Sony KDFE50A12 & Sony NS76HS Component/Progressive Problem

U

Unholymoondog

Hi Everyone

I have a problem with the progressive scan setting on the Sony NS76HS using component output to my Sony KDFE50A12. The picture breaks up every 15 secs or so but only on the progressive setting (Orange LED lit) The picture is fine on RGB scart and HDMI and it looks as if there is some sort of DRM issue going on.

The problem is not with the DVD player as I have had a replacement with the same result. They DVD players have also been tested on other TV's OK (In the currys shop, making me look like a right idiot :suicide: )

So the fault lies with the TV, you would then think that this would be straight forward and the component inputs are faulty??? Well I have another progressive scan DVD player a Kiss DP1000 which works fine. My telewest TVDrive is also ok through the component inputs. I have changed cables, disconnected everything else and tried just about everything I can think of.

I contacted Sony and explained the problem to them, they said that there should be no problems between the tv and the DVD player and that the component outputs of the DVD player has no DRM. They could not understand what was going on as another DVD player has no probs, but that the TV was probably faulty.

I just wondered if anyone else has got this combination and had a similar problem ? Any ideas of anything else that I can try ?

If I don't get this sorted I am going to be left in the loving care of "MASTERCARE" again :thumbsdow :suicide: :(

I have already had one engineer out who said that it had to play via the HDMI due to the digital rights, but I know that this is not the case. The guy from Sony said that was C*"p.

The picture breaks up in the exact same pattern every 15 seconds or so and lasts for 4 seconds. This happens on any Copyrighted DVD. I have burnt some HD demos to disk and these play without a problem ??

Is there something wrong with the DRM of the TV ?????

Thanks ;)

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
There is no Digital Rights Management on Component. Component is an analogue protocol anyway.

However it MAY be that the TV is reacting badly to Macrovision (an analogue copy protection scheme) which is conveyed by Component (or any other analogue protocol).

In the case of DVDs, Macrovision is added by the player to its analogue outputs when an instruction flag is present on a disc. It may be that the Kiss adds this to a lower level (or not at all) than the Sony player which would explain the different behaviours. As to which device is out of spec (player or TV) that's anyone's guess......

U

Unholymoondog

Thanks Nigel :)

That would seem to make sense, it is almost certainly a copyright protection issue, you would expect that Sony equipment would work fine together. Sony know of no such probs with these two hooked up together, so the TV is probably faulty.

Has anyone else got this combination of this TV and DVD ? Does any one else suffer with this issue through the progressive setting on component input ???

I have a mastercare engineer coming tomorrow :rotfl: I just know he is not going to have a clue what is going on ! Mind you he MAY surprise me !!

I'm about to call Sony again to see if they can help me a bit more.

Update......

Well I have rang Sony customer service and they can offer no further help :( I have no other option now but to get involved with Mastercare and hope that they can sort it out :(

There must be someone out there running these two together ??

U

Unholymoondog

Well the Mastercare engineer has been and gone, it was the same one from the other day and he didn't seem that impressed :D

Anyway there were no arguments and I now have a returns number, but they have no more of the KDFE50A12's in stock :thumbsdow :(

I will have to contact my local Currys and see if they can order a replacement.

There must be someone with the same setup ? Anyone ? I just want to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

W

watzcoc

I had a similar problem with my xbox360 through component.
At first i thought it was the tv but everything checks out.

I read your thread and that has confirmed that what i'm experiencing is an issue with component and copy protection??

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Unholymoondog said:
Well the Mastercare engineer has been and gone, it was the same one from the other day and he didn't seem that impressed :D

Anyway there were no arguments and I now have a returns number, but they have no more of the KDFE50A12's in stock :thumbsdow :(

I will have to contact my local Currys and see if they can order a replacement.

There must be someone with the same setup ? Anyone ? I just want to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

might be a blessing in disguise as there is a new version out,they should offer you the new model that only came out last week (kdf50e2010):thumbsup:

mjbtin

Just a thought can you set the player to interlaced and let the screen do the deinterlacing instead of the player .

Regards Martin:)

mjbtin

scooby do

What output mode was you playing back with on the sony. Not sure if the DVD is an upscaling with this information I will try on mine. And also what film and region was it

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom