• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony KDL-32U2000

T

terrorbite

Hi. I bought a 32" Sony KDL-32U2000 LCD tv, after reading glowing reviews of it on the net.

Now I know the U range is Sony's cheaper one, and I know that standard def broadcasts have to be upscaled to the resolution of the TV (it's HD), but the picture quality is terrible. Playing games (granted on the original xbox, without HD cables) is an awful grainy experience too.

I was flicking through the channels, and stopped on The Hits, and the picture was just a mess and I don't think it was to do with the digital signal (we don't have any problems with that).

Maybe I'm just being picky. Does anyone else have this tv? I am happy with its brightness/contrast and I can accept the slight blurring during fast motion. Its mainly "noise" around images - like when you save a jpg image at low quality - that I have a problem with.

Edit: Also, if you do a price comparison search, you'll notice digitaldirect.co.uk is a lot cheaper than other sites. It seems they do this by sending out european versions of the tv. It came with the standard UK plug etc, but there were no english instructions with it. Its not really a problem, and you can download the english pdf manual from their site if you need it (which I didn't), but still. It also says assembled in slovakia, as opposed to the english manual version which I think is made in spain. Are they ripping their eastern european customers off with inferior components? :)

TeeDoubleUDee

Established Member
Hi. I bought a 32" Sony KDL-32U2000 LCD tv, after reading glowing reviews of it on the net.

Now I know the U range is Sony's cheaper one, and I know that standard def broadcasts have to be upscaled to the resolution of the TV (it's HD), but the picture quality is terrible. Playing games (granted on the original xbox, without HD cables) is an awful grainy experience too.

I was flicking through the channels, and stopped on The Hits, and the picture was just a mess and I don't think it was to do with the digital signal (we don't have any problems with that).

Maybe I'm just being picky. Does anyone else have this tv? I am happy with its brightness/contrast and I can accept the slight blurring during fast motion. Its mainly "noise" around images - like when you save a jpg image at low quality - that I have a problem with.

Edit: Also, if you do a price comparison search, you'll notice digitaldirect.co.uk is a lot cheaper than other sites. It seems they do this by sending out european versions of the tv. It came with the standard UK plug etc, but there were no english instructions with it. Its not really a problem, and you can download the english pdf manual from their site if you need it (which I didn't), but still. It also says assembled in slovakia, as opposed to the english manual version which I think is made in spain. Are they ripping their eastern european customers off with inferior components? :)
Very interesting - I am looking to buy this set and have been looking for some reviews - the only ones I found were on Amazon and 5 people gave 5 stars each! Also I was thinking of buying from DigitalDirect and I only found this post searching for info on them. This sounds like a grey import and may not be covered by UK warranty - I will definitely stay away from them now. I would still like to see any more reviews good or bad from the forum....

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom