Sony KDL-26U2000 at Sainsburys.

neilmcl

Was in my local Sainsburys today and they have a load of Sony KDL-26U2000s going for £499, which seemed like a very good price. How good, if at all is this model and does it compare well with say the Toshiba 26WLT66.

M

Music2000

I haven't compared the two models directly, but this particular Sony model only has 1 HDMI input compared with the Toshiba's 2 HDMI inputs, though the Sony's PC VGA input is apparently superior to the Toshiba's by way of compensation. However if you can wait a month or two there could be a Sony KDL-26U2500 available which will have 2 HDMI inputs like the Toshiba, as well as having Sony's BRAVIA Engine picture quality enhancement system (which the 26U2000 doesn't have).

Also see this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405367 (Ignore the Dynamic Contrast feature that's mentioned: it's supposedly rubbish but thankfully it can be turned off!)

Therefore if you can wait a month or two and can afford a little more money, wait for the Sony 26U2500 that is likely to be available by February(and is unlikely to be too much dearer), but if you simply can't wait or you have no need for two HDMI sockets then the 26U2000 is well worth considering - £499 is an excellent price for the Sony and you can buy a lot worse for the same amount of money.

nigel2shady

I bought one off those Last Friday have it nearly a week now myne is a 32 inch,I got myne for £850 and a nice galss stand threw inn,after having the TV nearly a week I am really pleased with it very easy to use and great pics with my sky digi box...Dvds look class this is my first LCD TV and really pleased with it..Love it and has very good spec aswell...

Pic and details below,I did not buy from Comet was local shop...Allthough myne is 32 inch will be the same telly..Myne is KDL-32U2000

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=344087

triplea4uk

I haven't compared the two models directly, but this particular Sony model only has 1 HDMI input compared with the Toshiba's 2 HDMI inputs, though the Sony's PC VGA input is apparently superior to the Toshiba's by way of compensation. However if you can wait a month or two there could be a Sony KDL-26U2500 available which will have 2 HDMI inputs like the Toshiba, as well as having Sony's BRAVIA Engine picture quality enhancement system (which the 26U2000 doesn't have).

Also see this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405367 (Ignore the Dynamic Contrast feature that's mentioned: it's supposedly rubbish but thankfully it can be turned off!)

Therefore if you can wait a month or two and can afford a little more money, wait for the Sony 26U2500 that is likely to be available by February(and is unlikely to be too much dearer), but if you simply can't wait or you have no need for two HDMI sockets then the 26U2000 is well worth considering - £499 is an excellent price for the Sony and you can buy a lot worse for the same amount of money.

This is Sony the new model will be like £700 how is that worth paying extra for.

apukdcfc

Anyone else get one off those Tellys

I've got the Sony KDL-26U2000. It's my first LCD and i'm well impressed.

Having Freeview builtin is great, no extra plugs or cables for a start, and the signal is great!

PQ seems great compared to what i had before (a 17" CRT!!) and the sound is also pretty impressive (20watts w/virtual surround)

I have hooked it to a HXD860 DVD/HDD recorder and use HDMI but have found some small annoyances...

when using the HDMI cable it takes a few seconds to switch to the DVD Recorder but SCART switching is instantaneous ..is this a HDMI thing or a Sony thing??

also when the DVD recorder is put into standby it doesnt switch back to a channel on the TV when using HDMI but if you use a SCART cable (on AV1 for instance) it does.

also SMARTLINK doesnt work through HDMI only when using a SCART.

I presume HDMI is so new they have forgotten to add little features that you take for granted but overall its a nice LCD for the bedroom! :D

leedsunited

Standard Member
Bought one myself from Sainsbury's last night, got my brother to do some searching on internet as i stood in store, could not find a unit anywhere else cheaper.

As for quality i am really impressed only down side is you have to spend a fair bit of time getting contrast, brightness ect set up and if anybody has any good reccomended settings please post.

As said in earlier poste great price, greta unit and ideal 2nd set for bedroom.

steven_9709

Hi

Interested to here any further comments on this TV, with my 15% discount making the price £425 it's very tempting!

Anyhone else care to comment?

Reaperman

Anyone else on here get one off those tellys

Me......:cool:

Have been looking for a TV for the Kitchen for ages to replace my ageing 14" CRT...

This is a cracking deal 26" HD + FV and all the connections you could ever want..Just set it all up and I have to say the PQ is just perfect....and at £499 its a "steal"....Well done Sainbury....!

neilmcl

Although you can now also get the new Sharp LC26SD1E for £499 at Currys and the Toshiba 26WLT66 for £554 at comet.

triplea4uk

I didn't mean that sort of info I meant user info how it runs connected to different sources.

I should of worded it better.

Beertiger

Standard Member
Anyone know what resolutions the VGA input on this can take? It doesn't take 1280x720 over VGA because the XVGA2+ doesn't work. Gonna have to take this one back.

hidef

Standard Member
you may be interested to know that as of 10am tomorrow, ie Xmas Eve the 32" model is instore at a price of £699. There are very few of them compared to the 26" so be quick if like this brand/model.
Will be larger stores only.:thumbsup:

AiEri

Ive just pick one of these up.

Any one can direct me to better picture settings...the picture doesnt looks great (SD)

thx

Reaperman

Ive just pick one of these up.

Any one can direct me to better picture settings...the picture doesnt looks great (SD)

thx

AiEri
What's Freeview like..?

I have the following set;
Picture Mode > Custom
Backlight > 5
Contrast > 55
Brightness > 50
Colour > 40
Sharpness > 0
Colour Tone > Warm
Noise Reduction > Low
Power Saving > Reduce

Hope that helps...

ijd

can anybody help with the sky + remote code for this set, i cant see it listed on the sky page:eek: , maybe i need glasses but in the maentine would appreciate some help.:smashin:

AiEri

ive plug this set to my laptop (via vga)...but the only resolution i can get is 1024x768 (@60hz) - its not even a 'wide-screen' resolution... so full screen stretches it.

how can i get a 'wide' resolution?
(1-1 mapping would be good :p)

...btw whats VGA, SVGFA, XGA and WXGA??

ijd

Nice one....how do you reprogram the RCU..?

on sky remote....
Press . TV
then press.. select & the red button together until the L E D flashes twice,
input 981 and then press select the led again flashes twice to confirm programming,
remember to press sky button wen you want to use as sky remote.

ijd

I bought this set from sainsburys today to replace the 15 inch in the bedroom.
I am very impressed with the colour and image quality, spent most of the evening up there away from my beloved Aquos.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware