Sony KDFE50A12 red tint

dyingtime

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have started to notice that the bottom left of my screen has a red tint to a black screen. This only happens on black no other colours have this red tint, also it is not constant.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes I have. It's something to do with the optics of the set.
If you move about in front of the set does the tint also move slightly?
If you have the contrast and/brightness set fairly low this will make it show more.
I now have my contrast set at 60 and brightness at 55 which does appear to help and I now notice it only very occasionally.
I had this really bad on the first set I had and Comet exchanged it.
If you have had your set less than 28 days it is easy to get it exchanged. If over 28 days an engineer will need to give approval. But another set may be just the same.

I havent noticed this on mine.
Maybe its just individual sets that suffer and not a problem accross the range?

thed said:
I havent noticed this on mine.
Maybe its just individual sets that suffer and not a problem accross the range?

thed
It would be very interesting for you to try the following.
Turn the contrast to min and the brightness to 50.
Put something on in black&white (preferably with some darkish grey in it) and sit to one side slightly.
Check if you can see a different colour hue anywhere.
I'd be, and I'm sure others would be, interested to know the result.
Thanks.

After playing around with settings it would seem the red tint is caused by having the brightness set above 60 as it disapears at any value below this. My settings have not changed for a few months so it maybe that my set has brightened up since purchase as settings around the 50 mark are what the 60 mark used to produce.

Tried what you said bat man - still cant see a red tint :confused:

My settings are -

Contrast - 70
Brightness - 53
Colour - 50
Sharpness - 15

Ive settled on these settings and they look good for every source (in my eyes) :)

thed said:
Tried what you said bat man - still cant see a red tint :confused:

My settings are -

Contrast - 70
Brightness - 53
Colour - 50
Sharpness - 15

Ive settled on these settings and they look good for every source (in my eyes) :)

Jolly good. :smashin:

PS: What do you have your auto iris set at? I find that, at max, it is too noticeable in operation and at mid it is not too intrusive but blacks suffer just a tad.

Yes I have. It's something to do with the optics of the set.
If you move about in front of the set does the tint also move slightly?
If you have the contrast and/brightness set fairly low this will make it show more.
I now have my contrast set at 60 and brightness at 55 which does appear to help and I now notice it only very occasionally.
I had this really bad on the first set I had and Comet exchanged it.
If you have had your set less than 28 days it is easy to get it exchanged. If over 28 days an engineer will need to give approval. But another set may be just the same.

Hey, did changing the set really have an effect? I have this problem, and the set was sen to repair once. They could not see the problem at the repair shop, and even I went there to see it, and the problem was gone. When the set arrived home again, there it was, the problem was back.

I still have a few months of warrantee, and am thinking if I should send it to be looked at again. The repairshop that is close to me, is not sony certified any more, so sending it off would take a long time.

Some other characteristics of the problem:
Reddness and size of the red area are affected by the Iris. If I set contrast to min, brightness to max and iris to max, the red area can be seen, even though it is usually visible only on gray objects.
Mostly noticable only on black and white images or gray images.
Red area is not red when the set is first turned on, but only presents itself when the set is fully started (the lamp at its brightest). This takes very little time, but if there is a suitable test image shown from some input already when the tv is turned on, it can be seen.
Reddness of the area seems to change over time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom