Quantcast

Sony KDFE50A12 part 2

LV426

Administrator
Staff member

Flugel Hound

Mine is pants now too - can barely see it during the day.

Havent found the exact model number but its around £100 here NEW SONY XL-2100E DLP LCD BULB TV LAMP 2100U XL 5200 on eBay, also, Other TV Accessories, TV Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 11-Mar-09 13:37:14 GMT)

Someone else quotes £200 using these model numbers KDF E50A12U
Rear projection TV contains 1 Lamp(s) 2000 hours, 120 / 100 Watts, UHP (F93087500 / A1129776A / XL-2400 / A1127024A)

£200 is taking the p - its only a 100w LAMP for gawd sake!!!

Do you reckon that would fit?

D

Flugel Hound

niknik

Novice Member
What would be nice would be to have a LED based lamp replacement that would last 10x!

:)

As for the lamp, has no one found a supplier to get it for under £100?

freestyle

Standard Member
Sorry to drag this thread up but im still quite content with my RP so was wondering if anyones done a successful bulb upgrade as i think mines on its way out and dont know if i want to shell out yet for a 50"+ lcd.

Rizza

Got mine replaced by John Lewis under warranty if that helps, still happy enough with it :)

Rizza

equaliser

Standard Member
Hi Freestyle,

Changed mine about 3 months ago. Must have been going for a while as I noticed that the bottom left corner had a purple hew when seeing anything with a blue background. The bulb actualy failed. When replaced the screen was a lot brighter and the hew had gone.

Replacing the bulb was dead easy. Make sure you wear cotton gloves or use a cloth when handling the bulb.

To answer your next question I know your going to ask I cant remember where I got the bulb from. It was of the net at just over £100.

I wayed up if it was worth getting the bulb or a new TV as it was about 5yrs old. Decided to get the bulb and get a few more years out of it, then ditch. As you say theres nothing realy bad about them!!!

cheers

Eq

niknik

Novice Member
A link to anyone supplying a replacement bulb for a good price would be nice.
Mine is also starting to look dim after 5 years of use.

(I have just bought a 50" FullHD plasma last week; but still have use for my trusted old Sony - which, with a new lamp, would look as good as new :)

Just one other question, does the TV clears the lamp timer when we replace it, or must it be done manually via the service menu?

niknik

Novice Member
Well, seem to have find a suitable one at a nice price on ebay UK, going to order it.

Now... can anyone supply the instructions to enter service mode and reset the lamp timer?
(I know I had it stored somewhere, knowing I would need it - but can't find it... :(

freestyle

Standard Member
Now... can anyone supply the instructions to enter service mode and reset the lamp timer?
(I know I had it stored somewhere, knowing I would need it - but can't find it... :(
Silly question.... but why does the lamp timer need resetting?

niknik

Novice Member
Silly question.... but why does the lamp timer need resetting?
Well, some ppl are getting a "end-of-lamp" warning on their TV sets (I'm not getting it yet, but will probably see one when the lamp time counter gets there.)

So, better be safe than sorry, and reset the lamp timer as it's supposed to be.

Amrit

Standard Member
Hey guys I thought id share my experience today replacing the bulb on my KDFE50A12.

So heres the story....
Got a near 5 year old (said 10 years before i edited lol) KDFE50A12(got the bad boy when it came out) with the original bulb still running!!!! THATS RIGHT LOL!!!
Iv got some miracle bulb that is run 15hours a day for 5 years!!!!27375hours!!!
Its dim but still bareable!
So recently we needed another tv for somewhere else. I found someone selling a KFDE42A12 for pants since they didnt know how to replace the bulb.
So got that and then got a xl2400 from ebay for £99.00 a genuine phillips bulb that sony give. It was without the housing though which at first I was worried about but didnt know how easy it was swapping it about!

Firstly though as i removed the working but dim housing from the 50A12 i notice a smokey kind of mist on the internal part of the lens that focuses the light of the bulb onto the optical block!
Thought it was dust till i opened it and noticed it was stuck on it quite firmly! After alot of cotton wool and some application of fairy i got most of it off!
I shoved this housing in the 42A12 and I was amazed at how much brighter it was after giving it a clean.
Anyone know why this misty thing occured and how i can completely get rid of it?

Anyway I used the housing of the 42A12 and put the new xl2400 inside it and started to place it in the 50A12....*SNAP*
I shat myself after hearing it...

I managed to push it a tad too hard (been working out the guns:p) and managed to snap off the male power connectors board under the optical block that connects to the housings connections!

HAd to open the back panel and then a metal plate which gave me nice access to that block. Luckly the join that holds the board to the optical block snapped and not the board itself!
Bit of DIY and secured it in place!THANK GOD!
Was a bit of a fiddle because it was so hot today and was fustrating lol.

Switched on the tv.....and I couldnt believe it how bright it was....like it was just bought yesterday (the whole thing:p)

I bought the bulb from don juresh his shop is xl-2400 or xl2400 something like that for 99 pounds on ebay. It is a genuine phillips which is what sony uses.
I was going to get it from abroad but ill probably end up paying more due to tax on imports!

Final words are....WOW...this model was wicked 5years ago and I still think is on par with most modern tv's!!!

Quick question to people: what do you think that misty thing was on the lens? Its not fully gone but overall the lens is much more transparent and picture is defin brighter! As i said used fairy liquid and that still didnt remove it all! Any advice?
Also I didnt reset the timer...didnt know you had to can someone confirm if you do and if so how?

PS. Removing the first outer grey panel gave me access to the fan! Its smaller than a 120mm and maybe smaller than a 92mm.
Might buy a decent fan with a good air flow to cool it down nicely and make it last longer! MIght even see if i can get my hands on one of those delta fans since I wont be able to hear it over the sound.

Anyway hope my story was interesting and helped:smashin:

Last edited:

Rizza

The TV's were released about 5 years ago, you couldn't possible get a 10yr old model.

Rizza

ewankirky

Standard Member
My KDFe50a12u always goes to the DTV channel when I take it off standby - as SKYHD doesn't automatically flick to the HDMI channel is there any way I can set the TV to always start up on the HDMI channel?

Thanks,
Ewan

nealb

Novice Member
Anyone help with this un.

I replaced the bulb about a month and doesn't seem much brighter than the old one. I've also got 2 slightly blue patches at the top corners of the screen.

I've got the brightness and contrast turned up again (about 60 I think) and the iris set to off. The picture doesn't look very sharp at all even on HD.

Would cleaning the bulb housing lens maybe cure the brightness issue? And maybe the slight blue patches?

Cheers in advance.

Rizza

My KDFe50a12u always goes to the DTV channel when I take it off standby - as SKYHD doesn't automatically flick to the HDMI channel is there any way I can set the TV to always start up on the HDMI channel?

Thanks,
Ewan
I use harmony a remote control to manage inputs.

Rizza

Rizza

Just noticed a colour blob on the top right corner of the screen, I'm so glad I bought this with JL who have already changed the lamp under their 5 year warranty which expires at the end of this year. I'll give them a ring tomorrow :)

Rizza

quietlife

Just dug this thread from the archives! :)

My Tv had it's optical block replaced under the (Sony) warranty about 18 months ago. Picture has deteriorated somewhat lately and with a month left on the warranty, the TV has been checked and they've ordered me a new bulb. They reckoned the original bulb is still in the TV. So hopefully, another five years use out of it.

Rizza

Had my bulb replaced last year under warranty but the new one's not held up like the original, unfortunately it's now out of warranty, so methinks it's time move on, but boy, there's so much jargon out there i don't even know where to start.

Rizza

quietlife

I've just bought a LG 50PK790 plasma and it's great. Paid half the price of the Sony when it was new.

The Sony has been relegated to the conservatory and is used by the kids for Xbox play. They can't believe they've got a 50" TV just for that. :laugh:

Bluc89a

Standard Member
Will replacing the optical block under warranty fix this blue cloud effect? (image borrowed from another user - mine is worse as the blue cloud takes up about 40% of the screen right in the middle).

JL are saying that it's not repairable and are currently only offering me an unacceptable residual value.