• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony KDL-32D3000 and Sky+

TA2112

Standard Member
The new TV looks great, but i seem to have a problem with digital.
On auto tune it will plug in analoge without a hitch, when i go to digital auto tune or manual it finds no channels at all.
Any help support or advise will be greatly appreciated !!:lease:

TA2112

Standard Member
Good question, this is all quite new to me, no, very new.
Perhaps i need someone to tell me how it all interlocks.
To my mind.......
I have a digital TV and Digital Sky+. Going through the menus on the TV it will tune in all available channels in the analoge mode, this does mean i have all the Sky channels i am subscribed to, including the freeview ones.

However, when i go to the digital auto tune it finds no channels at all, being digital now i thought it would plug the Sky signal at least.

Am i missing something or can you educate me, Cheers.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Right then, SKY connects from a dish to the SKY set top box and then via Scart to the TV, thats it.
Terrestial analogue and Digital Freeview come from your aerial on the roof and connect to the TV aerial input on the TV and do not need to go via the SKY box or the SKY box does not connect in any other way to the TV.

tdodd

Established Member
Am i missing something or can you educate me, Cheers.

The TV has an analogue tuner and a digital (Freeview) tuner built in. The signal for these is supplied from your aerial. You need to get the TV to scan/tune for all the analogue channels and all the digital (Freeview) channels separately. Depending on where you live and where your aerial is pointing you my get all, some or no digital (Freeview) channels.

Your Sky digital box is an entirely different thing. It gets its signal from the satellite dish. It is connected to your TV by the Scart lead to (probably) EXT 1 (External input 1), for example. To watch Sky there is no tuning involved. You simply switch the TV to the AV input - EXT 1/2/3 - and all further channel hopping is done with the Sky remote control and the Sky box. The TV just keeps staring at EXT 1, where the Sky box is.

TA2112

Standard Member
Many thanks Andy and tdodd for your time help, its becoming a little less mud like now.
However, going on from your comments tdodd about having the TV tune analogue and digital seperatly, i have done this with 100% success on analogue, but when i try tunning on the digital side it finds no channels.....this is whats REALLY BUGGING me.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
... I have done this with 100% success on analogue, but when i try tuning on the digital side it finds no channels.....this is what's REALLY BUGGING me.

What's the analogue picture like, particularly on CH5? Is it clear with no signs of noise (grainy), no ghosting etc.

If it's poor, then there's your problem (probably)

Remember was tdodd said in post5
"Depending on where you live and where your aerial is pointing you my get all, some or no digital (Freeview) channels."

Check to see which aerial is recommended by putting your postcode in here

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

Generally pessimistic but still a good indication

TA2112

Standard Member
Now then, i don't actually have an aerial. This goes back a long way when i had NTL as my cable supplier, my roof aerial was found down the road one morn' after a very noisy night....no problem as i recieve cable supply so i have not replaced. Got rid of NTL due to thier poor service and got Sky. My RF Terrestial service comes from the old NTL cable. Would you suggest this is a problem ?
I will check my Terrestial picture quality when i get back from work. Thanks all !!

tdodd

Established Member
I don't know what signal(s) NTL send down the pipes but it seems entirely plausible that there will be no digital terrestrial signal from their feed. Since you have Sky, why even worry? Sky has the highest bitrates and provides a picture superior to analogue, Freeview and NTL/Telewest - at least in my experience and seeing NTL/Telewest feeds at friends' houses.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Now then, i don't actually have an aerial. This goes back a long way when i had NTL as my cable supplier, my roof aerial was found down the road one morn' after a very noisy night....no problem as i recieve cable supply so i have not replaced. Got rid of NTL due to thier poor service and got Sky. My RF Terrestrial service comes from the old NTL cable. Would you suggest this is a problem ?

Well, yes:rotfl:

What you appear to be receiving on the analogue TV tuner is an old NTL analogue feed. Which channels do you receive? There could be a few others in addition to the 5 terrestrial analogue stations (BBC1/BBC2/ITV1/CH4/FIVE)
This is not a signal that the digital tuner would understand and, therefore, no channels will be found.
To be able to receive the Freeview (digital) signal from your local transmitter you *must* have a suitable aerial connected to the TV and not an analogue cable feed

TA2112

Standard Member
I have checked my terrestial reception, i recieve BBC 1 & 2, ITV, Ch 4, Ch 5 and QVC. All the pictures are of a very good standard as well.
Anyway, i've learned alot from you guys and as tdodd says, why worry too much, i've got Sky+ which with a bit of tweaking gives a fantastic picture and the channels you need.
Thanks again for your time.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom