Sony KDL 32EX403

kah22

I recently bought the Sony KDL 32EX403 and find it a pretty good telly.

However, I want to use it as more than a telly. Among other things I want to be able to watch films that I've stored on an external hard drive. Now I've discovered that you can't directly hook the HD into the Sony USB port (that would be to easy :D). Some say the HD has to much memory for the telly to cope with, others that it uses a different format, but I guess I can use a usb flash drive, or memory pen. And to be honest it's not that big of a hassle.

I going to buy a pen especially for this particular purpose and I'm tossed between the 4G and the 8G flash drive. The 4G pen will store 1 possible 2 movies but with the 8G depending on the size I'll definitely get two and possibly three. I might consider the 16G but wonder if like the external hard drive it would be to big for the telly to handle. Don't know :confused:

So is there any particular type of pen I should opt for, would a Sony flash drive give me any added advantages. They are dearer, granted, but I'm using up some Amazon vouchers so I don't really mind

Many thanks and feel free to add additional advice

Kevin

uktoppy

Standard Member
I have an 8gb cruzer plugged into my ex503 right now, and have watched a movie of it. I dont know about 403 mind.

kah22

I have an 8gb cruzer plugged into my ex503 right now, and have watched a movie of it. I dont know about 403 mind.

If it works on the 503 should work on the 403. How many movies can you actually get onto it?

Kevin

trickyharris

Standard Member
It can take any size HDD via USB, however as you said it only takes the FAT32 format.

FAT32 is limited to 4GB files, which most films are well within, unless you have a Blu-Ray file which can be double that (to overcome you would have to split the file into 2x4GB files, or just keep those on your computer and just connect the TV).

Re-formatting a HD is simple (should be able to right click on the drive - or google FAT32 formatting), but make sure you backup all your files before you start, then just transfer back and your done!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom