:1 mapping for 50Hz. (I'm not aware of any new display that will accept 50Hz over VGA, even though it is technically possible. (been using it on an old 17" Monitor recently)

Interesting to see that the 26" is now the only display that doesn't have an S-PVA panel.

V3X

Banned
Does anyone know whether or not the X series will include a 32 inch model? I like the idea of having 2 x HDMI and 2 x component.

To round things off, every function is accessible using the ergonomically refined remote commander, which features enlarged frequent-use keys and relatively low key count for maximum ease of use.
Interesting, have they changed the remote? Maybe they'll give us Discreet Input Selection this time? The foreign models have that as part of the WEGA GATE menu, and having to cycle through inputs (even when nothing is plugged into them) is one of the few design faults I can find with the Sony LCDs.

J

jlawsonuk

Lyris said:
Interesting, have they changed the remote? Maybe they'll give us Discreet Input Selection this time? The foreign models have that as part of the WEGA GATE menu, and having to cycle through inputs (even when nothing is plugged into them) is one of the few design faults I can find with the Sony LCDs.
I have the v32A12u. You can press the OK button in the remote and it brings up a menu for you to select the Input you want. Is this what you mean?

Excellent, not having one of the BRAVIA TVs I've missed that. Thanks for the info. That puts that to rest then.

skipton01

Novice Member
The direct AV-input selection feature, or lack of it, is my one major bugbear with my V40A12 - makes the use of activities on my Harmony remote control near useless.

Does anyone know of a way of setting the Harmony so that when you select an activity such as "Watch DVD", it can switch the V40 to the HDMI input (AV 5)?

If the new handset for the new model can do it, surely it must be implementable for existing users (using an aftermarket remote) - even if it means a trip into the service menus.

M

mountfords

skipton01 said:
The direct AV-input selection feature, or lack of it, is my one major bugbear with my V40A12 - makes the use of activities on my Harmony remote control near useless.

Does anyone know of a way of setting the Harmony so that when you select an activity such as "Watch DVD", it can switch the V40 to the HDMI input (AV 5)?

If the new handset for the new model can do it, surely it must be implementable for existing users (using an aftermarket remote) - even if it means a trip into the service menus.

hmmm... slightly confused by this as my V40 and Harmony 525 do this no problems. Although there is only an up/down control on the Sony remote, the harmony software lists specific inputs - they need translating as they don't directly correspond but it certainly works on mine.

Amadeus22

Standard Member
does anyone know in which sizes the X-series will come? it reads like there will be more sizes but there's no real mentioning about the X-series and i'm afraid that sony will only bring a 46inch version to raise the prize on their "luxury-model" :eek:

skipton01

Novice Member
mountfords said:
hmmm... slightly confused by this as my V40 and Harmony 525 do this no problems. Although there is only an up/down control on the Sony remote, the harmony software lists specific inputs - they need translating as they don't directly correspond but it certainly works on mine.
Cheers for that - I'll have a fiddle about with the Activity setup again and the Help function. The only AV inputs available from the Harmony setup menu are AV1, RGB, AV2, YC2, AV3 & YC3, so I presume one of these maps onto AV5 (HDMI).

OK, time to bump this thread, it's almost time for these :thumbsup:

My KDL-32V2000U has been pre-ordered from CheapElectricals. Once it arrives in May, expect a full review with lots of pictures!

Sony of Japan also plans to release their new V-Serise over there. Here's their press release (translated): http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h...se/Press/200604/06-0411/&prev=/language_tools

Bizarrely BRAVIA Engine comes out as "brassiere beer engine".

It talks a lot about how the Live Colour Creation backlight is a big improvement over the old CCFL backlight. From their demo pictures, it seems that the reds and greens appear more vivid, so the blacks can appear darker?

It also tells us more about BRAVIA Engine. It says that it will smooth jagged lines ("fine contour revision").

* Also very interestingly: "With that high quality reliability concerning the liquid crystal panel section manufacturer guarantee of 1 year is extended until recently in 2." So in Japan they get a 2 year warranty now, because the panels are apparently more reliable? Maybe Sony of Europe will give us the same? ....nah.

* The HDMI input terminal has also been added to the Japanese V-Series. It wasn't there before (no joke).

* The 32" version weighs 17kg (with stand) and measures 79.2×54.6×9.9cm (width x height x depth)

mrtbag

Novice Member
Lyris said:
So in Japan they get a 2 year warranty now, because the panels are apparently more reliable? Maybe Sony of Europe will give us the same? ....nah.
I think there are countries in Europe where this already applies.

In Germany for example the Sony guarantee states 2 years.

chambeaj

I hope they give a decent level of control over the Live Colour Creation i.e. levels as apposed to just on and off. Looking at those photo's above the right side picture of a tree does not look natural - its been darkened too much and appears to be destroying detail.

g852

is the 52" still in sept? I noticed the sony uk website showing the new models. But not the x series or the 52"!

I think that'll just be a problem with their mock-up pictures. They explicitly state in the press release that:

"The "BRAVIA ENGINE" and the "SONY panel" * expression power of the shadow improves by the fact that it combines with 2, although tightening the part whose image is black, do not crush,"

It also states that the white parts are similarly brightened, but again, NOT crushed. My interpretation of this is that the panel itself can produce brighter pixels, so that the backlight doesn't have to be as high, thereby improving the black level?

chambeaj

Hope so.

I am planning to upgrade to a 37"-40" 1080p LCD set this year. The new Philips ClearLCD sets will not support 1080p signals and infact it looks suspiciously as though Philips are abandoning 1920x1080 panels (have to say I am not impressed with Philips either - turned out to be a bad choice - although one thing the 9830 series is very good at is handling motion).

Consequently there appears to be only two LCD hopefuls so far this year which offer 1080p signal support, improved contrast ratios/black level detail and improved colour gamut i.e. 90/91% (comparable with CRT),
i.e. SONY X Series and the new Sharp LC-37GE1E

The Sharp already seems to be attracting criticisms on the US forums (i.e. excessive red push in skin tones etc.) and I confess to being a fan of SONY TV's (having owned three top end SONY WEGA sets i.e. KV-32FD1, KV-36FS70).

1080p's still a few years off for me yet.

Sony have another example of LCC here:

As well as this laughable example of "MPEG NR":

And apparently the new V-Series doesn't have fans on it?
"Other convenient functions & silence start & fan less mechanism & clock indication et cetera "

chrisc0le

Novice Member
hehe a fine example of JPEG noise reduction i think.. :rolleyes:

I love how they claim that their consumer LCD manages to magically restore detail that the MPEG blocking completely destroyed :rotfl:

Ah, marketing.

K

krlock2

anyone know if they updated the menu systems this time around, or are we stuck with the one we all know from 5 years ago?

They're updated on the S series so I think they should be on the Vs too. It's probably WEGA GATE, only without the name, because WEGA isn't cool any more ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett