Sony KDL-32BX330 (2012) -- can it mirror 2018 MacBook Air screen?

VitaminX

Novice Member
Hello -- I have a Sony KDL-32BX330. Yes, it's small and old but it works fine.

I want to mirror movies from my 2018 MacBook Air Retina to the Sony TV. I ran a new cable from the Macbook's USB-C/Thunderbolt port to the Sony's HDMI2 port. (TV is attached to cable TV; HDMI1 has a Roku attached to it.)

On the Sony, I cannot select HDMI2 as input. The HDMI2 entry in the list is flashing. TV and HDMI1 are lit up; others are grayed out. I can select TV (cable) or HDM11 (the Roku).

Does anyone know the significance of the HDMI2 choice flashing? This seems to me to be a partial recognition by the TV of the input.

The MacBook Air does not recognize the external monitor for mirroring. I've reset NVRAM and SMC, rebooted, etc. TV, cable, laptop are all rated for 60 hz

I swapped the Roku to HDMI1 to test it, it works. It's possible the cable isn't working -- or is mirroring a 2018 MacBook Air beyond the capacity of a 2012 Sony TV?

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator
This is more a computer question than a television question and might move this to computers.

Have you enabled display mirroring under system preferences > display. I do not know the exact language because my iMac is a very outdated model

VitaminX

Novice Member
Have you enabled display mirroring under system preferences > display. I do not know the exact language because my iMac is a very outdated model

My Mac OS (Mojave) doesn't offer the mirroring option unless it detects a second monitor. The Macbook Air doesn't detect the TV.

The TV seems to detect the HDMI cable, I'm assuming that's why the HDMI2 selection is blinking in the Sony Bravia menu. But maybe it's not available on the TV because there's no signal coming from the Macbook?

I tried switching USB3 ports on the MacBook with same result. Perhaps the cable is bad?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom