SONY KDL-32EX420 DISPLAY PANEL MANUFACTURING DEFECT

Sankar C R

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone in this forum....

kindly look into the conversation between Sony and myself for the display panel problem..I was fighting for more than a week for the same, I could not get a favourable reply from SONY yet

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20-Jan-2014: To SONY INDIA (Mail no 1)

To: "SonyCare" <[email protected]>

Date: Jan 20, 2014

We purchased Sony LED TV (Model: KDL-32EX420IN5, Serial No: 2441948) on 29th Dec 2011. We installed the TV in our house with a separate electric circuit and external stabilizer. We also made sure that the TV is fully adult-controlled.

The problem arose on 13th Jan 2014, when the TV suddenly lost its display. It showed a symptom of vertical contour patterns. But the audio remained intact. We applied for service request immediately on the same day (Service Request No: 17434214). The service engineer inspected the TV on 18th Jan 2014 and inferred that the display panel is to be completely replaced which would cost around 40% of the original price of the set. We assume that an LED TV display has a life-time of (ave) 60,000 to 1,00,000 hour. In our case, it had not even crossed 3700 h (ave). We could not understand such a variation in performance happening with Sony product.

Since the TV was well protected in every aspect from our side, we are sure that the problem was not due to any negligence in our support and operation. I came across reviews describing gross manufacturing defects in Sony LED and LCD TVs. We also found that you solved the disputes in favour of the consumer in most of the cases that were beyond the warranty period. We have always had good opinion and trust in Sony products because of the quality and brand. We hope to receive similar support from your side in our case too.

We are very much aware that the warranty period is 1 year from the date of purchase and our TV had finished 2 years and 14 days exactly. But, since there was no physical damage or operational negligence from our side, it is not just for Sony to make us carry the burden of replacing the display panel at our own cost.

We request you to replace this TV set with a new, operable one. Even if it is going to be of higher rate, we shall very well pay only the remaining amount and buy it. Else, kindly make sure that you replace the LED display panel free of cost.

Thank you,

Sankara C R

NB: We have already furnished photocopies of the following documents to the service engineer: 1. Warranty card; 2. Invoice. And, e-mailed the screen shot of the defective TV image to [email protected]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply from SONY (Reply mail no 1) Date: Jan 20, 2014 5:34 PM

---------- message ----------

Date: Jan 20, 2014 5:34 PM

Subject: RE:'SonyIndia=017-527-477'Fwd: Service request no: 17434214_Request for display panel replacement

To: "Sankar C R"

Dear Mr. Sankara,

Greetings from Sony India !

We thank you for patronizing Sony Products.

This is in reference to your mail dated 20-January-2014 regarding your BRAVIA Model: KDL-32EX420, Serial no: 2441948 purchased on 29-12-2011.

We would like to inform you that the product was inspected by our service engineer for post sales support vides Job. No. J40148164.

On inspection of the product, it was found the Display Panel needs to be replaced for satisfactory working of the set.

Natural Electronic defect may happen in the Electronic products, in the course of time

As per the normal process, for newly purchased Sony products, the Company provides a 12 months warranty cover to support customers for any chance failures during the warranty period. Thereafter, any repair outside the warranty period the repair is done on a chargeable basis to customer.

As your product is not covered under Warranty, the repair estimate of Rs 14,371/- was informed to you by our Service Centre.

We would again like to request you to approve the estimate so that we can proceed for service.

We solicit your kind understanding in this regard.

Thanking you and assuring you best of our service support always.

With Warm Regards,

For Sony India P. Ltd.

P.Sushmitha

Regional Customer Relation

Customer Centric Division - Chennai

21-Jan-2014: To SONY INDIA (Mail no 2)

To: "SonyCare" <[email protected]>

Date: Jan 21, 2014

Your reply to my mail clearly reflects that you have not gone through the entire content of my mail. I myself am aware about the warranty period of the LED TV. I know that the repair/replacements are possible within a year of purchase. It is because that the limit had been crossed by 12 months time that I am sending you the request.

“Natural Electronic defect may happen in the Electronic products, in the course of time.” This is absolutely atrocious and irresponsible reply. I have informed you that I have provided all the necessary security systems that are required for the proper functioning of the TV. Inspite of such accessories if the TV gets faulted, the above-said reason cannot be accepted. The product is having gross manufacturing defect, that was the only fault and I shall not accept anything less than a complete replacement of the display panel free of cost.

Kindly refer to: h t t p : // e sup port.sony.com/p/news-it em.pl?template=EN%C2%AEion_id=1&news_id=441]Sony eSupp ort - Electronics - News & Ale rts. I know the VP had addressed the problem with 40” TV, but in my opinion, the same can now be applied for any of your TVs.

Also refer: h t t p : // ww w. c on sumercourt.in/television/34377-sony-bravia-lcd-problem-2. h t m l (complaint no.15040079‏). After reading the entire blog, do you still hold your point that every one had a Natural Electronic Defect? If you still hold ‘yes’, it surely infers that “Defective Sony Products” are marketed in India for bigger price due to brand name alone.

I am expressing my thoughts and request not to approve your estimate of repairing/replacing my LED display panel at my own cost, but to make sure that you rectify this issue by taking the full responsibility. I have also mentioned in my last mail that, “even if it is going to be of higher rate, we shall very well pay only the remaining amount and buy it. Else, kindly make sure that you replace the LED display panel free of cost.”

I am not in a position to understand the solution that you have provided. Kindly make sure that my obligations are considered with good results.

Reply from SONY on 22-Jan-2014 (Reply mail no 2) Jan 22, 2014 6:39 PM

Date: Jan 22, 2014 6:39 PM

Subject: RE:'SonyIndia=017-527-477'Fwd: Service request no: 17434214_Request for display panel replacement

To: "Sankara C R"

Dear Mr. Sankara,

Greetings from Sony India !

We thank you for patronizing Sony Products.

This is in reference to your email comunication regarding your BRAVIA Model: KDL-32EX420, Serial no: 2441948 purchased on 29-12-2011.

We understand your concern towards the service of your BRAVIA television.

As we have explained in our earlier communication, natural electronic failure may happen in a product. We offer one year of free service to our cusotmers. Beyond this, the service becomes chargeable.

The Display Panel needs to be replaced for satisfactory working of the set. The service estimation for your product is Rs. 14,371/-. We would again like to request you to approve the estimate so that we can proceed for service.

We are sorry and regret to inform you that we are unable to comply with your request.

Thanking you and assuring you best of our service support always.

With Warm Regards,

For Sony India P. Ltd.

P.Sushmitha

Regional Customer Relation

Customer Centric Division - Chennai

24-Jan-2014: To SONY INDIA (Mail no 3)

To: "SonyCare" <[email protected]> ; [email protected]; SONY Management India; SONY Management abroad

Date: Jan 24, 2014

A same kind of display panel problem for Bravia series was faced by another customer (complaint no.15040079‏) where the defective TV was 22 months old, we also found that you solved the disputes in favour of the consumer that were beyond the warranty period.

On 25th September 2013, SONY approved to replace the LCD panel FREE of cost for the TV purchased on 15-Oct-2011 for the Consumer Saikat Ganguly, pls refer (complaint no.15040079) h t t p : // ww w.cons um ercourt.in/television/34377-sony-bravia-lcd-problem-2 . h t m l

As my defective TV was 24 months, I am sending you the request. The problem was solved for 22 months TV, why don’t the management consider and solve the issue for 24 months TV? I hope my obligations are considered with good results

I am expressing my thoughts and request not to approve your estimate of repairing/replacing my LED display panel at my own cost, but to make sure that you rectify this issue by taking the full responsibility.

I have also mentioned in my last mail that, “even if it is going to be of higher rate, we shall very well pay only the remaining amount and buy a new TV. Else, kindly make sure that you replace the LED display panel free of cost”.

I got same sort of mail twice from regional customer relation-Chennai, sending an automated email and same content without looking into the issue and understanding the feeling from customer side. Thereafter no reply for my concern for my last mail. (Pls see the attached document)

There will be few months warranty for the new Panel even after getting it replaced. This is very bad. And apart from this if we go for replacements than what is the guarantee that the panel will not go bad again after few months warranty.

It means every year we should spend huge amount for service alone that too only for the manufacturing defect from your side and also poor quality?

Because we became SONY customers we should suffer every year? What is the solution?

Is this business etiquette?

What is the favour you do for your customers?

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Subject: RE:'SonyIndia=017-559-711' FW: SONY LED TV DISPLAY ISSUE

To: Sankara C R

Dear Mr. Sankara C R,

Greetings from Sony India.

Thank you for patronizing Sony products.

This is in response to your e-mail dated 23rd January 2014 to our Management in India and Abroad.

Thank you for writing to us and for bringing the matter to our notice. We note the contents of your mail with due attention and concern. We are asking our regional office to immediately look into the matter and expedite resolution at the earliest.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you and assure you of our best support and attention always.

Best Regards

For Sony India Pvt Ltd.

Meena Bose

Customer Relations - Corporate Office

New Delhi

Date: Jan 25, 2014 5:01 PM

Subject: Sony BRAVIA Model no: KDL-32EX420. Serial no: 2441948, purchased on 29th December 2011

Dear Mr. Sankara C R,

Greetings from Sony India. Thank you for patronizing Sony product.

This is in reference to your e-mails dated 23rd and 24th January 2014, addressed to our Management in India and Abroad, regarding the service of your Sony BRAVIA Model no: KDL-32EX420, Serial no: 2441948. purchased on 29th December 2011.

This is also in reference to the e-mails dated 20th and 22nd January 2014, sent by Ms. P.Sushmitha, Regional In-Charge Customer Care, regarding this matter.

We understand your concern towards the service of your Sony BRAVIA.

We received your service request for KDL-32EX420 for the symptom "No Picture". Upon inspection by our engineer from Authorized Service Center, M/S City Electronics Pvt. Ltd, Tirunelveli, it was found that the display panel needs to be replaced for satisfactory working of the TV. The estimate for this service is Rs 14,371/-. This has also been communicated in the e-mails sent by Ms. P.Sushmitha.

As a special treatment to you as our valued customer, we are offering you 1 Year of service warranty on the replaced panel, from the date of service.

Sony products are designed to have adequate ruggedness and undergo very stringent quality control while being manufactured. However, natural failure may happen in a product is course of time and this is reason why we offer 1 year of free service to our customers. Beyond this the service becomes chargeable.

This matter has been discussed with our management.

We regret that we are unable to comply with your request to service your product free of cost or to exchange your product. We would once again request you to kindly approve the estimate so that we can proceed for service. Kindly let us know your decision till 31st January 2014, as we shall keep this service request open till then.

Thanking you and assuring you of our best services always.

Warm Regards,

SONY India Pvt Ltd

Priyank Chauhan

Customer Relations -Corporate Office

New Delhi

To: "SonyCare" <[email protected]> ; [email protected]

Date: Jan 27, 2014

Dear Concerned,

Spending 40% of the original cost is too much money to be spent by me, belonging to a middle-class family, within a short period of buying my TV.

Thus, in spite of providing free service or product replacement, I wish and request that you consider giving the service at a discounted price in addition to the 1 year warranty that you have acknowledged.

I think that you will do a favor in this regard after such series of conversations that had been taking place for the past 7 days.

Thank you for understanding.

Warm regards

Sankara C R

Date: Jan 27, 2014

Subject: Sony BRAVIA Model no: KDL-32EX420. Serial no: 2441948, purchased on 29th December 2011

Dear Mr. Sankara C R,

Greetings from Sony India. Thank you for patronizing Sony product.

This is in reference to your e-mail dated 27th January 2014, addressed to us, regarding the service of your Sony BRAVIA Model no: KDL-32EX420, Serial no: 2441948, purchased on 29th December 2011.

This is also in reference to the letter dated 25th January 2014, sent by the undersigned, regarding this matter.

As explained in our last communication, the display panel needs to be replaced for satisfactory working of the TV. The estimate for this service is Rs 14,371/-. This has also been communicated in the letter sent by the undersigned. We offered you 1 Year of service warranty on the replaced panel, from the date of service.

This matter has been discussed with our management.

We regret that we are unable to comply with your request to provide discount in the service estimate.

We would once again request you to kindly approve the estimate so that we can proceed for service.

Kindly let us know your decision till 31st January 2014, as we shall keep this service request open till then.

Thanking you and assuring you of our best services always.

Warm Regards,

SONY India Pvt Ltd

Priyank Chauhan

Customer Relations -Corporate Office

New Delhi

Do SONY have any measurement for the said reason? “Natural failure may happen in a product is course of time.” The service engineer don’t even open up the TV. By just looking the TV without open up, I was surprised by the above comments and I completely agree that the quality of Sony product has been completely degraded. I have mentioned in my earlier mails that all the necessary security systems that are required for the proper functioning of the TV were provided.

I also mentioned in my earlier mail communications that If Sony still hold ‘yes’ for their atrocious reply “Natural electronic defect”, it surely infers that one and only “Defective SONY Products” are marketed in India for bigger price due to brand name alone.

When I went through the numerous open forums, there were too much similar type of Display panel complaints especially in SONY BRAVIA series and they people sending similar type of automatic reply. This is a universal problem with BRAVIA series and SONY recalled these units all over the world except INDIA. Even though SONY know very well this as a GLOBAL issue, by hiding their manufacturing defect and useless quality, SONY management decently refused to accept consumers True feedback about the non reliable SONY faulty products and worst kind of services. This is so called veiled CHEATING.

Hiding the above facts, Sony customer relation keep on writing the same point without knowing how to indicate a valid reason, this itself clearly reflects a negative thought about SONY.

SONY meant to say that they don’t receive/ hear any feedback about their defective TV? It won’t bring to their higher authorities notice? they don’t have any awareness? they don’t understand the screaming from customer’s side? Or they are not able to access those numerous forums? Why be a hypocrite?

Rather SONY always just makes customers to carry the burden of service at our own cost especially in India…! If SONY do so, theywon’t stay longer to retain Indian market in future especially Bravia Television.

People in this forum would just spread the awareness across the nation.

We take the burden of service at our own cost for the reason “fate of being as one of the SONY customer……!” As Indians we cant expect any product exchange, service for free of cost or discounted service in spite SONY can give you additional 1 year service warranty from the date of service.

Is this business etiquette?

:-(

Note: Thanks to SONY Consumer Mr. Saikat Ganguly for his detailed feedback and comment (He also affected in this similar kind of issue but SONY approved to replace the LCD panel FREE of cost for the TV purchased by him on 15-Oct-2011 (complaint no.15040079 ) h tt p :// w w w.c o n sumer court.in/television/34377-sony-bravia-lcd-problem-2 . h t m l

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom