Sony KDL-32V2000U and KDL-40V2000U thread (new V-Series)

The AV Forums *Unofficial* BRAVIA FAQ is located HERE

UPDATED (June 6, 2006).

Here's the story so far. The new BRAVIA V-Series turned out to be fantastic TVs. In the month or so that people have had them, no fatal problems have been found.

The biggest issue is that the video processing in the TV somehow creates horizontal halos to the left and right of high-frequency objects. Sony have said that they are not releasing a fix for this. More here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360101

You can read my (glowing) review of the 32" model here:
http://www.lyris-lite.net/kdl32v2000_review.html

The KDL-32V2000 and KDL-40V2000 are the replacements for the KDL-V32A12U and the KDL-V40A12U. There is no replacement for the old 26" model.

The cheapest price is now about £1200.

Anyway. Features:

1366x768 screen res
2x RGB SCART
1x Component input (yes, still only 1)
1x PC input (VGA D-SUB connector type) + 3.5mm audio (the headphone-size socket)
1x HDMI input (yep, only 1... grrrr!)
1x Composite & S-Video pair (side)

8ms S-LCD (Sony/Samsung) panel
1300:1 Contrast Ratio

Integrated Freeview tuner
Card slot for Top-Up TV

"Live Colour Creation" - creates deeper greens and reds.

Feature the new BRAVIA ENGINE picture enhancement tech.

See pictures of the beast in action here:
http://www.lyris-lite.net/kdl32v2000_review5b.html

Picture Settings
A few people have asked me what picture settings I use on this TV for various inputs.

This is slightly down to your own personal tastes, other equipment, even lighting. But, since people have asked, I'll post my settings here as a starting point...

!! Power Saving on Low or High in the Set-up (toolbox) menu !!

In the settings pictures below, I have "Colour Space" in the advanced menu set to "Normal". I seem to have taken to running the TV on "Wide" now instead. I honestly don't know which is the more correct, or if both are totally weird. Your mileage may vary, give it a tweak and see what you like best.

FREEVIEW (DVB TUNER) - SKY users might want to try these too

DVD (720p via HDMI from a Panasonic S97 with Sharpness turned down on the player)

I now also use these settings (with the exception of Sharpness at 2 instead) for my HD DVD player (running at 1080i).

These settings are not an "end-of", everyone likes different settings. In particular, most people prefer to put the backlight higher than I do (probably because the room I'm in has one of those energy saving dim bulbs and the picture doesn't look too dark to me). If you put your backlight down low and find it's too dark:

1. Give the panel 10 minutes or so to reach full brightness.
2. Raise the gamma in the Advanced menu.

But if you're stuck for ideas, try 'em out.

ripkord

Hmmmm dunno if I can wait that long... damn it!
They always wait until I buy something then bring out new models....

Is the new v40 gonna ba around the same price?

Hi/zuum

Lyris said:
Edge Enhancement problem on CURRENT models
AndrewFee brought to my attention that the current V-Series models have a false contouring problem on the Component inputs. From what I understand, setting the sharpness to 25 creates halos around everything, and setting it any lower simply takes this already distorted image and blurs it further (rather than just showing a 'pure' picture). Meaning that there's no happy middle ground.
This 'problem' is evident on Freeview as well. I think it's just a trick used to give the picture a sharper appearance, isn't it?. A couple a feet back & you don't even notice it whatever you're watching or playing.

Still, nice to hear my V26 isn't being superseded just yet! :)

ash

I don't know why they didnt add 2x HDMI. The WLT58 which was released last eyar has 2x HDMI, and is getting a new model in April, the new JVCs have 2x HDMI, the Panasonic PX600 I think will have 2x HDMI, but it does have 2x Component. But with SkyHD round the corner, that will need HDMI, and HDDVD Player which can only upscale via HDMI, you will need another HDMI, and also if you get PS3. Component sounds useless apart from Xbox360 and DVD player now :)

ripkord

theres rumours of a hdmi connection for the xbox360 coming aswell, ahh well we'll just need to get switchers, not the worst thing in the world is it :)

Hi/zuum

ashmufc said:
I don't know why they didnt add 2x HDMI. The WLT58 which was released last eyar has 2x HDMI, and is getting a new model in April, the new JVCs have 2x HDMI, the Panasonic PX600 I think will have 2x HDMI, but it does have 2x Component. But with SkyHD round the corner, that will need HDMI, and HDDVD Player which can only upscale via HDMI, you will need another HDMI, and also if you get PS3. Component sounds useless apart from Xbox360 and DVD player now :)
Yeah, fare point & on the point of the HDMI 360 lead, I'm watching Lik-sang for that baby. It should deal with the edge enhancement 'problem' nicely.

Hi/zuum

ashmufc said:
Yeah, fair point & on the point of the HDMI 360 lead, I'm watching Lik-sang for that baby. It should deal with the edge enhancement 'problem' nicely.

ripkord

I'll reserve judgement on that 'problem' until I see it, I probaly wont mind it, blinded by 40" of pure hd joy. :cool:

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Hi/zuum said:
This 'problem' is evident on Freeview as well. I think it's just a trick used to give the picture a sharper appearance, isn't it?. A couple a feet back & you don't even notice it whatever you're watching or playing.

Still, nice to hear my V26 isn't being superseded just yet! :)

its being stoped altogether:( sorry

This 'problem' is evident on Freeview as well. I think it's just a trick used to give the picture a sharper appearance, isn't it?.
I think so, but it should be adjustable to remove it if it's not to our liking and setting the Sharpness to 0 doesn't act as it logically should so it seems to me like a bug. Edge enhancement destroys detail in a picture by covering it up with ugly white glowing, pretty perverse for a WEGA-enabled TV.

That's shocking that it's on the Freeview pictures - all that'll do is bring out all that MPEG blocking.

ohayo

Standard Member
IMO,The update between new V and old V just a little..Still used same pannel ,same figure and just add 1 more Component input and 1 PC input, that's all..maybe add some new name of processing technology... If the old V wont discontinued on the midyear, if the price cheaper than new V around 300 pounds...i prefer the old V...

What do you prefer about the old V? The only possible benefit I could think of is one extra RGB SCART socket (and being available in 26")?

ohayo

Standard Member
..Just the price..if the the new one more expensive than the old one about 200-300 pounds...i prefer the old one..may use the 300pounds buy a Ps3 lol..

Hi/zuum

Lyris said:
I think so, but it should be adjustable to remove it if it's not to our liking and setting the Sharpness to 0 doesn't act as it logically should so it seems to me like a bug. Edge enhancement destroys detail in a picture by covering it up with ugly white glowing, pretty perverse for a WEGA-enabled TV.

That's shocking that it's on the Freeview pictures - all that'll do is bring out all that MPEG blocking.
Setting the sharpness to 0 on my V gives exactly the same blurred image as on my CRT set. It works in the same way so I wouldn't of thought it was a bug. Interestingly, when I connected a DVD player through the HDMI input the picture from a regular DVD looked soft edged. I actually preferred the component/scart harder edge picture. Now I'm expecting the PS3 through the HDMI input to deliver a perfect picture, as it'll be the first true digital HD signal into my SonyV.

ripkord

ohayo said:
..Just the price..if the the new one more expensive than the old one about 200-300 pounds...i prefer the old one..may use the 300pounds buy a Ps3 lol..
or half a ps3 :thumbsup: lol

Setting the sharpness to 0 on my V gives exactly the same blurred image as on my CRT set. It works in the same way so I wouldn't of thought it was a bug.
It sounds like you prefer an edge enhanced picture. That's fine, but the reason I call it a bug is because "Sharpness 0" should mean just that - 0 added sharpness - not blurring an already sharpened picture.

You can read all about edge 'enhancement' here: http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

For comparison, can you imagine how annoying it would be if computer monitors decided to add edge enhancement? "A little more can't hurt"...

Hi/zuum

Lyris said:
For comparison, can you imagine how annoying it would be if computer monitors decided to add edge enhancement? "A little more can't hurt"...
yes Lyris I think I do prefer a sharper picture but I draw the line on excess sharpness/edge enhancement. The example of the computer screen is like the equivalent of me turning the sharpness up on the V to the max. Awful! though on the default setting it's perfectly fine on all sources IMHO.

Hi/zuum

After reading that article on EE I personally think the Sony V's EE borders on the acceptable in Freeview & indeed through the component/scart connections. I think it's just used to sharpen a standard signal up on a HDTV. It's a trick & from a distance it works! To me this explains why a bog standard DVD looked softer through the HDMI on my V than through scart or component, as there were no tricks being played through the HDMI, so no EE applied, just a flater, softer, more detailed picture. This gives me confident that a HD signal through the HDMI input shouldn't suffer from EE at all but look as sharp & detailed as possible. With all this in mind I'm still interested in a possible HDMI cable for the 360 which again should erradicate the EE completely. I admit to being a videophile noob but I think I'm right in my thoughts. Yes, No? Lyris 'll tell me I'm talking bobbins! :D

Nope, that's it exactly :smashin:

My problem isn't that Sharpness 25 adds edge enhancement, that should be an option for people that want it because like you said, it can trick our eyes into thinking something's more detailed - from a distance. My problem is that anything lower smudges the picture, rather than just doing nothing to it. Not much fun for people who don't have a big room to sit back in.

Hi/zuum

Lyris said:
Nope, that's it exactly :smashin:

My problem isn't that Sharpness 25 adds edge enhancement, that should be an option for people that want it because like you said, it can trick our eyes into thinking something's more detailed - from a distance. My problem is that anything lower smudges the picture, rather than just doing nothing to it. Not much fun for people who don't have a big room to sit back in.
My old JVC CRT set smudges in the same way when the sharpness is turned down. The image is practically blurred when it's down to 0, so as a result I've been watching TV & playing games on it with the sharpness 2-3 bars short of max for years. Doh, I've become an EE addict haven't I! :( & on room size, if I was to swing the proverbial cat round my lounge, it would be headless within seconds! i.e it's small. I'm about 4/5 feet away the screen & it's fine. :D

Remember though that edge enhancement on an LCD sticks out way more than a CRT. Most CRT TVs are nothing like as clear (different from sharp) than LCDs.

Hi/zuum

Lyris said:
Remember though that edge enhancement on an LCD sticks out way more than a CRT. Most CRT TVs are nothing like as clear (different from sharp) than LCDs.
True & so here endeth the debate of the EE. :hiya:

gavinhunt`

Novice Member
Any update on the supposed new Bravia 1080p screens as well? Or is that one going to be late in the year or early next year? Looks like the new Philips ClearLCD will be giving the Bravia a run for its money, I would have thought Sony would have released the 1080p early on to gear up from BluRay/HD DVD and to set a new bench mark?