Sony KDFE50A12 - The 1 Hour Review.

K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
Just back from the Sony Store and here are my findings:

1. Pleasant looking TV set - thinner than most DLPs.
2. OKAY Black Levels, demoed Gladiator DVD and it could not handle the dark scenes at all - especially at the beginning battle when it's blue, the colors looked terrible.
3. Great Menu system - very customisable.
4. Brought my own copy of HQV benchmarking DVD and it failed on nearly all tests asides from the Cadence test where it performed 10/10.
5. Perfect picture in 1080i - as to be expected.
6. NO DOT CRAWL! (Yippee) and the picture through RF as many folk has said matched the more expensive 50 inch plasma at 5800 quid.
7. As echoed before, not as good black levels as Samsung L7 - yet to see the L6 in the flesh.

My Conclusion:

At 1399 this screen was great value considering it has 3 years warranty, free delivery but I decided against buying this TV, the girlfriend laughed when it was running the HQV benchmarking DVD and the salesman looked embarassed as it failed nearly all the tests! The L7 kills the Sony in the fact that the colors on the L7 look A LOT more vibrant and the blacks are much deeper on the Samsung L7 for example.

I myself don't suffer from Rainbows and am probably going to settle on the 50L6 for 1305 from Pixmania (calling now to see if it comes with the stand)

Overall, a good alternative if you see lotsa rainbows - but if not, your MUCH better off going for a DLP and get better colors (more realistic looking) and much better Black Levels!
 

daKlone

Active Member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
My Conclusion:

At 1399 this screen was great value considering it has 3 years warranty, free delivery but I decided against buying this TV, the girlfriend laughed when it was running the HQV benchmarking DVD and the salesman looked embarassed as it failed nearly all the tests! The L7 kills the Sony in the fact that the colors on the L7 look A LOT more vibrant and the blacks are much deeper on the Samsung L7 for example.
I'm not familiar with this "HQV Benchmarking DVD", but have you also run it on said L7? What were the results?
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
Haven't run it on the L7 cause I wouldn't buy it (No DVI)

The DVD: http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

But generally i look at THAT many TVs you get quite a feel for whats good and whats bad - the Sony was average to good, the girlfriend didn't like it at all.

The Noise Reduction was OKAY, Cadence Detection was Perfect, Detail Enhancement was Good and De-Interlacing was SHOCKING.

My first impression after sitting down was that the colors looked washed out - unimpressive to start already and this turned out to be true.

As in there was a picture of a yellow flower and the yellow didn't look that yellow at all.
 

daKlone

Active Member
That HQV thing looks interesting...

Have you run it on any other TVs at all?

What sort of results do you generally get?

And when you say "Perfect Picture in 1080i", does that mean that the other comments do not apply when displaying HD material?
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
Ran it on my ex-Sagem 56B, generally poor all round with Noise being the most shocking issue - ran it on the Sagem 45 also and that was an utter joke - Sagem's colors were better than the Sony but just walking past the L7 in John Lewis it couldn't match the Samsung sharper and more crisp colors even on a RF/DVD feed!

Most DLPs will be better than the Sony but the Sony is a Sony, 3 Year Guarantee and all that but seriously, reflecting on it now, the Colors were Crap to say the least.

The BEST that I've SEEN so far is the Samsung 50L7, but I've heard the L6 is better and that is pretty much the TV I will be buying soon (50L6, 1311 Delivered Pixmania) People on AVForums love it's little Brother the 46L6 and for that many folk to love it must mean something.

Plus if the L7 is anything to go by then I am pretty impressed (sides from the lack of a DVI input)
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
daKlone said:
That HQV thing looks interesting...

Have you run it on any other TVs at all?

What sort of results do you generally get?

And when you say "Perfect Picture in 1080i", does that mean that the other comments do not apply when displaying HD material?
I've only run it on DLPs and that Sony so far.

I just think it's unfair to even rank something on HD Material cause it's not realistic. HDTV is quote a number of months away and even then the programming in HDTV will be limited for ages.

HDTV looks pretty on almost any set ( asides from the Sagem 56 and the 45 which had NOISE on 1080i material! ).

It's just not practical judging the set on it's ability to play HDTV stuff, most people will be 1. Watching TV the most 2. Watching loads of DVDs and rarely will they fire up a HTPC with .TS HDTV material - like once or twice a week will someone HDTV...

It's like talking about a Ferrari that can go OH so fast, but when it's stuck in Traffic like everyone else, it suddenly doesn't look so fast...
 

daKlone

Active Member
Have you not actually seen/tested an L6 then? Isn't it a bit risky buying one without checking it "in the flesh" first?

I wonder how the Sony would get on with a scaler feeding it on a strict diet of 720p...
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
daKlone said:
I wonder how the Sony would get on with a scaler feeding it on a strict diet of 720p...
Now that's an idea!

I never thought about it that way, but if that were to work, I would expect fantastic!

On HDTV the Sony came alive - it really impressed me on that but no more than any other TV running an HDTV loop - but thinking about it a bit more, even the Sagem had a better color than the Sony, the colors REALLY did looked washed out and on HDTV it was great but not perfect.

And the HDTV today was through Component and it was nice.
 

neilmcl

Well-known Member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
4. Brought my own copy of HQV benchmarking DVD and it failed on nearly all tests asides from the Cadence test where it performed 10/10.
I really don't see the point of going this far unless you're trying to do some sort of scientific test or magazine review to determine which is better. Why not just use your own eyes, if it looks good then surely that should be enough.
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
I use it cause it has a bunch of different videos on it.

I.e. Bright Scenes, Dark Scenes, Still Scenes, Vibrant Color Scenes...

On the topic whether it was enough, I walked away without buying it and the Girlfriend was happy I didn't. So.
 

neilmcl

Well-known Member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
I use it cause it has a bunch of different videos on it.

I.e. Bright Scenes, Dark Scenes, Still Scenes, Vibrant Color Scenes...
You didn't originally say that though, you implied that you use it to run the various tests hence my post.
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
It's fine - and incidentally it has all those Tests to give you an idea whether it is a "good" tv according to I presume the textbook defintion.

On that regard as mentioned it failed most everything.

So, It's Samsung 50L6 for me.
 

Razor

Distinguished Member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
I just think it's unfair to even rank something on HD Material cause it's not realistic. HDTV is quote a number of months away and even then the programming in HDTV will be limited for ages.

HDTV looks pretty on almost any set ( asides from the Sagem 56 and the 45 which had NOISE on 1080i material! ).

It's just not practical judging the set on it's ability to play HDTV stuff, most people will be 1. Watching TV the most 2. Watching loads of DVDs and rarely will they fire up a HTPC with .TS HDTV material - like once or twice a week will someone HDTV...

It's like talking about a Ferrari that can go OH so fast, but when it's stuck in Traffic like everyone else, it suddenly doesn't look so fast...

kmhtkmhtkmht

I agree with what you say. There are so many different levels of HD out there at the moment. Some great and some poor. The difference between HD Divx and .TS files is huge also the Bitrate has a large part to play with picture quality.

Also we are not used to HD so we would find it very hard to bench mark the picture we see. Yes it may look very good but there may better HD movie/samples out there. I have had 2 versions of Gladiator 1080i one 13 gig and the other 22gig. The difference was there. But if you only saw the 13gig file you would think it was amazing, put on the 22gig file and you will again be amazed at the difference between the 2 files. The larger file seems to have more depth and better deeper colours, the panning is also far smoother.

For me at the moment I would only demo a set on SD material as we have been watching this format for many, many years. By all means wack on a HD demo and start grinning. :D But for me SD for evaluation process.

One thing I think will be an issue with HD is how it copes with scalling a 1080i imagine to a 720p. :rolleyes:

BTW nice looking set up disc (I recon I will bag one) sounds a good disc to take demoing. Also cheers for the report on the Sony. I feared the LCD would struggle with Blacks.

Good luck on your new tv. :thumbsup:

:D
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
I've yet to see the 46 (or least i think I have not) but the Pauley loves his sammy 46 to bits.

This Makro 1175 I think is a myth... I certainly can't get it at the price.
 

jwramsay

Active Member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
I've yet to see the 46 (or least i think I have not) but the Pauley loves his sammy 46 to bits.

This Makro 1175 I think is a myth... I certainly can't get it at the price.
No myth, I know someone who got one from the Edinburgh branch.
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
Well I'm in Edinburgh - at that price it's not bad but still not perfect (for me)

I'm most probably going to buy it from Pixmania at 1311 (SP50L6) if it comes with the stand.
 

shodan

Distinguished Member
PDP-434HDE said:
No myth, I know someone who got one from the Edinburgh branch.
Thats hearsay...
 

Beertiger

Standard Member
neilmcl said:
I really don't see the point of going this far unless you're trying to do some sort of scientific test or magazine review to determine which is better. Why not just use your own eyes, if it looks good then surely that should be enough.
That my view on the whole thing but I mainly tested it for HD because that's what it will be used for.

As a test DVD though I didn't go for one of these fancy shmancy test things but used Finding Nemo, XBMC upscaling to 720p and my eyes. It looked lush after setting it up correctly.
 

bigdave2k

Standard Member
Beertiger said:
That my view on the whole thing but I mainly tested it for HD because that's what it will be used for.

As a test DVD though I didn't go for one of these fancy shmancy test things but used Finding Nemo, XBMC upscaling to 720p and my eyes. It looked lush after setting it up correctly.

So how do you use XBMC to upscale?
 

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Huawei launches Google-less Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom