Sony KDFE50A12 part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

:lesson:
Forgive me for any mistakes/repeated queeries as im new to the forum. I have been following this thread and researching the KDFE50A12 For around 2 weeks, I have had 2 demos in Comet and 1 in the Lincoln Sony Centre of both HD and RGB material; I like the looks, sound, and price of the TV in question, the picture quality seems great to me but admittedly I am an amateur in the AV world (Current set is a Panasonic 32” with a £50 Sony DVD player) :suicide: I am 90% sure the KDFE50A12 is the set to start me off in the AV world. If I can get these questions sorted I am hoping to buy it tomorrow.

1.Is it possible to play DVD’s in HD? Is there a method of up-rating them whilst playing through a pc or is this is not possible as the data is simply not there in the first place (if you know what I mean). Can this be done through the DVP-NS92V DVD player?

2.I have a high spec silent PC with a 9800 pro GC, if I were to link this to the TV using the DVI out would the image fill the screen/ be displayed at the correct resolution/native res of the TV? Would I have to apply a patch/driver? And will doing this damage the TV

3.The TV comes with a VGA input, I know this is analog but to me it just seems mad that sony did not make this DVI, is there any particular reason?

Any information on these questions would be great and assist in helping me get a good setup. Again, apologies for repeated questions/questions in the wrong forum but this forum seems to be clued up on all areas of AV :) .

Many thanks
Steve

step1528 said:
Hi all,

1.Is it possible to play DVD’s in HD? Is there a method of up-rating them whilst playing through a pc or is this is not possible as the data is simply not there in the first place (if you know what I mean). Can this be done through the DVP-NS92V DVD player?

Many DVD players will upscale standard DVD to HD. It depends how good the equipment is as to how close the upscaled picture gets to HD. The Sony DVP-NS92V does upscale but I would go for the Denon 1920 myself.

2.I have a high spec silent PC with a 9800 pro GC, if I were to link this to the TV using the DVI out would the image fill the screen/ be displayed at the correct resolution/native res of the TV? Would I have to apply a patch/driver? And will doing this damage the TV

3.The TV comes with a VGA input, I know this is analog but to me it just seems mad that sony did not make this DVI, is there any particular reason?
Any information on these questions would be great and assist in helping me get a good setup. Again, apologies for repeated questions/questions in the wrong forum but this forum seems to be clued up on all areas of AV :) .

Many thanks
Steve

Sony gives the option of HDMI or VGA to connect your PC. I'm no PC tech but you should be able to use a DVI-HDMI converter cable or straight VGA.
You shouldn't have any problems with running the PC through the Sony and no need worry about screen burn either.

Cheers
Lee

Thanks for the quick reply Lee, i think this is the TV for me :) , ill take a look at the Denon 1920 over the weekend. Im going to the sony centre at lunch to see what deal they offer.

cant wait to get one:D

Mine's arriving tonight so i'm pretty excited too. Will post back over the weekend once i've had a play.

I thought it wasnt possible to run HD through VGA as its an analog? if this can be donei could convert DVI>VGA and connect directly to the TV at a resolution of 3.2 megapixels?

Component input is analouge but will run HD.

You should be able to run 1280X720 though the VGA input as far as i know.

Probably know more later today. TV hasn't arrived yet.

Cheers
Lee

Come on Howard, come on Lee.. Get your sets and get them set up and reviews done! I'm gagging to go and get one of these!!!!

I run 1080 out to my CRT projector currently.
This comes from my computers graphics card (VGA) so yeah it will work.

Once/if I get this TV I'm just planning on making the neccessary adjustments on powerstrip to fill the 720 resolution...simple!... :rolleyes:

My Projector is analogue and it's obviously HD compatable, and the only means of getting signal to that is via an analogue connection so HD is not exclusive to digital, though I can't comment on how the likes of Sky will decide to transport the HD signal from their sets as thats a different story

shodan said:
Come on Howard, come on Lee.. Get your sets and get them set up and reviews done! I'm gagging to go and get one of these!!!!

No sign of it yet. :(

Bored silly today, I have to stay in for the delivery but have no TV and no sound system as it's all stripped down to get the new TV in.
I've got my laptop and a little transitor radio for company.

I've got TV's in other rooms but as all my AV gear is disconnected they haven't got a picture on either.

Might have to get a book out at this rate. ;)

Cheers
Lee

cheers for the help guys, i just got back from the sony centre and i am picking mine up tomorrow morning :D :D :D

£1300 with 3 year warrenty.....should realy do some work now :rolleyes:

Just a bit of forward thinking here.. (If I don't get this TV I'm going to be gutted!!!). I'll be squirting the higher res PS2 (replaced PS 3 eventually) and DVD through it and I know the Sony has a built in Freeview tuner but I like my Pace Twin so want to use that. I know I can convert the SCART to componant and feed it into the amp then into the TV via Companent, which is what I'll be boing with all the video sources, but will it give a higher res on the Freeview as well or just the same as SCART only through the component input? Does that make sense???

Lee

Has it arrived yet?

Can you let me know the height between shelves?

Cheers

Simon

simon1 said:
Lee

Has it arrived yet?

Can you let me know the height between shelves?

Cheers

Simon

No it flaming well hasn't :mad:

Sony shop still say it is being delivered today.

Cheers
Lee

You must be pulling your hair out by now!

Hope it arrives soon.

Must be frustrating! I'm frustrated enough for you just waiting for you guys to get yours and have a play and report back here!!! Hee hee hee!

Delivery people have just phoned me to say they are running very late and will be with me around 8pm. :mad:

I've had all day off work and had to cancel a family night out to a Restaurant.

Sony shop will be getting a phone call in the morning.

I'm at work all weekend as well so may take me a while to get reviews, measurements and pictures posted.

Cheers
Lee

O.K so I've just got back from the Sony Center at Brent Cross London and they are charging £1399 with stand but with only 1 year warranty! He would not budge so I left it.........gutted
I don't mind paying the premium on top of the "online" price as long as I get piece of mind with the warranty situation........at that price you do get the stand (but I don't recall seeing a price without it). He wanted to charge del as well at first, but we got around that pretty quick, but he was adament about the warranty!......

How on earth did you get it for £1300 with 3 years.... :lease: do I need to know a magic word...........

I think it is down to the individual stores as to what type of deal they do...

I know my four "Local" Sony Centres are all doing the three year warranty and all would work delivery in with the price.

Didn't realise they would deliver at bloody midnight though.

Cheers
Lee

step1528 said:
cheers for the help guys, i just got back from the sony centre and i am picking mine up tomorrow morning :D :D :D

£1300 with 3 year warrenty.....should realy do some work now :rolleyes:

Which branch did you get this from and was there a specfic reason why they knocked off an additional £99?

gpender

I went to Comet and they wanted £1400 with 2 years warrenty, when i went to the sony centre i had with me a printout of the webpage of the same TV from Empire Direct PRICED £1187. I asked one of the older staff members (>13) if he could price match it if i took the tv without warrenty, after a bit of banter we settled on £1300 with 3 years warrenty :)

oh by the way, i E-mailed empire direct (before i went to Sony centre) asking if i could have it for the £1187 instead of the current £1227 and they said yes :thumbsup: i stated id put the transaction through straight away for that price other wise it was more benifical to go to Comet. (may still do it for you if you mail them soon)

p.s i finnished work at 3 to go and pick it up, i had to do 2 runs (1 for the stand) i have it set up in my room, got to go and play now....more fine tuning to do :)

thanks but you still didn't state which branch you got it from.....

sorry, it was lincoln, mabye it was because i picked it up??

i ordered mine from empire direct last friday i got it for £1150 and my credit card company is giving me a further 2 yr warranty after the manufacturer one runs out recieved it today at abot 11am :D i have it set up on the glass stand as my old unit looked a bit wobbly when i had the tv on it, dont want it falling over on me!
the stand is quite big , no exact measurments yet, but spacing inbetween glass shelves isnt huge i did manage to get my dvd player in the small shelf made for a centre speaker though ;)
ARGOS are selling the stand by itself for £249.99 :eek: i played a little fast & furious superbit edt just to make sure all was working & wow pic was great, lee i hope you got yours and i would have a few words for the sony centre making you wait allday then not phoning until mid evening! give them a chewing tomorrow!! lol :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom